Reviews for An Alford Plea
hit-the-duckies chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
loved it! i would love to see you write a full length roseward story...cane i make requests like that?
wonkeygirl chapter 1 . 12/1/2010
Wow, you've taken Rosalie and put her on a level many don't think about. She practically raped Edward - and, I feel wrongly, gained her power back. This is one I'm going to have to read several times over; it certainly explains the power struggle that so obviously plays out between them in the books.

It's rare to come across ff that yo have to think about, I've hardly read ff in ages, but you may have reminded me that it's still worth a gander to find gems like this.
Alterite chapter 1 . 11/30/2010
I feel that with your story, I got to Rose better. I loved it!

Love from France,

A. xx
starsshot chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
Another fabulous one-shot. My fave line: “He sits on a glass throne, Edward does. This pedestal he has raised himself on is precarious.”

You’re so right about this because the Twi books are mostly from Bella’s POV, so she always describes him as perfection, but he’s not, he’s flawed ( I love him nonetheless). As you’ve clearly written, he wasn’t the easiest guy to live with before Bella, with his tortured conscience and irritating ability to read minds.

There are not as many stories written about the other characters and in canon, so I was thrilled to read yours. Of course E/B will always be the top stories I go to, but it’s nice to read pre-Twilight/fill-in stories for all characters.

Again, if you do pursue the publishing route, I hope you will let us know. I’ve read many short story books, and some pale in comparison to your work.
Legna989 chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
I like this. I think it's quite in keeping with canon, particularly your characterizations. You've managed to retain Rosalie's anger, resentment and bitterness without making her seem like a one-note harpy. You've made her bitterness relatable. I especially loved that you gave her a mechanism by which she was able to sort of seize some of herself back - something that helped her infinitely more than the revenge she took against her attackers.

I also thought Edward was very in character. "Edward is not repelled by sex. He is scared of it." This is so very true, I think. Bella's humanity is a convenient excuse for Edward to avoid sex with her, but it's important to keep in mind that he forewent several opportunities to lose his virginity over the years. The idea that he's afraid of sex is more plausible than - and fits well with - the idea that he wanted to save himself for "the one."

And of course, Rosalie's realization of this put her on a level playing field with Edward. I also can't help but think that the incident with Rosalie helped set the stage for his relationship with Bella, too, in both good and bad ways.

Thank you for writing.
montannaleigh chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
this was amazing! I love roseward, and this is the best cannon yet still smutty roseward I've ever read :)
Sunshinemommy chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
Wow! Very different from the style I've come to associate you with. I really liked it. You captured the essence of Rosalie very well. You're a very versatile writer! Congrats on winning the reader's poll and the judge's pick :)
futuregirl1709 chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
I wasn't sure if I should read this and if I did, if I was going to like it, because it's Roseward. I have this freaky thing that I can't handle Edward with any woman other than Bella. But then the summary said canon, so I thought 'what the hell, let's go for it'. And I'm glad I did! I loved your Rosalie. I always found it hard to feel some compassion for canon Rose, but this, reading how she felt just after her change and from her POV, it made me warm up to her.

My favorite part was when she walked past Edward's door: "He came. She saw. She conquered." Shows just how confident she has become again, proud to be a beautiful woman even though she's frozen in time. And of course she's a little smug. I'd be too if I'd gotten to Edward like that :)

Great oneshot, written beautifully!
richinlaughter chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
This is fantastic! Thank you! I love Rosalie getting her mojo back :)
saranic chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Love a good Roseward and this was great.

I like how you made it canon and just as a missing moment that would explain things.

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed this.
musicdaydreams chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
I was a little hesitant to read this, because I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the material (Roseward and all that) or what to expect. But then, because it was written by you, I decided to give it a chance. And I thought it was great. I loved the way Rosalie was able to take back her power, which she felt had been completely stripped from her, first by Royce, then by Carlisle, then by Edward. Rosalie is not meant to live a life feeling less than. But it wasn't just power over someone, it was power over her situation...she can control how she chooses to live this basically unwanted life of hers, and she has the strength to accept it now. I was just so pleasantly surprised by this one-shot.
lisamichelle17 chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
You know, I am so damn proud of you for writing this. Like you, I mostly read canon E/B but when I saw this alert I knew that it was going to be well written and I knew that I would enjoy it. Also, congratulations on winning this contest. It is well deserved. A few of my thoughts:

1) I actually empathized with your Rosalie. She was raped, turned into a vampire and lived with people she barely knew. She felt as if she has no choice or no control. This Edward is very much reminds me of canon Edward (if we ever get Midnight Sun, that might give us a bigger glimpse at the Edward in the past).

2) I also very much love that Rosalie was written strong, independent and beautiful. Equally, Edward acted like a snob, arrogant and aristocratic but that is the era that he is from. That is all he has known. I cannot hate neither of them.

3) I loved the lead up to the attraction and how Edward was determined to hide it from Rosalie. The way you wrote the end was extremely sensual. I feel in that act that they shared assisted in Rosalie re-discovering how much power she does have.

I have to admit that this one story can explain a lot about why Rosalie and Edward have such animosity between them. Thank you, so much, Anya. It was perfect.
LightStarDusting chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
This was gorgeous. Brilliantly done and it totally happened. TOTALLY.

"Rosalie is doubly pleased that not only does this little game she plays cause Edward discomfort, but it also gets him out of the room."

I love her.

It came full circle. You did a lovely job of telling this story.
spanglemaker9 chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
Oooh, this was SO GOOD! I'm formally inserting it into canon to explain everything about Edward and Rose that the books never do.. Excellent work!
Songirl chapter 1 . 11/27/2010