Reviews for The friend, the foe and the fox
Guest chapter 14 . 11/16/2014
i enjoyed it a lot! thanks
Rebecca chapter 14 . 8/13/2014
I must say this story was excellent. Diego's "voice" was fantastic - I don't normally care for first-person perspective, but it suited absolutely beautifully here. It seemed very in-keeping with the show, especially the humor in how Diego speaks, sometimes. I laughed out loud more than once. It was great.

I must also credit you that the (major) original characters were well thought out and three-dimensional and very well presented. Good job.
Maddie chapter 14 . 9/28/2013
you did really really well. The characters and their reactions- especially Diago's internal monologues- are spot on. and the plot. Well thought out, interesting, lots of twits. I loved it! please keep writing, a lot.
Asj Johnson chapter 13 . 3/5/2013
The thoughts about swordfighting while they dueled is neat. And, poor Diego and his not thinking of all possibilities.
Too bad about the mess Diego and the brothers had made. I was kind of hoping they could blame it on Zorro, but I also thought it would put him in a bad light.
Asj Johnson chapter 12 . 3/5/2013
This fic started getting quite interesting to me in the last few chapters. Especially after the fire. There's been a few things revealed that I already had thought of, but I kind of like that. I guess it's because you give clues beforehand and give the opportunity to find out before even Don Diego does. When there was mention of burying Zorro, I thought the sergeant might have gotten a different body, since it was mentioned about some people dying from a fire before. And when Zorro was talking to the Magistrado, and was thinking about why the guy couldn't kill him himself, I thought that might mean they're brothers. Though, the identity of the impostor Zorro came as a surprise. I had immediately thought of Bernardo (except that he would probably be recognized) or Rosa (though I doubt Diego would like her doing that). ...seems like there was another thing I had thought of before it was revealed, but I can't think of what it was now. Though, I think Garcia's known about Zorro's identity pretty much since the very beginning, when he thought about the mustache, which makes him seem quite a bit smarter than he appears. Especially some things after that. Even his response to Diego's words when being worried about him talking if he drinks too much. Hmm... I also thought Zorro was a bit incautious when he had stopped to talk to Rosa, which turned out correct. Though I think that was mainly about, if I had a secret like that, I would be quite cautious, while Zorro's been around for quite awhile and had never been all that cautious.
mimoji chapter 14 . 1/21/2013
great story ida... and as u said it calls for a sequel!

will be waiting patiently
June chapter 14 . 11/27/2012
I love this story - your portrayal of the world of WD's Zorro is perfect! I hope you will do a follow-up, meanwhile I will bookmark it for future re-reading enjoyment. Thank you.
Osheen Nevoy chapter 10 . 12/30/2011
I love all the twists and turns in this story! The complexities in it are so deep and multi-faceted that it's a wonder that the characters (at least Diego, who sees all the various strands of it) manage to keep it all straight in their minds - or that you can keep it straight in your mind, too! You are a master story-weaver. So many intense and moving and just perfect elements of this. The dialogue, the characters' voices are so right for the characters in the tv series - particularly with Don Alejandro, I think time and again that I can actually hear him saying the lines you've written for him. Diego's increasing desperation and despair, and the overwhelming shock of the discovery of the body in the grave ... Diego thinking that he is so tired of secrets ... And then, goodness, what a character Barcelo is! What a wonderful creation you have in him, but my heavens, how maddening the poor man is! So painfully noble and honorable and duty-bound, one doesn't know whether one should want to hug him or to strangle him! And what a horrible situation he is in, being so afraid that Diego is Zorro, and hoping so much that he is not ... And Sergeant Garcia! The poor, dear man! I do admit to some regret that he once again is forced to give up his conviction that Diego is Zorro ... although I know, of course, why Zorro is unwilling to let him know the truth, in order to protect him, I do have a wistful longing for Garcia to be taken into Diego's confidence - he certainly deserves such a gesture of trust and respect, after all that he has done for el Zorro.

And now this twist with the Magistrado masquerading as Zorro - you completely took me by surprise with that. It was a very good touch, to have that plot element of his newly trimmed hair that Diego and Bernardo notice. I have no idea what our dear Magistrado is up to - but I look forward eagerly to finding out!
mereader chapter 14 . 12/18/2011

There were some seriousness and drama.)

Also love the ending.
MidnightRain143 chapter 14 . 10/10/2011
This story was absolutely phenomenal! I have read all of your Zorro stories thus far and they are all amazing, but I think this one is by far my favorite! Your characters are so well crafted... I loved Barcelo and even Peraza - you wrote them so well. Rosa is my favorite addition to the usual cast - she is so fiery and absolutely perfect for Diego! I like their little adorable love scenes. I'm so glad he finally found someone who appreciates both Diego and Zorro (but Diego more!).

I think my favorite scene in this whole story was when Garcia is accused and Diego plans to give himself up. He reflects about how the child won't be born for four more months and he won't be able to meet him/her. That was so incredibly moving. You're really great at creating emotional scenes and getting the emotions to shine through your characters. That's a skill that not a lot of writers have.

And as for the end... Barcelo is coming back? Can Diego get no rest? Secretly, I love it. I had no idea this was going to be a trilogy, now I'm super excited for the next installment! I cannot wait to see what you have planned next, I'm sure it'll be as enjoyable an adventure as this one was.

You're a great writer, don't ever stop! :D
3LW00D chapter 14 . 9/7/2011
I have never read a Zorro fanfic before, and I must say that this story was the perfect introduction! Even though I am too young to remember watching Zorro on WD, the reruns and reading the original books sparked quite fire, and you have fueled it wonderfully! Bravo! I look forward to reading more.
katie1999 chapter 14 . 8/15/2011
Good story, written very well with some humor and refreshing to read from the I perspective.
WDZorroFan chapter 14 . 4/25/2011
May as well make use of my account here. :) This is really, really good. Damn good. Sharp, witty dialogue, crafty plots and outstanding characterizations. You’re the best Zorro fanfic writer I’ve read.
VampireNaomi chapter 11 . 4/24/2011
Alejandro's opening line in this chapter was perhaps the funniest thing you have ever written. It brought a grin to my face despite the grim events of the previous chapter, and it's just such a perfect thing for him to say. I'm so amused by the change in Alejandro's behaviour towards Garcia and how the sergeant is a little overwhelmed by it all. Diego's wry narration makes it even better.

I absolutely loved the conversation between Diego and Garcia. It was such an emotional experience for both men and shows so well how much Garcia is willing to do for those he cares about. He may not be the most skilled man in Los Angeles, but he has a big heart. I'm glad that this scene showed that Diego considers him a friend and isn't simply using him to get information about the army. His gratitude and the guilt he feels for having to lie to Garcia were wonderfully portrayed all through the conversation.

The exchange between Diego and Rosa was wonderful as well. I simply love their interaction as a couple and how their senses of humour match so well. Rosa has such a fiery personality, and yet it never feels like she's overshadowing the other characters. Original female characters tend to do that sometimes, but Rosa has found the perfect role in your stories and never tries to step over the line. In a story by some other author, she would probably be dressing up as Zorro and fighting alongside him, or doing something else entirely unbelievable. I like it how you let her be such a strong and clever character who is able to support Diego from the background. And I quite agreed with her opinion on that Diego had to do something about Peraza. The man was starting to get too bold. Besides, since he's my favourite of your characters in this story, I was quite anxious to find out more about him and the plot he's involved in.

I really enjoyed the scene at the camp. My favourite scenes always have lots of characters in one place, interacting with each other. There's always so much going on in situations like this, and it was wonderfully evident in this chapter. I loved how Carmelita sought protection from Alejandro and how this made Rivera seem even crueller than otherwise. Plus, Reyes and Bernardo were a wonderful pair, keeping an eye on everything while looking so harmless. Diego's inner jabs at Peraza were most amusing! It was wonderful to watch how the tension just kept rising and how all of the characters had to pretend that everything was fine since they all had something to hide.

I absolutely loved this chapter even though nothing dramatic happened in it. It set the scene for so much excitement and adventure in the future chapters that it almost made me squirm when I first read it and realised that I had to wait for an update to see what would happen.
VampireNaomi chapter 10 . 3/9/2011
This is my favourite chapter in the story because it was so full of intense emotion and introduced surprise plot points that made the reader feel like someone just punched them in the stomach. After the drama of the previous chapter and how Diego yet again got away, I was expecting a few quiet moments. When Alejandro and Bernardo burst in to tell Diego the news about Garcia, my jaw actually dropped. It was such a brilliant, painful and exciting turn of events! Now all the subtle hints about Garcia suspecting Diego and wanting to ensure Zorro’s safety were suddenly relevant. I also love it how you were able to turn what I considered funny details in the previous chapters into a tragedy in this one.

Diego’s reaction to the news was painful to observe, especially when he told his father about how he should have done something about Garcia sooner but didn’t because he liked to use his help. That was such an intriguing angle to use, and it makes me look at the usual humour in the interaction between Diego and Garcia in a different way. Their conversations are always so amusing, and it’s frightening to think that Garcia’s fondness for Zorro could lead to his doom in such a way.

The part in which Diego hit the keys of the piano was a wonderful detail. I wish this story were a movie or a TV series so that this scene could be filmed.

Diego’s desperation about the situation was so believable and heartbreaking. I felt so sorry for him and Garcia as he went through the list of possible ways to help and came to the conclusion that there was nothing he could do. When I first read this chapter, I was truly frightened for the sergeant. And for Diego when he got the idea that he would sacrifice himself in Garcia’s place.

The scene in which he made that decision was masterfully written. I love the way you alternated between Diego’s agonized thoughts, especially the ones about how he won’t be alive to see his child be born, and the digging of the grave. It has to be one of the most effective and powerful scenes in the whole story. It left me completely speechless.

You took me entirely by surprise when it turned out that there actually was a body in the coffin. In that scene, the characters’ reactions certainly mirrored those of the reader. Diego and Barcelo’s shock and surprise were wonderfully portrayed. I especially like the part when Diego went through the things he wanted to say but ended up keeping his cover. His anguish and tiredness over what he has done were brilliant and brought a dark edge to Zorro’s adventures that I’ve never seen before. His guilty thoughts about how he should have been more careful were just painful to read.

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any more intense, you wrote that wonderful exchange between Diego and his father. The part in which he called Alejandro papa broke my heart. I think you’ve definitely outdone yourself with this chapter. I mean, by now I know what a great, great writer you are, but I still never expected to be so touched by a story. I think this chapter is easily the most emotional and heart-wrenching piece of Zorro fiction that I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

The scene with Garcia was such a wonderful experience after the grimness of the earlier scenes. I couldn’t help it; I had to laugh out loud when he admitted that they had just buried one of the vagabonds in the grave. And the part about Padre Benitez! Truly hilarious! I don’t know how you did it, but somehow you turned the story from a tragedy into a brilliant comedy in just a few lines. I can’t even describe how happy this scene made me. I was so relieved for both Diego and Garcia.

The scene at the tavern had lots of great things going for it. I loved the image of all of the pueblo coming together to mourn Zorro and talk of his heroics. I loved the part when Alejandro started to get too proud and had to pretend that he was grieving. I loved Diego’s observation that there were plenty of people in the pueblo who wear masks. I loved that Diego got to play at his own funeral, so to speak. And most of all, I loved Diego’s thoughts about how he had learnt his lesson. Great, great ideas!

I was seriously expecting the chapter to end here, so I was a bit curious to see what the last scene would hold. Again, you managed to take me completely by surprise. Barcelo’s arrival was very powerful, perhaps my favourite scene with this character. It was easy to imagine all the tension and shock as he told the people that Zorro was still alive and demanded Diego to show his hand. It was such an amazing moment as I couldn’t imagine how Diego would get out of that one.

And then you pulled yet another surprise twist. I never saw that mysterious impostor coming, so it was just delightful to read the scene. It was funny and exciting at the same time. I can’t think of many other scenes that have left me so flustered. Also, Diego’s quiet suggestion that Barcelo should go after Zorro was one of the funniest moments in the whole story.

Finally, the last few lines of this chapter raised quite a lot of questions and intrigue about the magistrado and who he really is and what he wants. I applaud you for this since it certainly made the story even more interesting.