Reviews for The friend, the foe and the fox
PheaVampire chapter 14 . 6/16
Jak ja się cieszę, że nie musze pisać tego komentarza po angielsku.
Kilka lat temu przeczytałam inne twoje opowiadanie i również byłam zachwycona, ale tym razem… Szanowna autorko, NIGDY w życiu nie chciało mi się czytać tak długiego fanfika, a od twojego nie mogłam się oderwać! Wspaniale rozplanowałaś tak długą i skomplikowaną historię, unikając urwanych wątków i ślepych uliczek, wszystkie strzelby Czechowa wystrzeliły, jak powinny, postacie świetnie oddawały charaktery z serialu, a te nowe były dopracowane i wiarygodne… Ależ mi serce waliło podczas rozmowy Zorra i kapitana pod spaloną chatą i w tawernie, gdzie Diego już, już miał zdejmować tę swoją rękawicę… (swoją drogą, chętnie bym się dowiedziała jak by się sprawy potoczyły, gdyby faktycznie musiał ją zdjąć). Szczere gratulacje.
Guest chapter 14 . 11/16/2014
i enjoyed it a lot! thanks
Rebecca chapter 14 . 8/13/2014
I must say this story was excellent. Diego's "voice" was fantastic - I don't normally care for first-person perspective, but it suited absolutely beautifully here. It seemed very in-keeping with the show, especially the humor in how Diego speaks, sometimes. I laughed out loud more than once. It was great.

I must also credit you that the (major) original characters were well thought out and three-dimensional and very well presented. Good job.
Maddie chapter 14 . 9/28/2013
you did really really well. The characters and their reactions- especially Diago's internal monologues- are spot on. and the plot. Well thought out, interesting, lots of twits. I loved it! please keep writing, a lot.
Asj Johnson chapter 13 . 3/5/2013
The thoughts about swordfighting while they dueled is neat. And, poor Diego and his not thinking of all possibilities.
Too bad about the mess Diego and the brothers had made. I was kind of hoping they could blame it on Zorro, but I also thought it would put him in a bad light.
Asj Johnson chapter 12 . 3/5/2013
This fic started getting quite interesting to me in the last few chapters. Especially after the fire. There's been a few things revealed that I already had thought of, but I kind of like that. I guess it's because you give clues beforehand and give the opportunity to find out before even Don Diego does. When there was mention of burying Zorro, I thought the sergeant might have gotten a different body, since it was mentioned about some people dying from a fire before. And when Zorro was talking to the Magistrado, and was thinking about why the guy couldn't kill him himself, I thought that might mean they're brothers. Though, the identity of the impostor Zorro came as a surprise. I had immediately thought of Bernardo (except that he would probably be recognized) or Rosa (though I doubt Diego would like her doing that). ...seems like there was another thing I had thought of before it was revealed, but I can't think of what it was now. Though, I think Garcia's known about Zorro's identity pretty much since the very beginning, when he thought about the mustache, which makes him seem quite a bit smarter than he appears. Especially some things after that. Even his response to Diego's words when being worried about him talking if he drinks too much. Hmm... I also thought Zorro was a bit incautious when he had stopped to talk to Rosa, which turned out correct. Though I think that was mainly about, if I had a secret like that, I would be quite cautious, while Zorro's been around for quite awhile and had never been all that cautious.
mimoji chapter 14 . 1/21/2013
great story ida... and as u said it calls for a sequel!

will be waiting patiently
June chapter 14 . 11/27/2012
I love this story - your portrayal of the world of WD's Zorro is perfect! I hope you will do a follow-up, meanwhile I will bookmark it for future re-reading enjoyment. Thank you.
Osheen Nevoy chapter 10 . 12/30/2011
I love all the twists and turns in this story! The complexities in it are so deep and multi-faceted that it's a wonder that the characters (at least Diego, who sees all the various strands of it) manage to keep it all straight in their minds - or that you can keep it straight in your mind, too! You are a master story-weaver. So many intense and moving and just perfect elements of this. The dialogue, the characters' voices are so right for the characters in the tv series - particularly with Don Alejandro, I think time and again that I can actually hear him saying the lines you've written for him. Diego's increasing desperation and despair, and the overwhelming shock of the discovery of the body in the grave ... Diego thinking that he is so tired of secrets ... And then, goodness, what a character Barcelo is! What a wonderful creation you have in him, but my heavens, how maddening the poor man is! So painfully noble and honorable and duty-bound, one doesn't know whether one should want to hug him or to strangle him! And what a horrible situation he is in, being so afraid that Diego is Zorro, and hoping so much that he is not ... And Sergeant Garcia! The poor, dear man! I do admit to some regret that he once again is forced to give up his conviction that Diego is Zorro ... although I know, of course, why Zorro is unwilling to let him know the truth, in order to protect him, I do have a wistful longing for Garcia to be taken into Diego's confidence - he certainly deserves such a gesture of trust and respect, after all that he has done for el Zorro.

And now this twist with the Magistrado masquerading as Zorro - you completely took me by surprise with that. It was a very good touch, to have that plot element of his newly trimmed hair that Diego and Bernardo notice. I have no idea what our dear Magistrado is up to - but I look forward eagerly to finding out!
mereader chapter 14 . 12/18/2011
Amazing!

There were some seriousness and drama.)

Also love the ending.
MidnightRain143 chapter 14 . 10/10/2011
This story was absolutely phenomenal! I have read all of your Zorro stories thus far and they are all amazing, but I think this one is by far my favorite! Your characters are so well crafted... I loved Barcelo and even Peraza - you wrote them so well. Rosa is my favorite addition to the usual cast - she is so fiery and absolutely perfect for Diego! I like their little adorable love scenes. I'm so glad he finally found someone who appreciates both Diego and Zorro (but Diego more!).

I think my favorite scene in this whole story was when Garcia is accused and Diego plans to give himself up. He reflects about how the child won't be born for four more months and he won't be able to meet him/her. That was so incredibly moving. You're really great at creating emotional scenes and getting the emotions to shine through your characters. That's a skill that not a lot of writers have.

And as for the end... Barcelo is coming back? Can Diego get no rest? Secretly, I love it. I had no idea this was going to be a trilogy, now I'm super excited for the next installment! I cannot wait to see what you have planned next, I'm sure it'll be as enjoyable an adventure as this one was.

You're a great writer, don't ever stop! :D
Shayne Pratt chapter 14 . 9/7/2011
I have never read a Zorro fanfic before, and I must say that this story was the perfect introduction! Even though I am too young to remember watching Zorro on WD, the reruns and reading the original books sparked quite fire, and you have fueled it wonderfully! Bravo! I look forward to reading more.
katie1999 chapter 14 . 8/15/2011
Good story, written very well with some humor and refreshing to read from the I perspective.
WDZorroFan chapter 14 . 4/25/2011
May as well make use of my account here. :) This is really, really good. Damn good. Sharp, witty dialogue, crafty plots and outstanding characterizations. You’re the best Zorro fanfic writer I’ve read.
VampireNaomi chapter 11 . 4/24/2011
Alejandro's opening line in this chapter was perhaps the funniest thing you have ever written. It brought a grin to my face despite the grim events of the previous chapter, and it's just such a perfect thing for him to say. I'm so amused by the change in Alejandro's behaviour towards Garcia and how the sergeant is a little overwhelmed by it all. Diego's wry narration makes it even better.

I absolutely loved the conversation between Diego and Garcia. It was such an emotional experience for both men and shows so well how much Garcia is willing to do for those he cares about. He may not be the most skilled man in Los Angeles, but he has a big heart. I'm glad that this scene showed that Diego considers him a friend and isn't simply using him to get information about the army. His gratitude and the guilt he feels for having to lie to Garcia were wonderfully portrayed all through the conversation.

The exchange between Diego and Rosa was wonderful as well. I simply love their interaction as a couple and how their senses of humour match so well. Rosa has such a fiery personality, and yet it never feels like she's overshadowing the other characters. Original female characters tend to do that sometimes, but Rosa has found the perfect role in your stories and never tries to step over the line. In a story by some other author, she would probably be dressing up as Zorro and fighting alongside him, or doing something else entirely unbelievable. I like it how you let her be such a strong and clever character who is able to support Diego from the background. And I quite agreed with her opinion on that Diego had to do something about Peraza. The man was starting to get too bold. Besides, since he's my favourite of your characters in this story, I was quite anxious to find out more about him and the plot he's involved in.

I really enjoyed the scene at the camp. My favourite scenes always have lots of characters in one place, interacting with each other. There's always so much going on in situations like this, and it was wonderfully evident in this chapter. I loved how Carmelita sought protection from Alejandro and how this made Rivera seem even crueller than otherwise. Plus, Reyes and Bernardo were a wonderful pair, keeping an eye on everything while looking so harmless. Diego's inner jabs at Peraza were most amusing! It was wonderful to watch how the tension just kept rising and how all of the characters had to pretend that everything was fine since they all had something to hide.

I absolutely loved this chapter even though nothing dramatic happened in it. It set the scene for so much excitement and adventure in the future chapters that it almost made me squirm when I first read it and realised that I had to wait for an update to see what would happen.