Reviews for Fighting the Good Fight
MuggleCreator chapter 2 . 2/22
Brilliant. Oh, Min...and Harry...
duj chapter 2 . 11/13/2013
Well-written, but I utterly disagree with the argument and the conclusion. Harry's Cruciatus was not only completely unnecessary but it endangered all the innocents in the room because it prompted him to come out from under his Cloak and effectively give warning he was about to attack. (If Carrow had been a better fighter, that would have been disastrous.) It was a war-crime, and war, with its loneliness, stress and associated evils, is nevertheless not an excuse for crimes of war. Harry *should* look back at this incident with shame. He *should* know he was wrong, and and that he has the capacity to go dark.

Of course, Minerva is wrong too - they all are - in thinking Harry wouldn't throw dark curses except in extremity. That wasn't even his first Crucio, nor was it his first successful Unforgivable, and even before he started using them, he had cultivated darkness in himself by fantasising about them - for instance, daydreaming wistfully in GoF about Snape under Crucio. But leaving that aside, the equation is still wrong. Bolstering Harry's future self-image does not justify using an Unforgivable. It's completely out of proportion - and wrongheaded too. If Harry needs to come to terms with what he's done, it should be through counselling, not through being fed lies.

Griselda is wrong when she argues that it is only intention to do evil that makes Unforgivables wrong. There can be a greater good justification for using Unforgivables in extreme circumstances; there is no justification for using them in lesser circumstances. What makes a war-crime is not merely the intention but the proportionality: perceived military benefit to likely collateral damage. Using an Unforgivable when a lesser spell would do has no military benefit, and there is always collateral damage - if nothing else, it lessens the caster's resistance to using it again in ever less-appropriate situations, thus creating future victims.
JustFishy chapter 2 . 7/6/2012
*grins*

I just love obnoxious logic!
Captain Evermind chapter 2 . 5/15/2012
Nicely done. :-) I've always felt that that particular episode required a little more justification than the books provided! Very nice analysis and defence.
Califaction chapter 2 . 2/27/2012
Thank you so much for writing this! I had always wondered about the Unforgivable use in Book 7 and about McGonagall's take on it, and I am so glad that you did justice to the topic and to her reactions. You did a great job exploring the ethics of Unforgivable use and the guilt and personal qualms that come after using the curses. I particularly liked the scene with Moody during the first war, which I could definitely see happening. Thanks for writing and posting!
AmiliaPadfoot chapter 2 . 11/30/2011
Genius! I can't actually think of any adequate words to say how much I loved this, i'm still trying to memories every single detail your wrote. I love it when people can pick up on small things and visualize and write a whole story behind that thin, the reasoning behind it, the after thoughts to it. You have my respect.
sammyfish chapter 2 . 5/10/2011
I love this. You've picked up on one tiny detail, and in turned it into a story of its own, believable, convincing and with some truly fascinating theories and ideas. WEll done!
Jadzania chapter 2 . 3/6/2011
wonderful
The Winterwitch chapter 1 . 1/21/2011
I hope you forgive me for not writing another review to this marvellous fic, but just saying how impressed I am by your storytelling and fic writing abilites, your characterisations, your reasoning and everything else, and how much I love this wonderful and exceptional story!
BlackGryphon101 chapter 2 . 1/18/2011
I love the story.
Rosa Clearwater chapter 2 . 1/7/2011
But there is one condition I'd like to make, before we hail you in as the new Headmistress," Professor Marchbanks added, and now she was positively grinning.

Minerva had to swallow several times before she could manage a word.

"What condition?"

Professor Marchbanks pointed at the teapot. "That you show me you can Transfigure this into proper tea. As the brew stands, it's hardly worth an "Acceptable".

Brilliant! I believe the characters were completely in cannon and I loved it :D
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 12/18/2010
But of _course_ it was perfectly ok for her to cast the Imperius and for Harry to do that Crucio. They're Gryffindors, and anything they do is always right.

Just ask the Marauders.

Funny, there's no guilt about almost murdering Snape.

Of course, that was perfectly all right, too. (see rule about almost killing Slimy Snakes always being ok).

And Minerva is about to start another couple of decades where she teaches her favorite House that anything _they_ do is right, too, especially if Slytherins are harmed.

Oh, brave new world, where the house of the Snake finally learns its true place!

What a pity no Slytherin is _ever_ going to be stupid enough to help out the next time a new Dark Lord shows up.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
They've always been good friends, except for those months when we all thought he was … but they had made their peace long before the Battle.

-Right, yes, but only if you consider attempted murder making peace. But it's always ok to almost kill a Slytherin if you're a Gryffindor at Hogwarts! Doesn't anybody remember that?

As for Unforgivables, of course they're ok when Gryffindors do them. That's one of the rules, too.

Although if Minerva resigns, I expect Albus's portrait will be very disappointed. He so loved having Snape as his handpuppet for that year, and no doubted expected to continue his reign through Minerva.
tetleybag chapter 2 . 12/11/2010
Apart from the thoughtful exploration of the Imperius, reflecting the entire dimension of the dilemma, and Griselda's excellent, insightful way of handling it that works just right for Minerva precisely because she doesn't try to spare her, I simply love the rich detail you give this story. The magic, for one (ink-tea - check / anything-biscuit - nope). Griselda's comment on the strength of the tea, Wilhelmina ...

... and how the way Minerva handles Harry in the Common Room reflects what Griselda does for Minerva. Mentoring at its finest.

Not to mention the end. A wonderful note on which to end this.

In case you can't tell, love it! Thank you so much for taking on this prompt; it couldn't have landed in better hands!
Swallow B chapter 2 . 12/6/2010
Each time I read this, I am impressed. There is a very valid question here, about why the Unforgivables were used so carelessly. It's the question of war ethics and I don't like how it was treated (or not treated) by JKR. That Minerva, of all people, should use an Unforgivable, and call Harry "gallant" when he does so. You have come up with a very well thought out answer, and very IC.

No, Minerva would not be content to listen to her friends telling her whatever she does is right because they love her. Griselda Marchbanks was the perfect person to speak to her.

I also love the witches' tea and the subtlety of the "water with colour" versus the real tea. Of course, no British person would quietly drink water with colour.

And "It's about time Hogwarts was led by someone who realises that they can be wrong". Did Dumbledore ever learn his lesson?