Reviews for A Toxic Lullaby
LADARTHA chapter 67 . 3/22
A bit long winded, but, understand the reasoning of it. Edward, in a way is to narrow minded in his out look of things and Bella is too reserved. Guess each are that way due to what they endured earlier in life.
Random person chapter 63 . 2/18
Gulp. Well . . . just when we thought they were making progress. Another monkey wrench. I wonder where Angela got all those toxins in her system.
Random Person chapter 60 . 2/17
Yes, thank you, Edward, for that lovely mental image. Excuse me while go find some brain bleach. XD
Random Person chapter 39 . 2/13
Dang it. Curse you tiny phone touch screen.

Sorry about that. Wasn't quite finished yet. So, um, where was I? So, Edward 's unable to legally give consent, and Angela was sober and planned this. Based on U.S. law, there is a rape case here that could see a trial if the perpetrator was alive and Edward decided to press charges. Now, the panty-pushing by Edward might be a point in Angela's favor, as well as just how drunk Edward was. I don't know for sure; I'm a college student, not a legal expert, so I can't say for certain. But from my layman' perspective, if this were a court case, there is strong possibility that Angela would be found guilty of rape in the U.S. I've no idea what the laws on this in Sweden say, but I'm going by U.S. law since this did happen in the U.S.

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to turn this into such a long rant and I hope I didn't make you feel bad. This is a genuinely good story. I just couldn't stay quiet. I understand the way you see the incident and how it could be interpreted as not rape/gray area. I was starting to see it your way myself, but then I thought about how this would be interpreted if the genders were reversed, and I saw what looked like a double standard to me. If this had been a woman saying "stop" or "slow down," people would be calling it rape, even though the victim was able to push off the perp, because of what happened. And I'm kind of in hypothetical case mode, since I'm in a media law class. The Edward-Angela incident combined with that class and my own questions got me curious about what the law had to say, since it's supposed to be objective, and from that sprung my word vomit. I do see a double standard when it comes to men and women and rape. It's like people think being big and strong makes you immune to such things. Even the aliens in War of the Worlds were defeated by a bunch of little microbes. I'm a woman. I'm not that small and I know martial arts. If I were a man with those same givens and I got really drunk or drugged or had my legs broken or some other injury, my strength and knowledge would be neutralized by those outside factors.
Ok. I'm really done this time. Please don't think that any of this means I don't like your story, I do. I really do. By the way, I saw that you've got a sequel to this with, like, 90 chapters. Congrats on making it that far! Not everybody does. And thank you for getting me thinking. I enjoyed doing the research and thinking this through. Again, I really hope this isn't too harsh. I'm not trying to criticize you or your opinion, I'm just sharing mine and giving evidence that I believe backs it up. Nice job!:)
Random Person chapter 39 . 2/13
Hey, just wanted to say I like this story; it's good reading. I also read the first story. That one was good too:). The kids' antics are adorable, and the drama and characters

I know it's been a while since this chapter was posted, but I did want to give my opinion on Angela's little stunt with Edward. Your point that Edward did push Angela's panties aside and that he's basically twice her size did put it into a gray area for me, but it still didn't sit right in my mind that he wasn't raped. My thinking is that it doesn't really matter how big or strong a person is if their faculties are impaired, which Edward's were. He did seem out of it. I then did a little thought experiment. I reversed the genders. If a man did to a woman what Angela did to Edward (getting her drunk, luring her out to and into his car and doing what you described) that would qualify as rape under U.S. law. (I was curious and looked it up)

According to the U.S. definition of rape (as of 2012), rape is (I apologize if I'm making anyone uncomfortable, I'm doing my best to be exact and not graphic)
"The carnal knowledge of a person, without the consent of the victim, including instances where the victim is incapable of giving consent because of his/her age or because of his/her temporary or permanent mental or physical incapacity" (uci. fbi. gov). Based on this definition (this is one of three offenses under the summary of rape), I posit that Edward was, in fact, raped. What Angela did to Edward would be considered "carnal knowledge," even though she didn't finish. As for consent, Edward would be legally incapable of giving consent based on this definition; due to alcohol his mental and physical faculties were impaired. You say he he wasn't so drunk that he didn't know what he was getting into, but alcohol does lower inhibitions and impair judgement (that's why drunk driving is illegal). I don't know exactly how many drinks Edward had in addition to the ones Angela made sure he had on the way to the car, but add those to her making sure he was well-supplied with beer at the party, and I would say his judgement was impaired enough to render him legally incapable of giving consent, especially since Angela was sober and had planned this.
Lafemmevegeta chapter 67 . 2/11
Enjoyable story that really needed editing but had a really great plot. I truly hope there is a third part completed because this abrupt ending leaves much to be desired.
Thanks for this beautiful story.
JustARead chapter 56 . 2/6
Seth
JustARead chapter 42 . 2/4
Hmmm
JustARead chapter 40 . 2/2
Someone answer her damn phone
JustARead chapter 38 . 2/2