Reviews for Motherhood
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 6/10/2011
Very entertaining, and definitely the best one yet of the arc. In this story we have some history, some world-building on past and present, scenes of friendship with Alair and Laya, discussions of politics, and a rousing action finish. All the elements, even right down to an excellent concluding line.

Several intriguing points are raised here: Most dramatically, there's Laya's use of what appears to be Esper magic. I myself had always equated Layan powers with magic rather than PSII-style techniques (though I know from later stories you go a slightly different direction with this), and it's nice to see this call-back. It relates well to the fight against Dark Force that the powers of magic would be involves (plus, of course, it provides excellent background for how Laya attained her legendary status, and drama for the fight scene...and, I think, will nicely settle the question of the political opposition!).

Overall, Laya's motherly concern for her children was well-done, as was the discussion of the past with Alair. Unfortunately the scope of the short story did not allow it to go any deeper into some elements (the point about her name being the same as her sister's was less of an explanation and more of a tantalizing hint as to their being a deeper story behind it all), but most of all this story does a good job of fleshing out the background descriptions of the world in which they live, adding depth and color to it. Fine work!
BenoitRen chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
I appreciate that you took the effort to give good descriptions of the castle that the characters were walking around in. It helps form an image of what's happening.

I also liked how the story wove talking and action together near the end.
Vicious Pink chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Well, this episode was packed with all sorts of goodies! I have a very clear picture of your own PS3 universe now, and it's quite rich in detail and history. It is a shame that Nial and Laya are suffering through traitorous times, but it certainly makes for interesting writing, so I very much enjoy that part of your story.

You've really done a lot of service to Laya, who was never very compelling to me when I played the game. Despite her provenance, she came across as a lazy character design, too similar to her older sister and sort of an afterthought. However, you take all of that and spin it into this wonderful idea of it being an important part of her legacy, one that she both accepts and questions.

Also of note: I really, really like the idea of Laya and Alair being friends. They're really too similar with their heritage and history not to be close, so it makes perfect sense. Also, Lune admiring Orakio made me smile. There are so many creative ways you've fleshed out the history of the Alisa 3. It was a joy to read this. Keep the stories coming!