Reviews for A Better Man
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
And yet, Lily got over "Don't make me hex you, Evans".

And asking Snape to go to Lily's wedding, where he will be hexed to bits during the reception by her *real* friends was especially nasty. What did she think would happen if he did go? Probably dragged to Azkaban, if he survived what her real friends like to do to him.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
its wonderful
PoseidonsLittleGirl chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
I've never been a fan of Snape but I really enjoyed this. Great work. :)
jonski chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
Good thing Liuly did the right thing by being with James. Lily and Snivellus will never work out. Snape just cant deal with his teenage angst who never grow up. James might be immature be he actually became the better man at the end. He live his life to the fullest despite James and Lilys short life. While Snape continued to terrorize little children.
Very Small Prophet chapter 1 . 10/23/2011
When Lily insisted she would continue to love James more no matter how loud, impulsive, dangerous, temperamental, and idiotic he was –- Wait, was she talking about Severus? It sure sounded like James to me. Well, at that point Severus should have slit his own throat and bled to death all over her. Then she could go have a happy life with her wonderful bully-boy. And no one would have been there to save her ungrateful son, over and over.

Even if the junior DEs were bullies like the Marauders, I doubt they had the resources to pull off anything like Sirius Black’s attempted murder of Sev by werewolf. After Dumbledore’s response to that, Severus knows better than to go to the Headmaster for any help for himself. When he finally goes to Dumbledore, it’s when a Gryff is in danger; he knows Dumbles will help with that (though he ended up doing a lousy job). Dumbledore never helps Sev for his own sake; he even demands “What will you give in return?” for a task (protecting the Potters) that he would have done anyway.

Excellent depiction of heartless, unforgiving Lily and her stupid faith in a supposedly altruistic Dumbledore. You’ve captured the real Lils.
Lift up your voice chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
Excuse me while I curse ; HOLY SHIT that was awesome! An instant favorite, what a tea-jerker!
pistal chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
good
Naranne chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
This was beautiful, but heartbreaking. ... Beautifully heartbreaking. I swear it's only in fandom that you hear a phrase like that.

It's an emotional turmoil of a journey that you drag us through with this fic, and every moment is well executed. They're both wonderfully in character, and whilst reading it I swung from sympathising with Lily to wanting her to choose Severus. There is never really anything BUT angst with this pair, is there? 8D

Wonderful job.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
"You left me for your Death Eater friends, for the people who attacked me and my friends in the hallways, who degraded me publicly"

She was lucky that he wasn't willingly to reply thoroughly. Setting aside the fact that Lily in canon mentioned Mary as the victim of an attack, but didn't talk about anything happening to her personally (I doubt that Snape would have been willing to spend time around the Deatheaters otherwise, after all he was willing to risk death in order to protect her), I doubt that anything the deatheaters did (while still in school, mind you) might have equated what Severus had been put through by HER friends (in particular, to my knowledge there was only a werewolf at Hogwards at that point in time).

I would have not hesitated to bring that up when she suggested that he should go to Dumbledore for protection -I doubt that anything short of her life being in actual danger would have convinced him to put his life in the hands of a man who had dismissed his near death as a prank... it certainly wouldn't reassure me about the trustworthiness of his assessment of the risks of eventual future tasks he might be willing to assign-.

As for James not leaving her... well, what did he have to protect himself from? It's much easier to speak up against a corrupt regimen if you don't live in a place where you would be exposed to retaliation. Unfortunately, Snape lived in such a place, and considering the fact that among Lily's so called friends no one but her had been willing to stop the Marauders when they tried to do something to him (the people by the lake, including those who were with Lily before, seemed more than willing to stand around and laugh) I doubt that he would have felt inclined to stand up for her, only to have to watch his back from attacks even in his own dormitory, and not only in the halls and at home.

In the end, I cannot help but agree with his assessment, she is basically asking him to forgive and forget without offering him a bright prospect, or any prospect at all. Then again, it's much easier to accuse him of leaving her instead of admitting that they both had a part in their breakup (her almost smiling with the others at his torment, her insulting him back, leaving him in the Marauders' hands and then spurning his apology).
crisscross332 chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Excellent Story! Your dialogue was beautifully written and it really captured the strong turmoil between Lily and Severus. I also thought your pacing was good because you can feel the tension between the characters, not knowing which side Lily would pick until the very end. Great Job!
Blue-Eyed-Lily chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
-hysterical sobbing-

Whyyyyyyyyyy do you do this to us? GAH I WILL NEVER BE HAPPY AGAIN. Why is this story a freaking dementor?

...Oh. Loved it, by the way.