Reviews for Merces
Guest chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
One of the best things I've read by you. Well written and beautiful as usual. I like how you went from present to flashback to present quickly, instead of having big, long paragraphs of each.
So much emotion and depth and all in less than 1000 words! You are truly amazing!
Nightsmoke chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
I can't believe I faved this a while ago and forgot to review. Heart-wrenching and well-written. Love how you put the two scenes next to one another, and how well you contrasted both Kimblee and Roy's views. Great job!
Megami.Ze chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
Sorry I'm only reviewing today when I read it yesterday, but, you know, things got in the way.

Firstly, I absolutely love how you used Riza in this piece. I think that was fantastic. You painted her (and Roy) in such a way that it was really unsettling. To me it seemed that Riza was almost like a sacrifical lamb upon the alter - the way she was strung up by tha alter. It was almost as if she was an offering to pay for Roy's (and Riza's) sins that they had committed. I thought that mental image was absolutely superb.

Also, your take the on the burning of Riza's back: fantastic. It's quite horrifying how exposed she was to Roy, and also how calm and collected Roy is after he has burnt her. I really shows how Ishval has scarred him emotionally.

And lastly, your take on mercy. I thought that was really brilliant. Originally it was Kimblee's perception of mercy, and then by the end Roy had adopted that idea by using that logic on Riza. It really shows how horrific this 'mercy' is, or even questioning if there is mercy at all.

All in all, wonderful and compelling piece. You've done a superb job with this. You should be proud.

p.s. Was it wrong for me to have laughed at the 'Royai if you wince' in your summary?
Aurora-Borealis Coyote chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
This here. So much love for this.

"Think your method is 'nicer'?" That's very true- the moral divide between Kimblee and Roy is how they feel about what they do, not what they do, and you portray that very well. Kimblee seeing what he does as not bad but just a part of living his life, while Roy seeing himself as bad but still not knowing what else to do and growing distant from everything except his horror...really makes you wonder what exactly mercy is, when it comes to lose-lose situations such as these (the Ishvalan guy dies one way or the other, Riza can choose between living with the secret or burning her back...).

I like the Shakespeare quote inclusion. Very much.
mebh chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Absolutely astonishingly good.

A very tightly wound, impactful piece. Loved the structure and the cool, sparse dialogue. I also enjoyed how distant we were from Roy, despite it being his POV - it really added to that psychology of detachment.

I am quaking in my 'totally slacked and has yet to deliver' boots!

Damn you...