Reviews for For Laughs
majorshane chapter 16 . 7/30
The entire confrontation between Spencer and the Joker was absolutely brilliant! Bravo!

I don't really get how Batman somehow ended up trapped under the cauldron, but that's ok it's not a plot breaker.

Why did Batman yell at Spencer to not kill the Joker? Why is he telling Spencer in the hospital room that he did the right thing by sparing him?

The whole not killing rules a major part of Batmans character for two reasons. 1. Batman recognizes that he is operating outside of the law and doesn't have the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner. Cops are issued badges, these are symbols of authority given to them by elected officials who get their authority from democratic elections. Cops have the right to use lethal force (in certain circumstances), and that right is given to them by the people. Batman does not have that right. He already breaks the law when he goes out crime fighting, but he doesn't kill. 2. Batman knows that if he ever did kill, because he doesn't have a system of checks and balances (like police do) he could be unable to stop himself from doing it again and again.

Spencer is a federal agent, so he has both the right and the responsibility to use lethal force when the occasion calls for it. Watching a known criminal about to attack a pinned victim is a circumstance that warrants the use of deadly force. When a cop kills a known criminal to save a civilian (even a civilian who is also a criminal) that cop is doing the right thing.

So Batman is just plain wrong when he cries to Spencer not to take the killing shot and he's also wrong when he tells Spencer he did the right thing. The reason Batman doesn't kill is NOT because 'it is wrong to kill' but because 'it is wrong for an unsanctioned vigilante (like Batman) to kill'.

If Batman kills a criminal it is wrong because he's a vigilante. If a cop kills a criminal its ok because he's a cop.

Now if the Joker had a heart monitor that was programmed to trigger a bomb if his heart stopped beating and the agents didn't know about it, THEN Batman would be right to shout at the agents to not fire.

Awesome story, just one other small detail that kept it from being perfect IMHO.
majorshane chapter 10 . 7/30
The part of Batmans profile that says Batman is hiding his face and discussing his voice because otherwise he would be 'recognized' by Gotham is, I believe, unrealistic. I love your story so far but this one point is really bugging me. It's actually taking me out of the story every time it comes up. Wearing a mask and disguising your voice hides your identity, it doesn't matter if your identity is well known or not. Assuming that the person behind the mask is well known is flawed logic. It's over reaching and making bad assumptions and it's completely out of character for the BAU. Consider if the team were profiling another super hero/vigilante like: Spiderman, Flash, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Antman, Or Huntress. There's 6 heroes that all wear masks that the BAU would declare is hiding a face that would immediately be recognized by the public. In fact, they would be wrong 5/6 times (with the examples I gave). Now if you include villains that wear masks, pretty much none of them are well known and your theory would be out the window. Wearing a mask does NOT mean that you are hiding a famous or well known face, it JUST means you are hiding your identity!

You could still have Reid make the video connection and solve the mystery, but the whole 'Batman is hiding a famous face' thing is completely unjustified. It not only makes no sense that the BAU came to that conclusion, but if you grant them that the theory is somehow sound then it becomes painfully obvious who Batman is. Suddenly instead of Reid being a genius to make the connection, he's just normal and everyone else is stupid. In an earlier chapter you had Gideon say: "Gotham knows this man. Its citizens would recognize him in an instance if he were to go out without a mask. I can guarantee you that, if we haven't encountered this man already, we will soon enough. He is a fixture of Gotham City with or without his costume." WHAT?! Where did that come from? How did you come up with that? Their whole profile on Batman is completely unrealistic because it's too close to the truth and their are no errors at all. The BAU doesn't get every detail right especially when they are just begining an investigation. Additionally, if somehow they were able to come up with such a detailed and accurate profile on the batman then why didn't the whole team pounce on Bruce when he conveniently ran into them at the hotel? This theory hurts your story because it's completely baseless that they could come up with it and it makes solving the mystery of who is the Batman too easy!

I am really enjoying this story. Your portrayal of Batman, Joker, Zaz, and the BAU is super realistic. You just need to be more subtle with the profile psychology.
Thanks and again great job so far!
Amazing fic. The focus on Reid is wonderful (because honestly, he can do so much), and the Joker characterization is perfectly chilling.
Houndini chapter 2 . 9/12/2015
Ooh, will the other costumed villans be in Arkham? Because it would be very interesting to see them react to White or Green Ivy! Or Catwoman or Robin!
Village-Mystic chapter 16 . 7/15/2015
Village-Mystic chapter 15 . 7/15/2015
This is plausible and well written, but very rough on Reid.
Village-Mystic chapter 12 . 7/15/2015
Even though JJ is a support character, she's a fairly strong one; and I hope she doesn't die.
Village-Mystic chapter 10 . 7/15/2015
Honestly, I expected Reid to fall asleep in Wayne's study after not having slept for so long instead of doing water trivia with Alfred. That would have delayed the timeline.
Village-Mystic chapter 9 . 7/15/2015
Oh, Reid with the dark circles around his eyes. Well earned here.
Village-Mystic chapter 5 . 7/15/2015
Actually, Bruce injecting himself into the case so quickly does bring him to the top of the list for potential Batman's for veterans like Gideon and Hotchner. So that was a bad move. Hopefully, Reid will get out of his cliffhanger situation and not continue to examine the room.
Village-Mystic chapter 4 . 7/15/2015
Okay. Pretty obvious (and they will probably figure this out by the next morning) that the Joker wants the FBI to professionally profile the Batman and then get access to their profile.
Guest chapter 17 . 11/25/2014
Love love loved this story!
Guest chapter 12 . 11/24/2014
A perfect example why I can never be a good writer. I like my characters too much. Its like I'm a afraid to hurt them. But without cruelty, there is no obstacle. Nothing to challenge the main characters. No conflict. No purpose for the story.
As I've been told I'm too nice. So nothing ever happens in my stories (the ones in my head).
The disturbing thing is that I was smiling at the image of Joker shaking his head looking like a disappointed father. Maybe I'm messed up. If it weren't for the violence and tendency to kill people, I would've laughed at Joker's dialogues. His attempts at humor sounds so scary (even if there's no audio to this). Joker somehow transcends the written format. I can actually hear his voice whilst reading this.
(or maybe that's just me needing therapy)
KodiakWolfe13 chapter 15 . 8/5/2014
For whatever reason, I love it when the Joker goes "And can you believe that was completely unintentional?' when speaking about Harvey Dent! You can tell how pleased he is! It's like a kid in the middle of class screaming at the top of his lungs 'OH MY GOSH! I JUST FLIPPED TO THAT EXACT PAGE IN ONE FLIP!' It's hilarious, actually. XD

KodiakWolfe13 chapter 6 . 8/5/2014
Ok, I was planning on reviewing when I finished the story, but WHY does Joker always insist on dressing up as girls? First a nurse, and now a maid. SERIOUSLY?! It always makes me have a flashback to some hilarious movie I can't remember the name of where one of the bad guys shouts 'CROSS-DRESSER!' and then promptly starts shooting... It was great!