Reviews for The Ember Island Portraits
The Amazing Mumbo chapter 1 . 3/16
Man, Katara doesn't know when to stop does she?
blinkenlights n spitzensparks chapter 1 . 12/2/2013
Although I completely adore Zutara, I totally agree that they have great chemistry even just as completely platonic friends in the show, and that annoyed!Zuko is one of the best and funnest things ever ;)

I loved all of Zuko's hilarious reactions throughout this, but I felt like I had to comment on one moment in particular because I have too many thoughts asdfhakhsdf - the story behind his scar. I just felt his overall attitude about revealing the story was too ...casual and cavalier aren't really the right words, but I can't think of anything better at the moment. My personal headcanon is that he would be extremely reluctant to ever willingly part with that story (far more reluctant than he is here), especially with this group that he's been friends with for only a short while. In addition, I think part of his reluctance would stem from wanting to completely avoid the possibility of inviting any pity (especially re: his scar, I feel like Zuko would interpret genuine compassion and sympathy from the others, as pity). And I think it would be years of growing up and maturing and learning to control his emotions before he could talk about his father burning him, in such an emotionless manner, you know? Well, that's my own interpretation of his character, anyways.

And finally, I especially loved the ending - that's a hilarious mental image that will stay with me for a while XD Good job, and thanks for the enjoyable read!
Please Excuse This Fangirl chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
Their friendship is just so adorable. And dat ending :)
Angst Splatter chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
I really checked this out of pure curiosity from the summary. From the first few sentences I didn't really expect to be as drawn in as I was, but I kept reading to see what other little pictures of Zuko's past Katara could find and ended up completely suckered into the story.

It was sweet in a kind of odd way and just how I like my end-of-the-series Katara and Zuko interactions - *friend*ship.

Well done. It was a very creative way to explore their friendship, and I enjoyed the little looks into Zuko's past like this. And although it may be the one part that's a little less in character, I liked Zuko's quick and surprising tale of how he earned his scar. (I loathe the laziness most authors seem to take in literally just re-typing out the exact story we're given in The Storm from Iroh, as if that is actually how Zuko would tell the tale.)

Good writing! And loved the ending, lol.
Jade Eclipse chapter 1 . 9/7/2013
I adore this story.

I agree completely with your view of the friendship between Zuko and Katara, and it makes me sad that I can't find many stories about their dynamic without running into the big spiky wall that is Shipping Wars in this community. I love their interactions, and I'm always sorry it isn't explored more fully, so thank you for this.

Furthermore, you keep them so well in character. Katara is trying to move past their rough start in a way that feels very true to her. She doesn't seem good at outright apologizing (see her skirmishes with Toph while they were getting used to each other), so this feels like something she would do: trying to make up for it but not saying anything until pressed.

And I like how you keep Zuko true to the show, too. The casual way he reveals the story of the scar is a nice contrast to other stories. Most of the show, he seems to be entirely in denial about it, and the fact that he never tells anyone in canon makes me think he'd want to downplay it as much as possible if they ever did ask. I actually think it sounds even more horrifying when he's treating it like no big deal. And he gets frustrated, of course, with Katara dragging up all of these reminders from his past. His awkwardness around people really comes out here (especially the line about Mai.) This is how I see his friendship with Katara progressing: a lot of annoyance and teasing, but fundamentally solid.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I love the boys' communal shaving party.

In summary, this is a great story. Short and sweet and one of my favorite representations of the characters I have read. This is one I always return to whenever I get a craving for something Avatar.
Avatar4ever chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
Lol much
Ileah chapter 1 . 8/1/2013
Tee hee, bonding. That's so cute.
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
I'm not a Zutara fan either. If you listen to the commentaries that writers seemed like even though they weren't promoting a romance between the two they wanted to show how the two still affected and eventually supported each other because in real life people influence one another.

The picture finding theme ties in nicely with how Katara brings out that one portrait of Ozai that she thinks is Zuko at the beginning of the finale, good job making that story element flow. Great job with all the characters, even if they only have a few lines. Zuko's sometimes blunt awkwardness and honesty was great and I felt you handled Katara's approach toward him and the ways they interacted very believably for their characters. Katara wanting to get to know him and about his family really fits in with the whole Water Tribe approach to community and clashes nicely with how there are a lot of things Zuko is trying to leave behind him. I like the betrothal aspect between Mai and Zuko, it's never explicitly stated that they're intended for one another, but it's a believable scenario. Good job having varying comedic, emotional, and dramatic reactions to all the pictures Katara digs up. I really liked how all the guys get together to shave, it's one of those little things that adds realism to the situation. Great character portrayals, I truly enjoyed reading this.
Katara-Hatake chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
Aww. Extend it! X) I wanna read more.

The-one-who-is-plotting

K-H
scorchedtrees chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
I loved this! A perfect look into the Gaang's lives and their friendship, especially Zuko and Katara's.
Obsessive Consumptive Reader chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That ending!
PainAndRegrets chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Could it be? A friendship fic with zuko and katara in it? And zero romance? These fics are rare as diamonds. Love love love this story because its been a headcanon of mine ever since katara showed the gaang a pic of tiny ozai. Well written and hilarious.
Spannerspoon chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Hehe, this is only made better y the fact Zuko throws it off the cliff!

Loved it! Faved
Jadely chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
Heh heh heh... "And I like to burn things."

Apparantly throwing things off cliffs comes in a close second.

Well done :)
artephile chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
I'm the same way as you - I really don't like Zutara but I think Zuko would be BFFs with the Water Tribe siblings. Makes me sad that Zuko destroyed all those pictures, but here's to hoping he secretly sleeps with the little!Maiko under his pillow.
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »