Reviews for Are Monsters Real?
CornishGirl chapter 1 . 7/22
Very well done! Clean and straightforward with some stand-out lines that made me laugh. I've seen this theme in several stories, and I think it's very fair to say that yes, a young Dean would most definitely incite interest among sexual predators. What's nice here is that it was handled without gratuitous descriptions. With very little said you summon the scary ick factor as well as fear for Dean's safety.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
love it
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Aww, this was so painful. Poor Dean, and how must it must have HURT to see later that even though he killed a shtriga, it wasn't the right one?

Or maybe it wasn't even a shtriga?

Oh Dean :-( And I love the way you began this, with Sam slowly realizing that the world is not as nice and simple, and that his dad isn't as nice and dad-like. Though I'm a Dean-person through and through, I always loved about Sam that he never hesitated to speak his mind, never backed down when it came to facing John Winchester. That's why I was torn, initially, between Sam and Dean. I don't really like suck-ups to authority-figures. GOod thing Dean's character is written in so many layers
xcloudx chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
Go Sammeh! This was great, god my heart burns for children who have to suffer like that. Glad you ganked the thing :D Poor Dean.
Death-Muncher chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
I absolutely loved this story. It was very well written. :D
Heartless BytchhakaHelenBach1 chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
I love you and I love this story!

I wanted to gank that perv!freak!monster!Avery myself. Loved how Dean was able to put it all together from what he heard the other kids talking about. Loved how Sammy was looking out for his Big Brudda even at such a young age. This is what Family is all about and you captured it so well and made it look so easy.

And I've always wished that Show would've shown us the back story on where Dean and Sam got their "pimp" guns. That would make a really cool epi and I feel a bunneh nibbling on meh brain about that thought.

Thank you for sharing this with us and making my day.

bjxmas chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
This was unexpected. You really ripped all the emotions out of me reading this, it started out so dark and utterly sad, not your usual style. It had me thinking about my Evil story and how I just can't bring myself to go back to it, too dark and disturbing to think of Dean in that light, but here you put me right back in that place. So excellent job with this new style, dark and scary and just devastatingly tragic.

I loved Sam's awareness and concern, all the little things he notices about Dean that others don't. I love to think he was there for Dean, supporting him and protecting him. I really liked this Sammy, not that I don't like oblivious Sam too, but it was super nice to have him so in tune with who Dean was and how he reacts to things. It was a nice change from what we normally think of Sam.

I was so relieved Dean figured out the real monster here and took care of it. I always believe in Dean, but he was only 13 and you so expertly revealed all the ways he was young and inexperieced, how far he would go to protect his family and especially how he was always able to rationalize how John left them alone. You allowed us to see all the strengths and frailites of a child trying so hard to be a man. Dean is admirable even as a teen, strong and resolute, cocky and bold in the face of danger.

I got a kick out of Sam and the window, that had me reminescing about the outtakes where Jared couldn't get the window open. So many insightful lines and revelations.

So, excellent job taking me on a very scary journey, the real danger and the imagined horrors that Sam worried about. It is always good to get inside their heads and see the world thru young Winchester eyes. You gave us a glimpse into both Dean and Sam's perspectives and while John came off harsh in the beginning, you redeemed him in the end, even to Sammy's satisfaction.

I loved that this is how Dean came to own his Colt 1911. You kind of shifted the story a little at the end and brought it back to family. You always do a great job with that, offering us a scary hunt but grounding it in their lives and the milestones the hunts commemorate.

I feel like I've read several stories here, this was such a complete journey. I'm just glad the boys were together in this and persevered. I guess I am getting worn down by all the tragedies in their lives and it is good to have that happy ending for once. Thanks for a mesmerizing read. Later, B.J.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
I really loved this. The suspense was wonderful! So Mr. Avery sucked the life out of the kids and they vanished. *shudder* I thought he was just a run of the mill perv. Of course that wouldn't happen much in the Winchester world.

Love also that John didn't forget Dean's birthday and that the Colt was a gift from him. That's a great idea.

Nicely done. :)
Medusa -the writer chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
Wow! That was brilliant. You have captured the young Winchester brothers EXACTLY how they should be! Great plot, great writing. You had me on the edge of my seat all the way through. What a creepy monster. So well done.

ValykirieRevolution chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
Wow, this really hilighted the way they were raised in a way the series never was in character and it felt very real. Excellent work.
wolfgurlwriter1725 chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
Your a really good writer. I couldn't stop reading because I had to know what would happen. Awesome job.
kelhome chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Nicely done. Lots of tension and brother moments, Dean showing hints of the badass he would become, but, still a kid. And, Sam realizing he had to help. Just, very enjoyable story.

pandora jazz chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
What a nice surprise.

I enjoy reading your stories, but I'm sorry, I don't follow the Virtual Season stories.

You did a wonderful job with this story. It was definitely creepy, suspenseful, had a nice brother moment and was also sad.

Dean trying so hard to take care of Sam while John is away. It is really sad to think of the brothers growing up this way.

I love that Dean figured out Mr. Avery was a monster in more ways than one.

One of my favorite lines - "Hey, this could be a thing," Dean observed. "You n' me. Getting each other's back. Y'know, hunting together. Saving people. When you're old enough. And, y'know, bigger than a Smurf." Wonderful!

I had to smile when Sam gave Dean pie for his birthday. I'm glad that John at least apologized for being late and I noticed Dean got his gun from John for his birthday.

Wondeful job with your story.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Until next time, take care.
pickamix chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
That was awesome! I was on the edge of my seat the entire story... I was hanging on every word... That was some fantastic writing. And even in all that drama there was humor... I love that... Pixie Dust... Smurfs... HA!

I love seeing fics from you... you never disappoint!

(No there is nothing wrong with my keyboard... I just feel like exclamation points right now.)

Emmalee3400 chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Omg you have no idea how badly I wanted Sam to yell at their dad! But anyways now that thats off my chest, i can say i rally enjoyed this, Sam coming to the rescue, wanting his dad to remember Deans birthday, it all felt like something that could have actual happened.