Reviews for The Whittler
TereseLucy384 chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
hahaha too cute. Poor Dusty. Although I love all his little expressions.

I remember when I was a kid I tried to whittle. I think Dusty was more successful.

It's sweet that he was making something for Betsy, and it turned out to be a heart. awwwwww (I think she should have gone for it and brushed his bangs back. Goodness knows, I would have ;)
chill13 chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
Awwwww! I loved it! I tried whittling a couple times and your descriptions of Dusty's attempts are so spot on it's hilarious. Dusty's such a thoughtful little guy. Each thing he planned to make for his friends was so considerate of them. He wasn't trying to be annoying, poor fella. Glad Betsy was there to help him when he was getting discouraged. So cute. I like this show a lot and it's good to see some fanfiction for it!
Louise Hargadon chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
*sniff*

He. Whittled. Her. A. HEART!

*bawls with happiness*

I love the way he put so much thought into what he was going to whittle for everyone - just speaks volumes about what a lovely, generous, large-hearted loveable little imp he is! *hugs screen* How on earth could Betsy possibly resist him? What girl in her right mind could resist him? I'm sure Lulu just has terrible people skills. No wonder she's not a showgirl anymore...!

I am literally, absolutely and completely in love with your writing. It distresses me that I can't write that well, yet it makes me unendingly happy that a lovely pal of mine CAN write so well all at the same time, and that I get to read her brilliant work. Honestly, there were actual tears at the end. Real ones. Of happiness.

Oh, and you're welcome to use the phrase High Dudgeon as much as you like with my blessing!xx
callensensei chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
Squee! Lovely! What a lovely little character study of both Betsy and Dusty, showing all the things about him that fascinate her. Despite his gentleness, Dusty still has a sense of pride and an unwillingness to be manipulated. And Betsy, for all her obvious fondness for Dusty, refuses to put her friend Lulu down in a catty way just to impress him. The idea of Dusty's whittling unconsciously is a very clever way of getting across his true feelings here.

This story is sweet but never cloying. Your ear for dialogue makes sure of that! The colourful western/country idioms ring as true as did the Skipper's navy talk. Lulu's wisecracks especially, and the fact that she seems to be part of a triangle, add a measure of spice to things.

Keep 'em coming! I do hope more of our friends at the GI board are discovering these great stories!
JWood201 chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Awww! Ok, my next request is a cute Dusty/Betsy fic where they don't have to talk about Lulu, haha. I love me some Lulu, but not when she gets in the way like that.

You're quite prolific, friend, and I love it b/c I don't have time to be prolific myself right now. You really got these characters down. I love how he was trying to make her something and unintentionally (subconsciously?) ended up with a lopsided goofy heart. Perfect.