Reviews for Cameron's Home Life
luke mckenzie chapter 1 . 5/28/2013
Make an alternate endeing where what if they ferrus and slone left completely before camrons dad came home...just a thought. Please use it in any way yould like
DocV chapter 1 . 3/21/2013
Had a similar idea and hope you don't mind if I take a stab at it.

***With Sloan and Ferris now gone, Cameron turned and walked calmly back to the house. With deliberate intent, went directly to a glass walled room at the back of the house.

Cameron paused for a moment just outside the doorway too the room, then collected himself, squared his shoulders and cross the threshold.

This was clearly a man's room. Sparsely filled with various masculine and *expensive* looking items, displayed prominently. Ferris was right, it did resemble a museum.

Cameron walked to the center of the room, and slowly sank deep down into a large, black, cube shaped, chrome and leather chair; his arms draped over it's tall sides.

With little effort, he reached to his left for a crystal decanter, filled with deep amber liquid, and proceeded to pour himself a glass. To his right, a multi-buttoned, stainless steel and glass remote control, looking much like a work of art itself, sat atop a chrome and glass table. Cameron picked it up, pressed the top button, and watched as the doors of a cabinet, directly across the room from him, parted to reveal a very expensive Bang and Olufsen sound system that more resembled a piece of sculpture than a stereo.

With the press of another button, the horizontally hung disk, spun to life, as the perfectly placed speakers, at each corner of the room, began filling the air with a stringed symphony. Cameron sat patiently, slowly sipping his drink, soaking it all in. He waited with an utter look of contentment on his face. I doubt Cameron had ever felt this much at peace in his entire life.

A while had passed, the decanter, now nearly empty, as Cameron, with this eyes closed, rested his head on the back of the chair while holding a rather expensive cigar. Instinctively, he lifted his head for a moment, then glanced up at the clock on the wall, which read 6:25 PM. He calmly reached over for the remote, and turned the music off. He then sat quietly with his cigar; the ashes glowing orange as he took a long hard draw.

A moment later, outside the window over Cameron's shoulder, a car could be seen turning down the long, wooded driveway. The sound of the gravel crushing beneath tires could be heard as it drew closer; until it stopped just in front of the glass cube which, until only hours before, displayed the prized, rare Ferrari.

Cameron could hear the engine stop and a brief moment of silence, which felt much longer than it really was. The silence was broken by the sound of a car door *slowly* opening, followed by footsteps on the gravel driveway. The footsteps paused for a moment at the entrance of the garage. Then Cameron heard the sound of hard Italian leather clicking on the steel floor, until they stopped again; followed by another seemingly long pause…

"CAMERON!" Came a roar.

"CAMERON… GET THE HELL OUT HERE!"

Cam sat undisturbed in his leather chair, taking another long draw from his cigar.

"CAMERON JAMES FRYE YOU GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE *NOW*!"

Cameron took a sip of his drink, then causally puffed smoke rings in the air.

The sound of deliberate and heavy footsteps on hardwood floors could be heard, as they drew louder and closer. ..."CAMERON, GODDAMMIT! …WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!"

Cameron sat quietly, sipping and blowing rings. He listened as his father frantically search throughout the house, only to be stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of his son; sitting in *his* leather chair, in *his* den!

"What the HELL is wrong with you?!" "Boy!… Get the *hell* out of my chair now! …And you answer me when I call you!"

With his back to his father, cigar and drink still in hand, Cameron calmly asked, "Are you done shouting?"

"WHAT?!" his father barked wildly.

"I guess not… Go ahead and get it off your chest dad. Say what ever it is you have to say and get it over with, it won't change anything".

Stunned by the sheer defiance and utter candor of his son, Cameron's father stood silent for a moment; his mouth agape while he tried to process everything that was going on.

But before his father could collect himself, Cameron calmly set down his drink, then carefully placed the cigar in the ashtray, stood and turned to face his father. Cameron looked him dead in the eyes and, in a very matter of fact tone, he continued.

"I'm sorry dad... I really am. I know how much that car meant to you; but the truth is, I've done you a favor. You've had an unhealthy obsession with it ever since you bought it. You love that car more than your family; and that's just not right."

"Besides, that car has been an source of neurosis for you. The license plate even said so. You've been waiting for something horrible to happen. Well… guess what? The *worst* has finally happened to it. And you know what, you're still alive. The world didn't end. But do you want to know what the best part is? Now you don't have to worry about it any more, because it's already happened. You're free dad! Free to focus on the things in lave that really matter. Besides, If I know you, you probably had it insured for more than it was worth. So now you're ahead on several levels."

Cameron could see the surprise in his fathers face turning to dejection as the words somehow manage to reach a place inside him. Feeling more self-assured, Cameron went on.

"I've given you an opportunity dad. The opportunity to take a *long hard look* at your life. The sad truth is, you're a sad man dad. You're a sad man who thinks he hates his family, but you know what, it's not us you hate, *it's you!* …The truth is, you hate yourself dad. You hate yourself for the choices you've made. You hate yourself for being a failure as a husband and a father. And you hate yourself for being too afraid to divorce mom, because you'd rather be miserable and make the rest of us miserable, than be alone. Face it dad, you need us more than we need you!"

Just then, the bewilderment in his father's eyes turned to rage. Cameron's father raised his clenched fist over his head. Still, Cameron continued without skipping a beat, and standing taller now he exclaimed;

"Sure dad, you can get angry. You can yell and scream, you can even beat me if you want; but that won't change anything. Because I don't care any more. I'm not afraid of you anymore… Because the truth is, you're pathetic! …It's you dad…. It's always been you. Go ahead and beat me if it will make you feel better! But you know what? *My* wounds will heal; but you'll have to live with your failures for the rest of your life!"

Cameron's father stood frozen with his fist in the air as the anger and redness drained our of his face. Slowly, his arm fell limp to his side and he just stared at his son.

Cameron walked past his father, patting him on the shoulder as he went by. He spoke up one last time and said, "I'm going for a drive dad, I'll be back later."
civilwarrose chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
This is really well written, and I have always wondered how the scene would play out between Cameron and his father. Poor guy, his dad was really a jerk. If Ferris had stayed around, it may have affected his getting home to bed on time as well. Good scene.
sashaonthemoon chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
wow...that was a pretty dark take on it

GREAT JOB!

I always though it was more of an ignoring thing, but the abuse could make sense to.

good story!