Reviews for If I Fall
The Forbidden Secrets chapter 1 . 8/29/2011
Thank you for another wonderful story :D
heartsvilleMonarch chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
I really enjoyed reading this, definite fave! I thought Raoul was written perfectly in character.
Haru Kinome chapter 1 . 12/13/2010
(Gomen nasai; I'm so sorry this is so late D: But this week was really blah, and I didn't wanna write a worse-than-usual review just because I'm going out of my sanity.)

Ah, hell. This fic is sad :( It's tragic and mutedly dramatic, saturated in bleak, monochrome hopelessness and surrounded by dead end walls and stripped of any and all optimistic pretenses. It evokes the kind of dull, bone-deep ache that suffocates and drowns when on the verge of something terrible, but at the very last moment Erik and Raoul got pushed backwards into their semi-happy ending, for which I'm grateful. This story was a little painful to read because it made me so depressed, but it's written so ingeniously that I'm also glad I had the chance to read it at all _

I wouldn't have ever expected this scenario to be written from Erik's pov, but you did such an amazing job at it that it's actually sadder this way than it would've been if it had been written from Raoul's. Erik's cynicism and absolute refusal to believe that he and Raoul can have a happy ending colors the entire story in desolate shades of dark gray. It kinda felt like he was trapped in a circle of indecisiveness, and no matter which way he turned he always hit a wall, particularly since the only other direction he thought to look in was that of kidnapping, which is a definite no (btw, I love how you described the consequences as something that would be infinitely worse than separation, thus eliminating it as a feasible option). When I was reading this I kinda got the feeling that he'd inadvertently fallen into reluctantly accepting that he and Raoul couldn't be together, that he'd been forced into giving up simply because he didn't have any alternative plans. That attitude is quite infectious; for a little while, I really thought that he and Raoul were gonna be permanently separated. But even when Erik and Raoul were standing face to face, this fic /still/ isn't happy. Erik seems to be freaking out more than Raoul-kun (although that might only be because the story is in his pov), and his anxiety drains any excitement or joy at Raoul's appearance and the implications behind his subsequent announcement of disownment. Actually, their happy ending really isn't all that happy; it's more of a relief that sparks the tiniest bit of hope instead of guaranteeing that everything will magically be okay. There are no fireworks, no declarations of undying love, no sudden explosions of bliss; and I really /like/ the ending like that, too, because anything louder, sappier, or more dramatic would've boorishly ruined this story. It fits perfectly with the rest of the fic and manages to preserve the pessimism while still saving the entire story from sinking into its own despair.

Random, but I like how both Erik and Raoul thought that the other would be unwilling to give up their lifestyles just for the sake of staying together. I also loved the line "A home would become a cage that shrunk with each interaction..."; the parallel structure reminds me of someone pacing back and forth in the space of confinement.

Thank you very much for all of the amazing things in this fic. It was wonderfully well-written and quite a heartrending, yet enthralling, read _
EnderGrievesForMe14 chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
Amazing, of course. Though I've never expected less. :D It actually started out really depressing, though by the end I was grinning like a fool. You have too much talent with this couple. ;) As usual, your grammar and such are almost flawless, though I must admit I was too drawn in to the story to actually pay much attention. I would hope, however, that something like that would catch my attention after all this time. It usually does. Anyways, nice idea! I've never actually considered the reaction to their relationship, aside from the usual. You drew that out quite well, if I may say so.
xdark.flowerx chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
It was cute

Though I'd like to think Raoul's family would stand behind him for some reason

-shrugs-

I mean it might be even be somewhat funny

Raoul: I'm gay

Family: You mean you didn't know? oO awkward!

Family: Oh honey, I know

Family: I know

or

Family: We still love you dearest!
Mallie chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
YAY! Another new story! I'll admit when I first saw Angst as one of the catgories I was a bit leery, but the ending was actually rather happy since they stayed together.

I understand why you're not to happy about the new plot-bunnt, but personally I'm happy to hear about it. I'd love to see how they got to this point. Of course I'd like to see what happens *after* this point as well.
Kittendragon chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
Erik terrorizing U.S. Oh, dear. What /will/ he make of musical theatre? lol I know the timing's a bit off, but I just had an image of Raoul chasing Erik up and down Broadway trying to keep him from destroying this new genre of of Broadway...Music of the Night, it ain't. ;)

I'm glad they chose each other.
re-harakhti chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
Oh.

This was so sweet, with both men willing to give up their lifestyles and all they had knwon for the other, while still clinging onto that slight bit of doubt in the other one becuase of their lack of faith in human nature (I suppose due to society's mistreatment of Erik and Raoul's knowledge that his family would never accept him).

I think it says a lot about how much Erik loves Raoul that he is willing to leave the opera house with little more than a thought, would Christine leave the musical world entirely for either of them? Maybe, maybe not. But it is certain that Erik won't be able to find any more really old buildings with secret passageways just sitting around in America.

Althoug this sits perfectly well without a sequel, I do wonder how they would explain Erik's deformity and settle in without any money; for example do either of them speak English? (Raoul perhaps but this is something I don't see Erik being able to do)
whatevergirl chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
Aww, poor Raoul didn't realise that if he could give everything up for Erik, it could work the other way too! :)
The Crazed Artist chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
Wow.

I had to take a moment to get over the fuzzy feelings that swelled up inside me as I read this.

I really loved how you wrote both Erik and Raoul in this one. They both seemed...shall we say "stronger" in this story then most others I have read.

Erik still had that possessive, pessimistic tone, but he also had rationality and hesitancy which made him more human and fleshed him out more.

Raoul had the martyr and "kicked-puppy" syndrome going on, but it was toned down by the bravery he showed (by confronting his family /and/ asking Erik to join him), his "realism" when discussing his situation and his show of pride. ("I know, to have fallen… but I will not beg." I believe, is now my favorite line of Raoul's :) )

Overall it is an /excellent/ ficlet, though I am now curious about the back story. It would be interesting to see what interactions these two would had gone through to have cause such lovely changes into stronger individuals.

I am glad you let this plot bunny live!

-The Crazed Artist