Reviews for And All the King's Men
ian.yatalese chapter 7 . 4/15
I know I'm very late on all of these ST fics, as I was stuck in one fandom for years, basically.

Anyway, this fic was lovely. Perfect illustration of the behind-the-scenes brotherhood of Kirk and McCoy.
I just at any opportunity to read a friendship story with no slash. Thank you.
Grgoyldef2 chapter 7 . 3/15
Awesome story...spent my whole day off reading it and decided that it was well worth it. While I've been a huge Star Trek TOS fan my entire life and always loved the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, I have to admit I really love the relationship that has developed in the AU with Kirk and McCoy. I think your story has really added another layer to that relationship. Thanks for the story.
Maddie chapter 7 . 1/23
I loved this story! I don't ship McKirk do i liked the minimal romance thrown it. I actually ended up rooting for the relationship! I really enjoyed kirk ended up fixing his own problems and not have someone help him. I find that bit of characterization really was true to the canon of Star Trek. Great work!
Iniga chapter 7 . 12/27/2014
Could not stop reading. Perfect.
MuggleCreator chapter 7 . 9/16/2014
Great stuff. The way you've built the characters... :)
DrMcCoyfan chapter 7 . 9/13/2014
Fantastic story!

Thanks so much!

Louise xx
Never-ending Magic chapter 7 . 8/20/2014
This fic was amazing, it had me in tears more than once. Your characterization was extremely accurate, and everything else from your writing style to the plot (okay especially the plot, really really good plot) was absolutely incredible. This is possibly the only fic I've read based almost solely on Kirk and Bones' friendship, and it has set the bar exceedingly high for any I read in its wake. (Also, because I need to get this out somewhere now and your fic is responsible for it I am now totally freaking out because if I ever somehow was in a similar situation with my best friend I would never be able to do what Kirk did, and then she'd be -nope, nevermind, not thinking about it. Nope. It's 2am. I need to sleep and stop thinking about this. Gah.) Sorry about that.
Anyways, this was seriously one of the best fics I've ever read, in any fandom, and I will almost certainly go look at the rest of your work as soon as I get some sleep.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 7 . 8/10/2014
nice
Guest chapter 7 . 7/31/2014
What a jewel of a story! Absolutely perfect! Wonderderful plot, awesome writing! Nothing better!
Warrior717 chapter 7 . 6/20/2014
What a very satisfying conclusion to an amazing story! It’s most likely one of the best I've ever read on this site.

I will always have a soft spot for Pike, and the depth you have given his character in this story just made me appreciate him even more. He's not just the brilliant Starfleet captain, but he's that surrogate father for Jim and even a significant influence to McCoy as well (according to how you portrayed him). To me, his life's achievements are more than just a "footnote" when you consider how much he influenced Jim to be the man that he is today, and I hate to think about what Jim's life would have been like today if Pike hadn't found him in that bar, and dared him to do better.

Once again I am incredibly touched by the love and utter devotion McCoy and Jim have for each other. McCoy helping Jim to believe in himself again (not giving up on him), and Jim wanting to make sure McCoy remembered the “Love you too”, because Jim doesn’t just say that to anyone.

You wrapped up all of your loose ends very nicely as well, even the smaller details; like Pike giving McCoy a much-needed coffee maker to support his coffee addiction, lol! (That was a very nice touch by the way. :)), and the creative way you gave the scene at the end of the movie, where Jim is given the medal, even more meaning.

I commend you for all the time, thought and effort you put into this story. I don't think everyone realizes just how much work goes into project like this. As I said before, the quality of your work is remarkable, and I only hope that you continue to touch people with your gift.
Warrior717 chapter 6 . 6/19/2014
Okay...THIS is the reason why I can spend hours and hours reading (neglecting the sleep my body requires, mind you) and it's all your fault. You just *had* to go and write this amazing story.

This chapter was absolutely mind-blowing from start to finish, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. The plot is so intricate, the bits of humor felt so natural. Some of the best lines in your story were in this chapter.

I also think that Jim really shined through here as did McCoy, and I love the depth and care you put into these two iconic characters. I feel like you have not only maintained a firm grasp of the friendship between them from the very beginning, but you have demonstrated, in the purest form, what these two men really mean to each other. In some ways, they're practically soulmates. While i believe they may love each other on a platonic level, there is affection there that is extremely poignant at times.

The Thanksgiving dinner McCoy prepared for Jim, and McCoy telling Jim that he was thankful for him really gripped at me, because I don't think anyone has ever told Jim that before. The "Love you too, Bones" was very believable, I could definitely hear Jim saying that. For instance, I don't think either one of them would ever come right out and say, "I love you", but they'll say it in their actions or inadvertently through certain words of encouragement, or bantering, but never " I love you." So yea, "Love you too" seems very fitting for these two, as well as true to their characters.
Warrior717 chapter 5 . 6/19/2014
What a fantastic chapter! Jim asking in so many words that McCoy stay with him on the couch before he fell asleep, and feeling extremely embarressed about asking (but not really asking, if Jim had anything to say about it) was so incredibly cute! It really put a smile on my face reading it. :)

The scene at the end with Toland and McCoy was wonderfully written, and I found myself really empathizing with Toland after gaining a better understanding and insight into her character.

The only thing that bothered me, and this is not a criticism to your writing by any means (you did warn us that there would be a lot of language, but I tend to say what's on my mind regardless) was the use of the Lord's name in vain. I can handle most foul language, if it's appropriate for the given situation as I've become somewhat desensitized to reading certain words, but the blantant use of the Lord's name in vain always gets to me, especially because it's unessessary. I hated the way McCoy said it in the movie too, and I'm mentioning it to you now only because it appeared you used it more in this chapter than you did the others. That's the only issue I have, everything else about this chapter was absolutely perfect!

Oh, and the ending (the last two lines)...it actually gave me chills. This story is such a treat to read! :)
Warrior717 chapter 4 . 6/17/2014
This was another wonderful chapter!

I found it so endearing the way McCoy worried over Jim. My favorite moment about this chapter was when McCoy went over to Jim's apartment looking for him, and he called Pike, only to learn that Jim was with him. The scene even had a bit if humor when McCoy realized that he missed Jim's note, and i found the part where Pike and Jim chuckled due the miscommunication and the protectiveness McCoy showed, was just plain adorable. I am enjoying, very much, the interactions between Pike and McCoy, and I love the fact that Pike recognizes how much Jim means to him.

McCoy's story about his father is so tragic. I understand him honoring his father's wishes so that he wouldn't have to suffer anymore, but the subsequent guilt for having done that, especially after a cure was found months later would have been difficult for anyone to live with. I would love to read a story with more background dealing with his father's death, and how Jim helps him to cope with that. Like if his father's death anniversary came up, and McCoy didn't seem like himself, and Jim helped him get through it or something. It was good to see the two of them opening up, in fact, it was almost relieving.

The conversation between Toland and McCoy sparked my interest too, and was an interesting development. I can only assume by her reaction that she had been there on Tarsus. It sure explains a lot about her personality and the way she does things.

This is such beauitful, intricate story, and you have flawlessly executed each chapter up to this point. I truly admire you skills as a writer, and I am very much looking forward to reading more. :)
Warrior717 chapter 3 . 6/16/2014
This chapter was...my goodness, it was *beautiful*. It is possibly my favorite chapter so far, and I enjoyed the other two chapters SO much; especially the parts that showed Jim's lighter, confident side, and oh, (I forgot to mention this in my chapter 1 review) the part when Jim says that McCoy's nickname just sort of stuck, and McCoy responds back with, "unstick it." That is probably one of the best Jim/Bones moments I've ever read.

But back to this chapter; the whole thing was good, but there were so many precious moments worth mentioning. First, we know that Jim finally opening up to Bones the way he did was really hard for him to do, but the fact that he allowed himself to it revealed how much Bones means to him, and how much he trust him. I love that Jim held Bone's hand while talking to him about Tarsus, and by doing that, it gave Jim strength to keep going somehow.

Then, we got to see Jim's partial breakdown (oh, and don't even get me started about Bones crying-that was hard to read, and extremely touching), part of me would have felt more satisfied if Jim had actually given in completely and allowed himself to cry (instead if suppressing his sobs), but I think you made the right decision here in this particular situation, as it honored Jim's character. It made sense for McCoy to cry, because I think in general, McCoy feels/cares too much; i believe It's one reason he became a doctor in the first place. But Jim often supresses emotional pain, putting others first, and I think if he gave in completely in this situation, it would have gone against everything in his nature. He would have had to accept that pain and let it go, something he's not ready to do yet.

I was also moved when Jim said to Bones, "You...you're real." While some might interpret that as Jim vaguely admitting that he loves Bones in a way that goes beyond friendship (possibly in the sensual nature) I took it as a confession that Jim feels a more deeper, platonic love towards Bones. Sort of like a brotherly love, but one that is genuine, indisputable, and one that is unbreakable. Bones sees Jim for him, and has stuck by him.

Jim helping Bones with his nosebleed was a perfect, tender moment between them, and then Jim layin his head on his friend's lap with Bone's arm wrapped around him was believable as well, even for male characters like these two. Jim is a very tactile person, and Bones is willing to give Jim what he needs if it will help him.

I admire the way you portray their friendship, it's like a gift to your readers; real, and genuine. I've said this before, but even though Jim and McCoy are merely fictitious characters, they often feel much more real than that. I think their friendship is the epitome of what real - life friendships should be like.

Thank you so much for another fantastic chapter, and I definitely look forward to reading more! :o)
Warrior717 chapter 2 . 6/11/2014
Wow...you continue to impress me. The quality of your writing is equvilent to that of a published writer, and one of the highest quality. You make writing seem so effortless, and admire your talent.

There were such poignant descriptions throughout this chapter, and certain ones in particular really gripped at me. For instance, when McCoy took Jim's hand, not caring what anyone else thought, and encouraged Jim to breathe. Or when Jim squeezed McCoy's hand back. It's the smallest details, the ones that are the most subtle, that are at times the most meaningful.

I love Pike, and the surrogate father he plays for Jim. You convey their relationship, as well as Jim and McCoy's, so perfectly. I also very much enjoyed the conversation between Pike and McCoy, and was very surprised that McCoy never put two and two together about Jim being George Kirk's son, but on the other hand, it makes sense.

This story is SO good, and I look forward to reading more. :)