Reviews for Adversity
lisello chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
...Usually I'm anti-Emily too, but this .. This makes me think. It has got to be hard to be Emily too, right? I love the story, beautifully written. Thumbs up :)
Jen A chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
Very well done, and much more balanced. I'm not a fan of the Emily hate - Sam isn't a shirt. He can't be stolen. I also don't think that in real life other people surrounding the situation would care as much. They would probably whisper about it being a shame, then move on to the next scandel du jour. This is going to make me sound callous, but Sam and Leah weren't married. They didn't have children. They were high school sweethearts. Most of us will get our hearts broken at least once in this life, and we become much wiser for it. Besides, I kind of think Leah is too good for Sam. I would love for the next Twilight book to be written from her perspective.
Kcrane chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
Another great story, no matter what I will always hate Emily, I dont care what her reasoning is, she had a choice and it was herself she chose, not sam and not lean.
Jessie07 chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
Cool story! It's really well written and I enjoyed this different perspective on Emily and her relationship! Keep up the great work! :D
Anti-Imprinting chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
An interesting perspective from Emily, but sadly, I still feel no sympathy for her. She made the choice to be selfish and the conscious decision that she'd rather betray her cousin for her own happiness than be loyal...because apparently having Sam to pamper her is one of those things "more important than love". Then the way she's believing that Leah will get over it, find someone else, and eventually forgive her is foolishness, especially when-for all the guilt Emily claims to be feeling, she does NOTHING for it.

The problem with imprinting and the Sam/Emily relationship is that it can be seen as one of two major ways. The first is that the imprinted girl has no choice-as shown by Sam scarring Emily for life when she told him no. The second is that the imprintee has all the power and control, as evidenced by the way that the wolf will be "whatever she needs him to be". As such, I can see both Sam and Emily in a negative light here-not just because of what they did and how they ran off together and left Leah in the cold, but how they CONTINUED to act.

In a way, I do feel bad for her and what she is going through, and I can understand her feelings. But honestly, whatever guilt she feels doesn't matter if she's not willing to do anything about it other than wait and expect Leah to eventually forgive her for something she honestly doesn't seem that sorry for if she's able to shrug it off so easily.

Overall, I like your one-shot, but I simply don't like Emily. And while this perspective does give her more depth than the entirety of the actual series did, it only seems to go in line with my view of Emily and her selfishness. Because in the end, no matter how guilty she may be feeling or how hurt she is by the treatment she's receiving, no matter how much she's stating that the way everyone is seeing her is wrong; her actions, her decisions, her view on the matter really only seem to fall in line with what they claim about her. Even if it's not how it started, that is how it ended up, and considering Emily's unwillingness to atone or try to make up for any of it, maybe they weren't completely wrong from the start.
hufflepuffbrunette247 chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
Beautiful. I'm very proud of you (I'd like to think that somehow our little conversation had some influence in this). So deep and clearly well thought out. You do realize this makes me love Emily even more because now in my head her thoughts are just this fluid. Haha, but really, I love it. Keep up the great work! :)
Andthelightswillguideyouhome chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
love even though u made me actually feel bad for emily and imprinting -.-