Reviews for Mass Effect: A new past
CrazyHades chapter 8 . 7/29
I haven't been able to tell due to the little mention of them but if Gauss weapons are energy based then wouldn't they bypass Kinetic Barriers? I know that the humans laser and plasma/pulse weaponry should outright ignore it due to those being energy weapons. Which I would think would cause the Turian's, who only use Mass Effect weaponry like every other Citadel Race, to at least take interest in their weaponry especially since the so-called 'primitive race' has weapons that act as though their shield aren't even there.
With the Gauss (I'm going off Fallout logic here so I may be completely off) I would understand it causing the Kinetic barriers to flare up since, if I remember right, Gauss rounds impact the target with an incredible amount of kinetic force.
I might just be pulling some of this out of my ass due to me being half asleep (it's 0255) but not wanting to stop reading so sorry if you can't make sense of what I'm saying.
Radon088 chapter 8 . 7/15
Ok, something about this space battle really bugs me. Why would you opt for a slow ponderous approach, sacrificing tons of frigates and corvettes as a screen when your weapons are all extremely powerful in the short range? The only justification given was that it would cause "unnecessary casualties". But you lost a lot of ships in the screening anyway. Surely with such a large number of light warships it would be far more effective to swarm the enemy fleet at maximum acceleration? The Turians are inept at knife fight range so why advance so slowly through a hail of mass accelerator fire? This battle makes no sense.
Skepsis Forever chapter 2 . 7/2
Ah, another fic that makes me want the Council Races wiped out/subjugated. I'm vaguely ok with that.
Indecisive Bob chapter 15 . 6/25
Excellent story! And wow, I really like what you did with the Batarians. It's pretty hard to think of them in any way besides "Evil," but your explanation makes a good amount of sense. Thank you for sharing this story with us readers!
MattKennedy chapter 15 . 6/11
Awesome story! I really enjoyed the more realistic tech and development of humanity that you included. :)
MattKennedy chapter 13 . 6/10
Space Elves! :D
MattKennedy chapter 11 . 6/10
I very much agree with you that the humans of the ME universe are far too weak, especially when we look at our current rate of development.
Difdi chapter 13 . 6/4
You have a recurring typo.

A canon is an official decree. A cannon is a heavy gun. You keep using the word cannon when the word you want is canon.
Difdi chapter 12 . 6/4
If the Alliance is inherently wrong in how they treat the Reticulans, then the Council is equally wrong, for the same reasons, in how they treat the Krogans, Geth and, for that matter, how they treated the Rachni.

Of course, the Council seems to be MADE of 'do as I say not as I do' and are unlikely to admit to any such thing.
Difdi chapter 9 . 6/4
You have a typo in your author note at the start of this chapter. The Force is the plot filler in Star WARS not Star Trek.
Difdi chapter 8 . 6/4
Well, this version of the Turians are just one big walking war crime, aren't they? I hope Palaven at least gets bombarded at some point, they certainly have it coming.

But I can guess how the Humans get that aggressor label though - Turians are the Citadel's military, Humans get attacked by the Citadel military, so the counter attack goes in against the Citadel as a nation, not merely the Turian Hierarchy. I imagine the Asari and Salarians losing a few colonies due to the actions of Turians will piss them off, since they don't consider themselves to be a single nation, they shouldn't have been attacked, or reasoning to that effect.
fuzzyidioms chapter 15 . 5/24
This is an excellent Work! Thank you for this well thought out and engaging take on what the systems alliance could be. This is fantastic and I certainly will be delighted to read the next installment.

Astarael Darkrah Black chapter 2 . 4/4
Did you mean Domed or Doomed in terms of the Lunar colonies because you wrote the later.
enji-benjy chapter 14 . 3/1
I don't see why you included the mission with Seren and Anderson in this story when there is no chance in hell it would have taken place in this universe. It only happened in canon because Anderson was being evaluated as a Specter candidate, something that wouldn't have happened here since there is no way in hell the council would even pretend to contemplate a human specter. It was only in canon to demonstrate how evil Seren was.

And even if they were working together, the technology our soldiers have means that the whole thing would have been recorded, so there is no way it could have been blamed on Anderson like it was in canon.

Also, not even the Citadel Counsel is stupid enough (at least the new Salarian isn't) to assign a Specter to investigate a possible rouge Specter, not when they have no idea who it might be. They would use the STG to investigate instead.

Given the differences in Earth history, Cerberus would have either started a century ago when humans first made contact with aliens, or the more likely outcome is that it wouldn't start at all given the way Earth is more unified before space travel is invented and you have repeatedly gone out of your way to say how tolerant of each other everyone in the Alliance is.

Also, whats going on with the human ships shields? Do they stop mass accelerated rounds or not, you seam to show both... Given that the Alliance used directed energy weapons, their shields should be able to stop the point defence Gordian lasers on Citadel ships no problem. The Citadel's kinetic barriers should be all but useless against directed energy weapons, since they are designed to stop a solid object, not energy. Not even reapers used directed energy weapons, if memory serves their main gun is some sort of molten metal suspended in a ME field.

And when is the Alliance going to do something to fix the MASSIVE disadvantage they are at when it comes to space battles? I find it very hard to believe that in all the time since first contact the navy has done nothing to fix the problem that their enemy can engage from much farther away. This could be fixed by either giving them a good defence, or a longer ranged weapon.
TheHabberdashery chapter 15 . 2/15
This forced me to think from multiple perspectives and more intensely overall than most published fiction I own.

I was also absolutely delighted to see the over the top villian quality given to Batarians across the board pointed out and recitified.