Reviews for True Meaning
Peabodythecat chapter 1 . 12/23/2014
This a new Christmas classic! Love Tess, who is absolutely NOT Danny's mother, love the holidays, and always, always love your amazing DannyandRusty.
damncritic chapter 1 . 5/10/2014
Sigh, idiots, the both of them. Good thing tess was there to slap them awake, figuratively. Warms the heart how danny would sacrifice anything for tess even if hes dying inside and how rusty is willing to do anything so that danny doesnt hurt more and how tess knows and accepts dannynrusty before she even got together with danny because they are just that inseparable.
superkim111 chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
I wrote another commentary. Here it is whether you like it or not:

I admit I had to google stollen. The images that came up made it look delicious.

Rusty in a mood at Christmas time? I’ve never encountered this before.

Poor Rusty. So that’s why he’s in a mood.

I wonder what events will lead to all of them having Christmas together?

Aaawwww. But Rusty will always be Danny’s idiot.

Where is Danny’s hand?

Oh. That’s where it is.

Oh Tess. Cookies and smells and decorations aren’t what make Christmas special. It’s the people you spend it with. You’ll figure that out by the end of the story.

Hahaha. Lewd gingerbread men.

Tess you really have no idea what’s going on in Rusty’s head, do you? You’ll probably figure that out too.

FATHER Christmas showing cleavage?

Guilty if you do and guilty if you don’t eh Danny?

So that’s why Tess was oblivious! She thought that Danny knew to invite Rusty! Geez those boys can be thick sometimes.

Poor Rusty. Don’t worry, you’re about to get a nice surprise.

Teehee. His pants are ringing.

And they agree with me about the thick thing even if they used a different word.

Aaawwww. Just….aawwww.
amitai chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
I am late late LATE to the reviewing game here, but I just wanted to say, as always, I LOVED this, and I just love your Tess. She's... picture perfect, and the little clues as to how it goes wrong for them (business trips! forgive him anything!) are excellent. And this is a wonderful story! Thank you so much. :D
InSilva chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
Happy Christmas!

Smiling for the support. Mate.

For most of this fic, have burning desire to shake both of them. Hard. Oh, they are both *idiots*. But you see, can see how the mistake happens. Because neither of them are going to vocalise the thought, they're just going to believe it and act accordingly.

Sigh for all the memories of Christmas - Rusty and Danny Christmases, Tess Christmases - and the idea that for Rusty and Danny, Christmas only started happening when they made the magic for themselves. And you've already shared that fantastic part of the story.

There's a lot of ow wrapped up in the way they're avoiding the subject. Working together and not talking about it at all. A huge elephant in the room. (Which hopefully isn't too worried.)

"Oh, Danny," Rusty sighed. "'s okay. Really, it's okay. Things change and people wind up in different places."

Which is indeed an echo to chapter one of mtc. And that's as far as they get to acknowledging what they've both so sure they've worked out. And in both their heads, they're torn between wanting the Tesshappiness and knowing things won't be completely right till after the holidays.

One of my favourite scenes in this is Rusty baking with Tess. I really do love the way you write them. No tension, no awkwardness. They like each other and they love Danny and that's a very good starting point for lasting friendship. Much joy for the cookery lessons and there's a bittersweet smile at the suggestive cakes for Jonny because we all know what Rusty being "ill" means. And sidenote that I love that Tess knows who Mabel is. And intrigue for what they told her. Yes, hint. What, I have to be subtle now?

The revelation that Rusty is out of the country and can *see* the hurt in Tess, firstly at the thought that Rusty doesn't like her and then the fact that Danny's misunderstood her.

"Christmas is for family, Danny,"

Sigh. And they are both *idiots*.

Rusty losing himself in a job. And he's been pushing himself to the absolute limits because whilst he's working, he doesn't have to think.

The conversation with Danny and the knowledge that he is not the Match Girl. And then there is a lot of running.

Meeting Rusty at the airport and smiling at the "There were times when she suspected that she really would forgive him for absolutely anything." Because yes. But it might take four years. And it's absolutely the thing that Tess would do. Because short of getting on a plane and making a mid-air hookup, this is the soonest they're going to see Rusty. And of course, the smiles. Like the little gyroscope thing in Inception. Everything is on-balance.

Lovely domestic scene at the end. Traditions enhanced. And smiling for the many gingerbread men. Such a *good* characteristation touch.

And thank you for the happiness. *all warm and content*
harmonyhelms chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
This was so sweet! I secretly hoped that Danny would ditch Tess and would surprise Rusty in his hotel room but your way works too:) Your stories make me smile! :)
Hijokugei chapter 1 . 12/31/2010
Epic win, dude. As usual.
Maia2 chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
What a cute x-mass story. I really liked all the misunderstandings and that of course, in it all, Danny & Rusty interpreted things the exact same way. Even when they're wrong, they are both wrong the same way. Poor things.

Glad Rus made it home for Christmas.

Thanks for sharing,

Maia.
light at last chapter 1 . 12/13/2010
Oh, my goodness. I love it so much it's not even a little bit funny. Absolutely adorable and a little bit heart-breaking all at the same time. I adore your characterization of Tess, that she carefully considered whether she could share Danny with Rusty before she ever married him, and that she never, ever considered that Rusty might not be coming for Christmas. And then that comment about how she thought she'd forgive him for anything, because we have the movie, and know that she almost didn't but then she did, and really, if you were married to that man, you'd forgive him just about anything too, don't you think? I would. I also like that you just had it kind of slipped in there that Rusty was trying to impress a boy and Tess just took that too. I'm sorry, this really wasn't a story about Tess, and the actual story was great too, but you just made Tess so awesome that I can't help myself.
Floraflower chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
You just gave me the best break ever from studying! I have exams all through the comming week, and a little christmas break was just what I needed.

Go InSilva! I've voted "up front" 'cause I really shouldn't start on any stories this week, I promised myself.. BUT, now I have a great holiday to look forward to just waiting to read!

Thank you as always for writing your wonderful stories, I really apreciate it!
cleared account 02 chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
*dies from the awesomeness*

I really want to write a better review, but I have to give a three minute speech in three hours and all I have down is three sentences. *weeps in despair* So all I can say now is that this is amazing, I love Tess, Jimmy Stewart all the way, and I will go read InSilva's story as soon as I've finished my % #!%$ speech.

Happy holidays!
Copper.Chips chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
Oh, boys. You _are_ idiots sometimes. (I love stories where Tess _get_ them, and understand that they're even closer than family. Of course she wanted Rusty to be there all along!) I'm ridiculously happy and warm right now :D Thank you Merry Christmas o