Reviews for The Maenad of the Maquis
Young Catholic chapter 1 . 9/11/2013
I can't even begin to explain how intrinsically wrong this fanfic is. First of all, I would have absolutely no complaint if perhaps we were discussing a noble, young man with only the barest sense of the meaning of Christianity, but the point is that we're not. This is Peter, High King of 'Narnia', a place that happens to be a thinly veiled metaphor for the Kingdom of God. There is no way, no how, a King of Christianity (I don't care how a majority of the actual kings in our history books who 'claimed' to be christian actually behaved) in C.S Lewis's books, would engage in casual sex outside of the sacred bounds of marriage. You may argue that everyone has their own version of being christian, but we all know that this is a liberal lie. The fact is that Jesus - the REAL one, who cleared out an entire temple because he was pretty ticked off, YES, God, like any father, can be angry with us - would have never condoned such disgraceful behaviour and Jesus is Aslan - I'm sure that everyone knows this by now. Peter is loyal to Aslan even beyond death. Need I say more?
OldFashionedGirl95 chapter 2 . 7/7/2013
I have tears in my eyes. Thank you.
OldFashionedGirl95 chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
OK, this is gorgeous, with Bacchus being as real here as Aslan is. The meticulous setting, the meals, the priceless cheese and terrible wine, are all worth mentioning, but what really stands out to me is the heartbreaking beauty of Peter tenderly telling this starved, hungry Maenad of magical feasts far away in a land unravaged by war. It's ... wow.
news to the maxx chapter 1 . 3/5/2013
This is perfection. This is one of those stories that makes you pause and just savor it because it is so rare and wonderful. Words can't really describe it accurately so I'll just say it was amazing and thank you:)
Mercury Gray chapter 2 . 1/23/2013
Oh, this was so excellent! I myself have a bit of a time writing the denizens of the CoN as sexual creatures, but I wish I didn't, because this was really, really good. You got all the period details right, and, as I think several of your other reviewers have stated your use of the French really does add something. I love studying about the maquis - resistance movements during WWII are all really interesting - and so to have you use it here alongside of Narnia was really, really fun.

I wish I had something more productive to say, but really, I'm flummoxed. It was just that good.
mamapyjama chapter 2 . 12/30/2012
Your maenad is a joy, I loved her adoration of the cheese, and your Peter is a very wise man to heed the gods' warnings so carefully!
Hebi R chapter 2 . 12/14/2012
I am glad you chose to post this.
janeeyre54 chapter 2 . 11/1/2012
Holy Mother of Pearl! That wasHOT!
Heliopause chapter 2 . 10/4/2012
Exquisite.

(And thank you very much for Marie surviving!)
basaltone chapter 2 . 5/2/2012
Wonderfully written, thoughtful piece, a Narnia story for grown-ups. I absolutely love the idea of our beloved characters living to fight another day, as it were (I have never been able to read the last book, once I found out how he ends them-too painful). It makes so much sense that our valiant (and magnificent) warriors would jump into the war in their adopted country just as they did when they were home. I love the idea of Susan dedicating her life to helping the resistance instead of swanning off to meaningless parties-it fits her Gentle character much better. I know the timeline is all wrong, since he was only 11 in the first book, but this world is are twisting timelines and cannon already, so I say what the heck-could we see a WWII story with Edmund, possibly? If not, I understand - I know how fickle a muse can be, but I still want to thank you sincerly for your wonderful story. This is the vision I will now picture when I imagine Peter grown up in England. By the way, thank you for the recomendation of the Wine and War book, I have already placed it on hold at my local libray-I can't wait to read more. You have inspired me.
WriterWilf chapter 2 . 4/29/2012
I've been looking forever for this story. I read it back in August 2011. Loved it. But life distracted me and I wasn't able to add it to my favorites list. I searched everywhere and I couldn't find it. Silly me forgot to write down the title and the author.

I finally gave up after a week of searching. Figuring it would turn up eventually. And then you came onto my forum, and I thought, "You know, now that I think about it, I think the author of that fic had a bird for her avvie." Then life pulled me away again, but I still kept wondering. Finally I read Rat and Sword Go To War and saw that your style was an identical match to the fic I was looking for. And that's when I realized, "Duh! She's the author!" Now here we are.

I loved the use of French in this fic. I've been taking and studying French for three years now. And it feels good to read fics where French is used and I can actually understand all of it. The detail was magnificent, and the concept very intriguing. I love reading M fics, but there always seems to be a lack of well-written ones on this site. They don't seem to get the adult concepts down. They lack understanding. Of course I know there's other sites where fics such as these are better written, but I prefer to stick to familiar places. One of these days I may venture beyond my regular sites though.

And of course, overall, I love it. I can tell you put in lots of research. Not to mention tons of effort. I have a feeling I will be reading more of your stuff when the time allows it.
fledge chapter 2 . 2/22/2012
So now you are not only a scholar, a historian and a scientist but a gourmet expert as well! Wonderful story, even (or perhaps exactly because) it presents Peter in a very human way, not the magnificent High King but the tired, dirty and frightened man on the run. Very good to NOT present Marie as a stunning beauty! Maenads don't have to be gorgeous to look at, their magic is a completely different one.

Of course, some CSL afficionados will take offence at the idea of Peter as a sexual being (as well as the use of the horrible word condom), but this is exactly what makes him person one can imagine in our world. Equally of course, some may criticise that the official Narnia timeline doesn't fit inwith this. Peter most likely will not have been a flight officer at the age of 17. (Or perhaps you have researched even that and found out it might have been possible?)
Erisah Mae chapter 2 . 1/19/2012
Really, really enjoyed this one :) I can completely see Peter as both an enjoyer of the Narnian females and as a fighter pilot, but mostly I just really loved the detail in this fic. Marie was a quite believable Maenad, and I found her to be an interesting character.

Nice one.

Erisah
Idhren chapter 2 . 10/30/2011
I am struck by how loving a story this is. The sensuality of it is as much in the taste of yearned for cheese as in the touch of skin on skin, and Peter's exquisite sensitivity to Marie's needs and situation, to the needs and situation of all the French Resistance members with whom he comes into contact, the way it is so natural for him to go 'of course, she's a Maenad, Maenad's are X', i.e. forces of nature and humanity both, ay, ay, it strikes to the heart of things where Narnia is as true as anything to be found because emNarnia is a way of seeing depth/resonance/holiness in the world/em.

Also, I am finding the historical details fascinating. So much I never knew re: Occupied France! And thank you for including the condoms-so true.
spinningleaves chapter 2 . 6/4/2011
Absolutely beautiful bringing of Narnia into a dark time in England's history. It was wonderful to imagine the four Pevensies together in the war effort and seeing Peter as a magnificent young man, clearly respectful and away of the superiority of his maenad. Superb!
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »