Reviews for When She Was
AJ chapter 1 . 6/12/2013
Very impressive character study. Excellent story.
mfmp chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
This is a HA! Fanfic with the size of the show. It's perfect. It's simply brilliant.
Save Fearow chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Oddly enough I was always more sympathetic to Bob than Miriam on the show. My inner Freud says I still haven't resolved the issues of my mother's alcoholism. _
That said, I understood the perspective of Bob in this story. While darker than most things I like to read it flowed well, remained true to his canon portrayal, and left him with a degree of dignity/pathos while never redeeming him. This version of Bob made even worse choices than I think he would have, but a consistent logic was applied to his reasoning that made it understandable, but not pardonable. I'm sure there are lots of people like this in the real world sadly. People you want to pity but they are too wrapped in self-loathing and a misery of their own making for you to spend much effort on their behalf.
Good job. You managed to write a very believable, emotional, and thoughtful piece and I commend you for it.
pisceanchic101 chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
Loved this story. The emotions are so intense, and I nearly cried when it came to the heart attack part. So sad. Anyways, nicely done.
Myriamj chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
Ok. This history is awesome.

I think in the series, BigBob is a idiot, but he is not so bad. He care of Helga sometimes, ocassionally. Ok, few epissodes.

This history, show me other point of view about BigBob, and is absolutly coherent, with sense in its perspective.

Good history.
AntiqueDreams chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
Man, you REALLY make him an asshole...

Great story, though...so much told in so few words.
Marie Nomad chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
This is a fascinating story. I liked how fast and smooth the story seemed to flow and it was very much in character. I'm glad that you didn't 'redeem' him. It would be too sappy and it wouldn't work. I enjoyed this very much.
Pyrex Shards chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
This had a lot of impact on me. I like how you progressed through this and never broke away from bob's point of view. It's cool that we could see what was really going on even through the filter of his biased perspective. It made his misgivings at the end profound, IMHO.
therentyoupay chapter 1 . 5/9/2011
Perfect! I can definitely see this happening. You have a knack for keeping characters in character and for keeping your reader intrigued. Thanks!
too many stars to count chapter 1 . 3/8/2011
Oh dear.

This was an accurate, if heart breaking, portrayal of Bob.

At the risk of sounding sappy it made me cry. I don't have a good relationship with my parents and seeing how much he despises her is heart wrenching. He loves her, but it's buried so deep, and so warped.

Miriam was always a much more redeemable character than Bob.

I wish it could have ended differently but I think this was the only realistic ending on Bob's part at least.

Great job.
loonytunecrazy chapter 1 . 1/3/2011
Exllcent fic yeah I can certeinly see Bob become like this
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
Like your story on Miriam, I am absolutely enthralled by this! I loved your take on Bob Pataki and your analysis on his character. You don't make him completely heartless, writing in moments when he feels guilt and regret, but you ultimately show that his pride is what keeps him back from doing what's right.

It's always interesting looking at both Bob and Helga as characters. The two of them are a lot alike, and so it's natural that they would only clash. You did a great job of portraying that and of showing the gradual declining of their relationship until there was truly nothing between them. The ending was sad, because it showed that Bob did want to make things right, but how it was just easier for him to blame the downward course of his life on Helga, even though she did nothing wrong. I could see him resenting his youngest daughter for her success, and you not only wrote that out very well, but you also showed Helga's disgust for him, along with how she left and never looked back.

Like your story with Miriam, I'm sure this fic will keep me thinking and analyzing more of Bob's character for a while now!

Thanks for the great read :)
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
Yes, I can so see Bob ruining his life like this and blaming Helga.

Keep the good writing.
CarlinJ83 chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
the ending kinda broke my heart.