Reviews for Advent
FlysWithNoWings chapter 9 . 12/10/2017
This was haunting. The simple pleasure of reading the first few chapters that quickly changed to horror as the story carried on. I am lying in my bed on December 10th at nearly two in the morning with tears rolling down my face. Sarah who loved her brother so much. With the parallels of Christianity and Christmas, Mary and her child, the closer the end of this story became and the more the horror spread and took root in my heart, the verse John 3:16 warped into a sentence of utter defeat and heartbreak. “For Sarah so loved her brother, that she gave her freedom, her body, and life, that he who was chosen and groomed would not have death but life through her greatest sacrifice.”

This was one of the absolute best pieces of literature I have ever read. I was gripped with first joy, then warning, and finally, terror. My heart broke at the nonchoice that Sarah had. When the inkling of the sacrifice she had already promised started quietly making itself known as she denied men she loved and could see a future with because with that future only came loss. And then Toby first pushing her away and then dragging her right into the predator’s den, the pawn in a game he didn’t realize he was playing. His sister’s greatest joy and her ultimate Judas’ kiss. Sarah who was given the option to allow her brother to die as prey or to surrender her body to a man who will merely abuse her and use her. Who claims his love for her as she flinches away from his vile touch. I am broken for her. For the torture she will face. For the rape she will endure. For her love of Toby. Live well, she said. Because she will never have the opportunity. I am broken.

Please do not misunderstand when I say I will never be able to read this story again. It is not that it isn’t well written, but that it is so well written that I have left every emotion I have had ripped from me between the paragraph breaks and at every cold and calculated punctuation. You have spun quite the Grimm fairytale, a beautiful cautionary tale that warns that we must not talk to Goblin men. We must not eat their fruit.
SquidPire chapter 9 . 8/20/2017
Well, I'm speechless. This was devastating and absolutely gorgeous. Well done! Who knew such brilliant fiction could be inspired by such a fun, cult-y '80s romp like Labyrinth? (Not bashing it at all - I love Labyrinth, which is obviously why I'm here) This both sent chills up my spine and was so deeply moving. Thank you.
BaconBaker chapter 9 . 5/24/2017
Okay, this epilogue made me cry. Took me awhile to catch on that it was Toby narrating the prologue although by now after reading everything else you've written, I REALLY should have known better. I think it hit me sometime in Part 6, immediately followed by "DUH you idiot" and a quick re-read of the prologue just to convince myself that I was pretty sure I was right. I'm a little sad that this was the last fic for me to read, and more than a bit upset that you haven't been on since 2010 so it's unlikely anything new will be coming soon. I don't even know if you check your reviews/messages anymore, but if you do, know that you are a fabulous writer (even when you're scaring the beJesus out of me or making me cry-then again that's what makes a writer. How dull would it be if a story never connected with our emotions?) and if you ever publish anything original, I'd love to get it if you'd maybe put an update on your profile!
It's been a lovely journey going through your works. Thank you for them all.
Aki chapter 9 . 5/23/2017
Very poignant. And very sad, too. Jareth is just as cruel and beautiful as one would expect of a fey being.
Hana chapter 9 . 9/9/2016
Dude I sobbed like a child. Fucking hell. Best fanfic ever dear god; its perfectly dark and so, so sweet because the love between Toby and Sarah is perfect love. Thanks so much
Guest chapter 1 . 1/15/2016
RIP BOWIE!
Sora Tayuya chapter 9 . 11/20/2015
An excellently written ending, bravo. Very nice. Quite nerve-wracking. You really had me fooled with that opening chapter, but the narration of Toby throughout gave me doubts.
Sora Tayuya chapter 8 . 11/20/2015
...well.
Sora Tayuya chapter 7 . 11/20/2015
Serious things are serious.
Sora Tayuya chapter 6 . 11/20/2015
And it hits the fan. I am so glad they began talking again, and that some truth came out. So Sarah hasn't actually told Toby about her own adventure in the Labyrinth, though? Admittedly, she was no more than a petulant child actor herself, at the time, but still.
Sora Tayuya chapter 5 . 11/20/2015
I am very glad the lad has realized life is not sunshine and rainbows for one wishing to succeed a Goblin King.
Sora Tayuya chapter 4 . 11/20/2015
Toby's development and the overall character development is quite on mark.
Sora Tayuya chapter 3 . 11/19/2015
I like the duality being formed of Jareth's relations towards both Toby and Sarah. The relationships overall are well portrayed in this story so far, as is the writing-of-the-times in that age voice.
Chaotic-Masterpiece chapter 9 . 7/23/2015
I have to tell you, this is one of my favorite stories. I've re-read it probably a dozen times and I just can't get enough of your characterization and the way you weave together all of the tiny but mighty plot points. I don't know if you even read reviews anymore, but I truly am impressed by your incredible talent. If your muse ever whispered in your ear to come back to fanfic, I would love to catch a glimpse of what is happening to Sarah after she leaves. It would be kind of interesting and poignant if she finally escaped only to find that Toby had already died of old age. But I digress. Great, great job on this one (well, on all of your stories, let's be honest).
J.R. Godwin chapter 9 . 7/22/2015
This is such a great story. I love how the language changes as Toby ages, and how you close all loops and bring everything full circle. It's so satisfying.

Great use of myth too. I'm so curious who "they" were who trained Sarah up as a "third-rate saboteur" instead of a "proper runewriter, spellcrafter or sorceror." Jareth must be rather infamous in your world if a lot of people want him contained ... and I think that's a key piece to his identity. His earlier comment to Toby about being trapped for two centuries in a lamp, and Toby associating him with light and fire, remind me of the old tales about the jinn, who were trapped by King Solomon and used to build his temple. You couldn't kill them either, only contain them and overpower them for your own uses. Even Jareth has a power sigil written on his hand, which Sarah kisses. I wonder who gave it to him and whose power he's under? Or does it mean something else? And Jareth doesn't understand love either, only power and possessiveness. He seeks to contain Sarah.

I'm also reminded of a great moment in "The Exorcist" when Father Merrin warns the younger priest Damien not to listen to the demon because he'll "mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological, and very powerful." Jareth does this here with Toby and really is a master of telling his victims what they want to see. It's interesting how much perception, and not true sight, leads to Toby's and Sarah's downfall. The fey can be quite malevolent according to the old tales, but the way you portray Jareth here with his seduction process puts me to mind more of a demon. Chilling stuff.

I hope you're writing professionally. You're a wonderful storyteller.