Reviews for Pokemon: Soul Of Steel
DeathGoblin chapter 18 . 10/11/2013
Lyra really came through in this chapter, and it shows her improvement. I also liked the detail of Zero not quite trusting her (or at least questioning her motives). As for the Guy and who he really is, I thought it was a great reveal, though it begs the question of why he didn't bother going off with Lyra and JT to protect them. There's also the question of why he wasn't resisting Team Rocket himself.

I hope you update this someday. It's coming along nicely.
DeathGoblin chapter 17 . 10/11/2013
The cliff hanger was nice and I'm glad houndoom returned and redeemed himself. Lyra was both lucky and smart in what she did. About the eevee, it's odd that a wild eevee would know Shadow Ball, so there probably should be more to its backstory. Since the circus people are obviously part of or connected to Team Rocket, it's seems like only a matter of time before JT and Lyra are forced to make their escape.
DeathGoblin chapter 16 . 10/11/2013
The training battle at the beginning was nice, and the having JT use Noctowl was good as well. I also liked that Lyra's marill made an appearance. Also, the appearance of the circus was also a nice bit of world building and I'm guessing the pokemon being whipped was a riolu. I'm not too keen of Lyra just finding an eevee out in the wilderness, but I guess it's possible.
DeathGoblin chapter 15 . 10/11/2013
It was nice to see JT and Lyra just relaxing with their pokemon, though it was also a missed opportunity for the rest of their teams. Bayleef and Blitz had good development, but what about Zero, Treecko, or Hoothoot? Lyra's marril got no development either. However, the JT/Lyra moments were a nice touch and looking at things from Blitz' perspective was nice as well.
DeathGoblin chapter 14 . 10/10/2013
I actually liked this chapter. It upped the ante a little by having Team Rocket entering the forest and gave some development to both Treecko and Silver. Now that Lyra and JT are out of the forest and on their own, their's a chance to see how their pokemon get along in the cave.
I've neglected to mention him much, but SIlver has really come off nicely, especially in this chapter. I like the hints that he cares about his pokemon, and the brutal beating he received from Jericho is a great example of his vulnerability.
Jericho himself is an intriguing character. I'm also curious about the guardian that Silver failed to defeat and the cryptic command he gave Silver. Overall, I got the impression that something big will happen.
DeathGoblin chapter 13 . 10/10/2013
I liked the radio broadcast. It really shows how Team Rocket is working on public relations and I'm glad that Guy (Lyra's father) was brought back, even if for this one scene. It was a great setup, showing the fallout from what happened after JT and Lyra escaped.
JT getting a treecko was okay (though again, what's a treecko doing in Jhoto). The backstory with the houndoom gives it some depth, and I look forward to seeing how it mesh's with JT's other pokemon. However, another question is why Houndoom doing that to treecko was bad. Were they going beyond normal predation, and how can there be that kind of interspecies morality in an ecosystem.
It seems like Celebi will play a role later in the story. It'll be interesting to see what that is (if she does come back).
DeathGoblin chapter 12 . 10/9/2013
I liked the battle with the houndour and houndoom. The predatory aspect of pokemon is something I like. Also, Celebi's appearance was nicely foreshadowed. However, what's a treecko doing in Jhoto? Other than that, I don't really have much criticism, though the fight scenes could be spruced up by breaking up larger paragraphs for into smaller ones.
DeathGoblin chapter 11 . 10/9/2013
This chapter felt somewhat out of place in the story, but was still enjoyable. I liked all the details about the weeds and the state of the garden. The name Hikari Thestleburn seems out of place though. I know pokemon is a japanese franchise and this chapter had an english theme to it, but mixing the names doesn't make sense (without some in-story justification).
Blue's plan seems airtight and I'm curious to see how his group has been resisting Team Rocket and just as curious about how Team Rocket took over in the first place.
DeathGoblin chapter 10 . 10/6/2013
I like your explanation of how a pokeball works. I'm not sure how this chapter had a different writing style, but I did think the chapter was well-written. The flashback was also implemented nicely.
As for Sazo and Cale, the plot twists involving each was well-implemented and nicely foreshadowed. Lyra knocking Cale out was rash, but considering her emotional stress her poor decision making is understandable. Also, on the topic of Team Rocket's cruelty, if Sazo was setting a trap, perhaps the cruelty was meant to weed out the blindly loyal recruits from those likely to rebel.
DeathGoblin chapter 9 . 10/6/2013
The cliff-hanger was nice. Cale's character intrigues me a little. Sazo's plan is also interesting and you've generally done a good job of developing the prison-like atmosphere.
That being sad, I still think it's a bit too hostile for an organization that's trying to recruit those kids. Maybe they would have the surveilance, but the strict curfews seemed a bit much. Going back to TMNT, the Shredder had a whole arcade setup to make his subordinates like him and play upon their desires.
As for JT and Lyra's relationship, it's coming along well. You can tell they care about each other, but Lyra doesn't like being thought of as weak, and JT is frustrated by her.
DeathGoblin chapter 8 . 10/6/2013
The train system was actually a good explanation of why Team Rocket doesn't have much influence in Cherrygrove, Newbark, or Blackthorn.
However, I found the rocket grunts a little too cruel to the Rank 1s. Maybe the fact that Team Rocket has made them complacent in their recruitment, but wouldn't it be in their interests to make the new recruits feel welcome. In the 1990 TMNT movie, the Shredder refers to the foot clan as a family and declares himself the father of all the younger recruits.
Also, wouldn't Lyra and JT have been pat down before entering the train (maybe security varies depending on what's going on). Also, wouldn't they had been pulled aside for questioning once someone searched their bags and found the pokedexes (rare devices associated with pokemon professors).
DeathGoblin chapter 7 . 10/4/2013
Things really picked up in this chapter. The battle was nice in terms of action, but it would've been better if you had broken it up into shorter sentences and smaller paragraphs. That would make the give the chapter more pages, but make the battle feel more fast-paced. The ending was nicely done and I also liked the hint that Silver might be affiliated with Team Rocket.
DeathGoblin chapter 6 . 10/4/2013
You've done a good job setting up Violet City's atmosphere. Everything from Team Rocket's open presence to Nurse Joy's rude comment. Silver seems to be involved with Team Rocket as well and it will be interesting to see how his story develops.
DeathGoblin chapter 4 . 10/4/2013
Zero seems like he could be interesting, but aside from knowing his backstory, I never got a sense of how we he knew JT. If the two had some kind of jargon between them or if he could predict what his trainer would say or do next it would give that impression.
As for Lyra, her development was better. I got the impression that she wants JT to open up to her more. They are friends, but it doesn't seem like they're best friends.

The battle with hoothoot was well done, though again, Zero never gave off the impression of a more experienced pokemon. On a side not, it would be interesting to see how he evolved.
DeathGoblin chapter 3 . 10/2/2013
It seems strange that Team Rocket wouldn't show interest in New Bark town considering that Professor Elm gets rare pokemon and is researching pokemon evolution. Still, I like where the plot is going and characters seem alright too.