Reviews for Home Beyond the Sky
HopefulHelpful chapter 1 . 2/13
This one made me cry... But amazing job! I loved all three in this trilogy!
ZScalantian chapter 1 . 9/29/2014
This is a combined review for Islands Like Glass Towers, The Locked Room, and Home Beyond the Sky. This entire triptych is beautifully written, on a really original subject - a gem among fanfics. It has great characterization for all the characters. Taro and Emi, Lana and Hoku are really believable as the parents of those doofy kids, and the elaboration on Destiny Islands' culture is perfect. When I picture the environment Sora et al. grew up in, this feels like the most natural portrayal I've ever seen in fanfic. I kind of want to live there! It's especially nice to see that Riku's parents aren't abusive or neglectful - a common fanon portrayal that has never rung true to me.

The Locked Room is frickin' harrowing. Without being in any way a horror story, and even knowing what was really up, my nerves and my sympathy are stretched taut while reading it.

I love the scene with Emi and Sora bragging about his scars. I love Mickey asking Hoku to forgive Riku, no matter what. I love Emi and Taro's date at the South Cliffs, I love Riku's birthday party, I love absolutely every scene involving Kairi. Cecil and Rosa's cameos delighted me - although I did think it odd that Rosa, as a white mage, wasn't the doctor, but you did a great job writing Cecil in that role, so it all worked out. I'd have loved to see a little more of the mayor and his reaction to Kairi's disappearance, but that's a really minor quibble.

All in all, a fabulous trilogy, and my personal favorites of all your group's many fine works.
Twilight Blade X chapter 1 . 3/21/2014
This was an interesting story while it lasted.
Kasan Soulblade chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
This, like it's companions piece "the locked room" is both sweet and sad. You've got an awful situation, a child going off to war in this one, told from the perspective of those left behind. In the pervious piece you have an equally jarring piece where two parents fight to recall and live with the fact that they have a son, a son they can't remember. The reactions of both are realistic, neither over dramatized or understated, and for that I thank you.

No one I've seen on this site explores the magnitude of the throwaway comment that Sora had been "forgotten" Not even the creators. And that's a shame, because as you've shown with both works there is something to say, and show with that scenario. The same goes with the core thoght behind this tale "home beyond the sky", there is something to say of a homecoming that is not. And the ramifications of both are bittersweet.
Do a Barrel Roll chapter 1 . 4/12/2011
Wow. That was great!
natcat5 chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
Wow. I don't know why this doesnt have reviews. It's quite well done, especially as you were describing some of the quirks that Sora picked up, like sleeping on the floor. I also really liked the scene with his scars. And my gave part was probably when Mickey asked Rikus Dad to promise to forgive him. I really did enjoy this fic. It was a very good read.