Reviews for The Talk
DOB16 chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
I LOVE IT
TurboWiz70 chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Speechless. I am completely speechless. I was actually a bit sad to see that I had reached the end, but I'll survive somehow. Haha. Great job, as always :D

Love Turbo
Guest chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
I've read this like 10 times and every time I do I get like shrills or whatever you call it. Amazing, really. :D 3
heidipoo chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
i really liked it.. it was intense but also kinda fluffy
legitdegrassi chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Aww this should be continued:((
EmandEms chapter 1 . 6/3/2011
I still can't get over how much I love this one.
tottie18 chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
omg it should be longer super sexy
ThatCoolKidSpardel chapter 1 . 1/20/2011
This is excellent! Very in character, very sweet, very...just great I guess lol? Loved it, favoriting you and this story, you have talent!:)
ArentYouSophiaLoren-8887 chapter 1 . 1/6/2011
I know I told you how much I loved this story already, but I just thought I would leave you a word or two to tell you how much I REALLY loved it, because I just reread it and was pretty blown away all over again like it was my first time reading it.

The details in this story just kill me. They're...SO...wow. You are amazing at creating the situation and the entire ambiance of the story. I don't know any other writers that can do that (I take my tips from YOU, btw. I learned a lot from reading your stuff...and creeping into your twitter convos hehehehe)

I loved how you were able to work a pregnancy scare btwn. Eli and Julia without making it a cliche. That has become THE most overused cliche in fandom nowadays "oh she was pregnant and I killed her AND my baby" and even when the writers do it in a good way it's still a cliche, but you made it NOT so. Whoa. That's power.

And I loved how it was hard for him to talk about it, too, because it was still hard to talk about Julia during the dinner scene at the steakhouse in Umbrella, and some memories you just can't deal with or relive, even nearly two years later.

The argument scene- spot on. I really don't know what else to say. It was just...so real, and so good that I feel like you could have scripted it for the show.

The whole thing with K.C. was to me the highlight of the story. We never saw them do anything in the show except kissing, but that doesn't mean they never did, because we didn't see Kenna having sex but hey look where they are now. Anyways that whole scene- from the circumstances surrounding it to what Clare was feeling as it happened and how K.C. appeared through her eyes and her insight to his personality- was all so realistic that I can honestly imagine her doing this, even though we never saw anything but "Perfect Purity Ring Clare" when she was with K.C. You also get bonus points for making K.C. a frustrated, horny, bit of a douchy teenage boy and not some raping sex fiend, yay you again from saving me from Fanfiction Cliche #14 (LOL)

I LOVED how hard it was for Clare to talk about this, and how filled with shame she still is at the memory of it, and how it still affects how she views intimacy. You linked her and Eli's complicated feelings towards intimacy and sexual expression SO beautifully, really, I just don't have any better words than that. Really this is just wonderful, sorry it took me this long to get around to finally leaving you a glowing review. Much love for this piece.

Oh, and I also wanted to point out the same details Sarenka did, but I didn't want to sound redundant, so just know it does "ditto" for me

(and sidebar- that "that's the way it's gotta be"...PERFECT Eli line in so many ways, and his delivery was perfection. They really nail his voice. Well, I mean, duh, they write FOR him and created him, but still...the consistency in his tone is impressive, considering how sporadic they tend to be and how irregular and confusing some characters can be)
Sarenka222 chapter 1 . 12/26/2010
Alright, so I kept you waiting for quite a bit. I’m sorry. I would have written it much sooner, internet access permitting. It’s just that my friend’s apartment in Krakow, though delightful, is severely lacking in two departments: adequate heating, and accessible internet. Anyway, here I am.

I think you know already that I loved it, because I told you I’d read it like four times (it’s closer to seven or eight, now). It just feels so right. It made me really happy.

This is a bit strange, but I’ll start off with what little criticism I have. That way, I can get it out of the way and move on to all the stuff I thought was just WONDERFUL. So. I think in a few sections your transitions were a bit clumsy: for example, the passage about Eli having to get up to make sure he didn’t hit Clare, there were too many ‘but’s. The other thing I’d say is that some of the inner monologues – for lack of a better phrase (I mean the parts where we’re in either Eli or Clare’s thoughts) – were a bit too expository. I know that’s really hard to avoid. It’s difficult to strike a balance between narration and natural stream of thought. But, yeah…. Anyway…. On to things I loved….

Well, as always, there were just little details that really got to me… the chipped nailpolish on Clare’s thumb, the reflection of Randall’s solitaire game in the window, Clare not trusting her voice when they first start to talk things through …. I love that you take the time to build your scenes with such care.

I think, also, that you kept them in character really, really well – and the backstories you made for each of them with this issue just felt very … I guess … true.

I know you were initially worried about how angry they were, when you started writing. But I actually think it was great. First of all, we’ve talked about how much we both liked the “It’s not my favorite thing” line from Umbrella – and I think Eli’s initial frustration and annoyance here were very much in the vein of that line from the show: we can still see he’s a really wonderful, patient guy… but he’s also human, and experiences some of the feelings you would naturally expect from a teenage boy in this situation. What’s more, I think a good fight between Eli and Clare makes the loving moments all the better – because we see that they’re not perfect … which makes them more real and believable. And this was definitely a good fight. As the reader, you could just feel things getting tenser and tenser with every line – each time one of them spoke you braced yourself, knowing that the other was going to take it in the worst possible way … and respond with exactly the thing they shouldn’t say. My heart absolutely dropped when Eli said the thing about the love of his life not living to see her fifteenth birthday (actually, I thought that was much more hurtful than the “fuck you” – I was sort of surprised that Clare just brushed it off: it kind of seemed to imply that Clare could never be as important to him as Julia was). You could feel them just digging themselves deeper and deeper in, in a way that seemed very genuine. … Which made it all the more heart warming to watch them then work it out.

And then, the talk itself was exactly what I had hoped for… so serious, and honest, and mature. You did a great job of making Eli caring and concerned, given Clare’s lack of experience, without making him patronizing or condescending. And like I said, I loved the backstories you built.

I was surprised that Eli had only kissed two girls in his life but I really liked that. Somehow it balanced things out a bit. I don’t know how to explain what I mean there, but it just made him experienced but still somehow reserved in a way that matches Clare’s temperament. I don’t think I’m making myself clear, but it’s past midnight here and I’m tired…. I also liked that you addressed how young he was (again, I’m reminded of some Twitter discussions about this matter). You dealt with the issue very gracefully. The way Eli explained their relationship it made it seem very natural that things worked out that way – even if they were quite young to be so serious.

The part where Clare asked him what it was like and he asked whether he was really the person he wanted to hear it from was so poignant. And his ultimate response was very moving.

The little abortion digression was also really great. A really important thing for them to touch on, that I somehow hadn’t even really thought of….

As for Clare, I really enjoyed the story about how she got the purity ring … the pressure from other families in her church. It just made the ring so much more complex. And the KC part of the story was another one of those “fresh but inevitable” moments. I especially liked that we learned about from Eli’s point of view – and got to see him have to resolve his own feelings that this was much less of a big deal than what he was expecting her to say, with the understanding that it had still been something really upsetting and heartbreaking for Clare.

And then the end was just lovely. I think a lesser fanfic writer would have had Clare suddenly feel ready to get completely physical with Eli. I loved that you had them make significant progress, but still tempered it with Clare’s sentiment that she didn’t have to do everything in one night just because she now trusted Eli. Also, I really liked her musings on how Eli’s way of touching her was so different from KC’s. … Um, I think I had more to say about the ending but I’m getting really tired and coherent sentences are proving difficult to produce. So I think I might wrap up. I’m sorry I made you wait so long for this review, but I hope that you can see from it that I truly loved the story and I really appreciate you taking the time to write it.
nyilaa chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
this just made me love Eli 4378291 times more (as if that were possible)
SuddenlyStarfruit chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
This was adorable! I think you really captured why it is Clare and Eli connect so well. 3
WhitneySalvatore chapter 1 . 12/20/2010
This was fantastic. I definitely think more couples should have these conversations before they get...involved.
PavedWithBadIntentions chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
Oh my heavens. This is was fantastic. You may not write some kissing scenes and such in depth as you say, but it works fantastically with your style nonetheless and I feel like your version of the story always clarifies the plot much better than Degrassi does most of the time...
Ambiguous21 chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
I loved this. It was so sweet.