Reviews for Settling Dust
Rivergift chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
This is really beautiful! :') I never really gave much thought to Dustfinger and Resa as a pair, but you're right - those ten years must count for something, and that something can never be erased completely. I love the wistful feeling you've woven into this, the regret and the hesitation and the love - it's amazing. And like a few other reviewers, I must say I love this line:

Beautiful!
Goldencity chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
Oh, wow. That was beautiful, truly beautiful. I completely love it. It's just...perfect. It was very well written and eloquent.

I really love these lines:

They are both broken and alone, and maybe that is why they draw together, their agony tasting sweet on each other's lips, their pain shared and given in doubles and halves, and though their thoughts are still filled with honour and loyalty and I'm sorry, Mo, I don't want this, Roxane, but in the end all that matters is the other.

The fire dances with him, and the bird flies with her. They love in the solace of flames and flight, and maybe this is all for the better. And the memories and the darkness and the salt of blood and tears on another's lips are put aside, because they sleep by someone else at night and their kisses are for another.

It all flowed so beautifully. (I know I keep using that word, but that's the best way to describe this.) Thanks for writing this, I enjoyed reading it.
Tassel630 chapter 1 . 3/14/2011
Wow. Lovely writing. I'm assuming you took the words-on-her-face thing from the movie? It's not in the book, but I thought it added to the story, so I won't complain. I liked that you didn't pair them, exactly - just pointed out that they can't just go back to everything exactly how it was. Realistic and beautiful, and I loved the "dust to settle" line - appropriate, plus the tie-in with his name. Fantastic portrayal of their relationship.
Admiral von Cha-Cha chapter 1 . 1/2/2011
I really enjoyed reading your story! Though sad, the imagery was lovely, and very evocative :) Great work (especially for your first time in the Inkheart fandom!).
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
Oh Wow, that was really, really good. First, I would like to say that your use of language is stunning, absolutely stunning and very poetical, which I'm guessing was your intent, since you successfully used poetical devices, such as alliteration. The alliteration and the grouping of words into threes in the beginning was beautiful. Really, I can't emphasize how beautiful I found the entire piece. Your sentences flow elegantly. I liked these sentences in particular, both for the way they sound and for their content:

"They find each other in the darkest places, their hands pressed through bars, around handcuffs. Their passion is tainted by guilt and anger, and the knowledge of how quickly they would abandon each other, should they be offered what they once had."

Not only is this an example of your elegant, flowing sentences, but it also shows their characters strongly. It is both beautiful and bitter, two attributes, I think, for the whole story of Dustfinger and Resa.

Which brings me to my second point...I've seen a lot of "Dustfinger and Resa meeting" stories, but this was different. It showed an aspect of their stories, the mingled bitterness and love, that is obviously there in the books, but is often left out of fanfics. I liked how you pointed out several times that they both know it can't last, that they'll abandon each other in a heart-beat. I really liked the part about his name being written on her brow - that was an interesting and insightful touch.

Also, the two last glimpses of them, from Inkspell and Inkdeath, were an excellent ending, showing that their story isn't necessarily going to end with the books, and that there's always going to be a connection between them, even if they are seperated.

The only constructive criticism I have to offer is that I think you have left a word out of one sentence. Usually, I am not that nit-picky, but I feel that an important word is missing and I really want to know what it is.

"That night, she watches from under her eyelids and through Mo's forearms as her silently takes the book..."

Her what? What is the word here that she would use to describe Dustfinger. I am very curious.

I enjoyed reading this, and I have a feeling that in the future, I will definately be checking out so more of your work. Until then, great work and keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur

P.S. I have a C2 of stories about Dustfinger and Resa. May I add your story to it?
Anonymous chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
This was beautiful. I'm not actually a supporter of the Dustfinger/Resa pairing, but you made me believe in it. I love how you didn't go all dramatic and change the plot to include lots of melodrama and revelations about betrayal and such, and actually stuck to the plot, and yet segued in the romance between them. Amazing.