Reviews for Kiss From a Rose
jensteed chapter 22 . 2/6
I really can't stand Minerva in this field! She's usually a strong favourite but that's what I love about reading so many different authors, discovering all the characters in new and different ways. It's fantastic!
Poor Neville, he's so sweet and it's awful to see him suffering so :(
jensteed chapter 19 . 2/6
This is a really intriguing story, especially since it's so long. I'm dying to see where it goes!
And is it just me or is Harry reminding me just a tiny (very teeny)bit of a young Severus? Lost love, bitter and unable to get over it, acting kind of like a douche etc, lol ;)
TooLazyToLogin chapter 200 . 12/1/2014
Amazing amazing plot! I've been tempted to review quite a lot of times because the twists were really great. I, however,waited til I'm through reading the whole of it just because I'm not the type to stop reading an excellent story.
And was it excellent! I've read a lot of ss/hg fic and I could honestly say that this is one of the well-thought and well-written ones.
Oh...and just so you know my favorite parts are the father/daughter interaction between Rose and Severus. They were really brilliant. It felt right to make out Severus as an endearing father.
Thank you for this beautiful story. I enjoyed it very much!
BlueWater5 chapter 200 . 11/19/2014
Great story!
BlueWater5 chapter 141 . 11/19/2014
Great fairy tale!
Guest chapter 89 . 8/22/2014
This is a great story and I really love it! However, I don't know if I can stand another moment interrupted and there is another 100 chapters to go!
beargirl1393 chapter 200 . 8/15/2014
This was an excellent story, I loved it! Did you ever consider putting it on AO3?
HanableKing28 chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
sound like things are going to get interesting
Guest in Europe chapter 200 . 6/24/2014
I like your stories... the right amount of suspense but not gratuitous cruelty and gore. This was an excellent tale. Even the unexpected death(s) and rather OOC Gryffindor contingent seemed plausible the way you set it up.

Trelweny Rosephoenixwolf chapter 200 . 5/3/2014
Fascinating. I loved the baby thoughts especially. I'm impressed with the role you gave Neville too. Of course the way you managed Severus and Hermione was wonderful; I really liked how they came together.

Thanks for writing.
Mouse again chapter 1 . 4/4/2014
Sensational, moving, astounding, original... I don't know how best to describe it, and I applaud you! (things are about to get lengthy)

There was just so much about this fic that made me think for sure I wouldn't like it, and which, funnily enough, was the cause of my long, long delay in reading it. Namely:
1) - the "after-the-war" plot

I'll go in order.
(1) The natural course after reading a book, especially in a series, is finding yourself faced with the question of "what happened next?" So, naturally, "after-the-war" fanfictions are out there. A lot of them. However, because the war is over, the main plot of these sequel-like stories will almost always be based on romance and married life (if you want an example, watch pretty much any Disney sequel).
I tire of these plots really, REALLY quickly. Besides, in ATW HP romances, especially with ML as a plot, it seems that over time the characters learn to find affinity with each others' bodies rather than with their selves. Because of the singular romance plot, the lovey-dovey moments (aka the entire fic) get old fast. That’s why, for me, there always needs to be something happening to make the romantic moments treats to savor. Some people try to rectify this with the next plot device…
(2) Voldemort was a great villain. He had his flaws of course, but he complemented his nemesis well to drive home one of the biggest themes in Harry Potter: that love conquers all. Because of his symbolism, I don’t really like it when people bring him back for the sake of a sub-plot. Again. It just seems unnecessary (been there, done that already), and it ruins the finality of the second war for me. But what I don’t like even more is when people bring back a death eater (usually a Lestrange) and have him/her do the exact things Voldemort did, or exact revenge for their former leader. And you know what irritates me? There is literally nothing new! I might as well be reading DH with non-canon pairings and less action/continuity! And to top it all off, the characters’ react as if this new main villain is as bad, if not worse, as Voldemort!
But you… you did something different. You created a serious threat out of a villain that in almost all fics just terrorized things on his own. This villain actually had a plan to that was revealed throughout the work. You completely revamped Fenrir Greyback’s character, distinguishing him and his followers an independent force from Voldemort, and gave him his own philosophy. The fact that an animal lives in the moment is believable, and agrees with him. Furthermore, I love that he doesn’t use the hollows, he doesn’t have any other special powers of the author’s creation, he’s careful not to repeat mistakes… He’s entirely in character and its original! There were times in the book where I felt like joining. I mean come on, if he can teach you how to control that wolf form, than what really is bad about being a werewolf? After all, “if everyone else is, no one will care.”
(3) Ah, the cure for lycanthropy. In the books it says that there is no absolute cure for lycanthropy, and it’s doubtful there will ever be one. So how come in so many, many fanfictions there is someone – almost always a student, be it Hermione, sue!Harry, or your overage OC – who just so happens to create a cure in their spare time? The best Severus Snape, a potions master, could create was Wolfsbane. He’s shown to be a potions genius, and has more than enough incentive to cure lycanthropy thanks to a certain encounter in his schooldays, but he hasn't don't it. This cure is obviously near-impossible to create; why is it that this student just miraculously happens to think of the ONE key ingredient/procedure that has escaped countless potions experts in the field? Why are they always right on the first try?!
To top it off, there is no real reason to make this cure! It’s either an academic challenge, or “we want to make Remus happy.” Finding a cure for cancer/HIV is not just some academic challenge, now is it? And Lupin doesn’t NEED a cure, he’s gotten by since he was a child. To put it simply, there is no demand. But in your fic, there is an obvious demand: a werewolf apocalypse is on the horizon, where they plan to consciously use their wolf-forms to take over. Since the wolfsbane is rendered useless since the werewolves are now consciously making this choice, the wizarding world needed a cure STAT. This is the same demand and pressure that allowed an 11-17 year old boy and his friends to do the impossible, the reason why the characters in this fic could do their version of overcoming the impossible by making that potion. (Plus I loved how the lycanthropy cure was actually an experimental process, with numerous deadends and setbacks that made sense, and the fact that they were muggle suggestions adds plausibility as to why the cure wasn’t discovered before. Kudos to you!)
(4) Two words that scare the stuffing out of me with forced-marriages: Marriage Law. Even though yours was not a ML, I think the reason why this distant relative of it worked was you allowed them mutual agreement for the marriage, even if it was just a business deal in the beginning, and kept out all the “I can’t believe I’m forced to marry you” drama. (because really, deep down, everyone knows the ML is a quick-fix plot device to force two usually extremely unlikely characters together so the author can jump right to the “relationship.” And you know what? It shows, and I am so glad yours didn’t resemble the ML at all, besides being a somewhat-forced marriage) **by the way, I like that you didn’t just pair people up (Ginny and Draco) so that everyone has a match**
(5) When characters, especially main characters, die, there better be a good reason. It better not be to make way for a non-canon ship or a “new hero,” and when this character does die, it should leave a lasting impression that is somehow forgotten in five chapters. And off all the characters to kill off, you kill off Harry Potter.
To me, you pulled it off splendidly. It wasn’t a valiant duel, worthy of a hero’s defeat in battle. You had him ambushed and killed with the killing curse, of all things. Hermione’s eulology nearly had me in tears, because it’s almost sickeningly horrifying that Harry Potter might have wanted what the Dursley’s wanted most of all, normality (even though the Dursleys are far from normal), considering all he has ever been to many people was either a freak or a messiah. And lastly, what broke my heart was that even though Harry finally found that all-encompassing love, he never quite found it on earth.

(again, sorry if this is so long… and I apologize for a repeat review. It accidentally sent while I was writing…)
Anon A Mouse 2 chapter 200 . 4/4/2014

1) - the "after-the-war" plot device

I'll go in order.

Anon A Mouse chapter 200 . 4/4/2014

1) - the "after-the-war" plot device
5) - the killing of Harry Potter

I'll go in order. (1) The natural course after reading a book, especially in a series, is finding yourself faced with the question of "what happened next?" So, naturally, "after-the-war" fanfictions are out there. A lot of them. However, because the war is over, the main plot will almost always be adult-romance and married life. I tire of these type of romances really, REALLY quickl
Smithback chapter 200 . 2/12/2014
this is the largest story on ff that I have read... an d I enjoied every chapter.
TheLadyJaye chapter 200 . 12/17/2013
Longest fanfic ever but omg, I could not stop reading! This was delightful and wonderful!
2,058 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »