Reviews for The Man Named Klink
Frau Wilhelm Klink chapter 11 . 1/25/2020
I like this so far! But just so you know, the word is 'shuddered' not 'shuttered'. Also, the catchphrase was "I will surround this camp with a ring of steel" not "I will encircle the camp with a ring of iron".
Frau Wilhelm Klink chapter 8 . 1/24/2020
Really? Did you HAVE to put the mental images of Burkhalter having sex and Hochstetter wearing ladies' undergarments in my head? Thanks a heap...now I need brain bleach.
Visage chapter 16 . 3/16/2017
This was absolutely captivating, a fantastic story with such a great narrative voice. Not only did you tell a great story, but you gave such a great backstory to our favorite Head Kraut, it actually made me sympathetic towards him! (Prequels are some of my favorite kinds of stories. I just love background information on how our favorite characters became ...well... themselves. This did NOT disappoint. If anything it exceeded expectations!). I especially liked how you gave us Klink's view of everyone when he first met them. It was a neat tidbit!
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This was absolutely wonderful.
cimmer chapter 16 . 12/24/2015
This was wonderful. I feel so sorry for Klink, what a hellish life for such a sensitive guy. A cold and domineering father, a distance mother. The only family who truly loved him, dead, and he's blaming himself for it. (What happened to his little brother?) A too young man leading too you men into battle in WW1. No respect, no caring. His best friend dead so no protection. The woman he loves, a bitch (but he got a hell of nice kid out of it and a cute one too). And then tortured and reviled by others and himself because he visited a friend. And he's desperately trying to hold onto his humanity and he's not even getting any props for that from anyone, although Kinch seems to be one of the few people who recognized who Klink really is, and he recognized it long before Hogan. I liked the scene of Schultz patting LeBeau on the head and I'm also so happy that Karl seems to like Klink. Karl too must have an interesting story. I hope Klink ends up having a good life after the war, he really deserves it. Thanks for the story.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/16/2015
This is a great story. Have now read it through from start to finish and found it very touching and good characterization.
Thanks very much
AmethystSiri chapter 2 . 3/9/2015
Can barely see for the tears... beautiful and heartbreaking
Pockets chapter 16 . 11/16/2014
I just discovered this gem while looking for something else. I like how you portray Klink, you've given him a backstory that is plausable and believeable. I also like how you weave the timelines all together so that the story flowed - the technique worked without being jarring. Thanks for writing!
SaraiEsq chapter 16 . 10/6/2014
(claps wildly) Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
SaraiEsq chapter 6 . 10/6/2014
You write a compelling history.
SaraiEsq chapter 4 . 10/6/2014
Nice turn at the end. Very nicely written.
SaraiEsq chapter 2 . 10/6/2014
Wow. Just ... wow.
Grouper chapter 16 . 9/22/2013
Loved the story but would like to drop in a correction. By M40 submachine gun, I think you meant the Mp-40 (Maschinenpistole), a submachine gun used extensively by German forces during WWII. In fact, as far as my research shows, there has only ever been one gun of any type (rifle, pistol, or SMG) anywhere in the world that was ever designated M40. That would be a bolt-action sniper rfile used by US Marines and Special Forces during and after the Vietnam War.
Nomad1 chapter 16 . 9/4/2012
Nice to read a fic digging into some of the contradictions surrounding Klink. There's an intriguing contrast between the man as he's presented and the accomplishments he must have in his background. It seems almost as if he must be the sort of person who transforms under pressure, and yet he never demonstrates that in the series. I definitely wonder about the nature of his experiences in World War I.

I liked the nod to Rat Patrol, too - although now you've left me itching to see that relationship explored in fanfic form...
SeenaC chapter 16 . 2/21/2012
Wow! I am in awe of this story!

You draw a complete portrait of a deeply wounded man who somehow manages to maintain a strength of character and dignity, in spite of all efforts to strip both away.

This story was deeply moving to me. Thank you for bringing this into the world.
konarciq chapter 16 . 12/12/2011
A grand story in the worthy tradition of explaining Klink. For its depth and well-thought-out-ness, certainly up there with the acclaimed masterpieces along the same lines.

Both Klink and Hogan are explained in a believable manner, well within the series' parameters, and without making either of them excessively likeable or unlikeable.

The only thing I would really recommend is to have this story checked by a good betareader for typos and spelling mistakes. There are quite a lot, to the point that it gets occasionally distracting. And that is a shame, for this is truly a magnificent piece of work that should deserve nothing but praise.

But all in all, I can only say that my hat is off to you, Jinzle. Well done!