Reviews for Froeliche Weinachten
SaraiEsq chapter 2 . 9/7/2014
Sehr gut.
CaraLee934 chapter 2 . 4/9/2014
You did bring tears to my eyes with this.
It's beautiful and heartbreaking.
CaraLee934 chapter 1 . 4/9/2014
Rounder than Schultz? Is that even possible?
(We do so love our Schultz!)
Goldleaf83 chapter 3 . 1/29/2012
What a wonderful story: emotional, yet restrained, catching the ambiguities of fraternization between people of opposing sides as they rub shoulders daily. I chuckled at the description of the Christmas tree in Chapter 1 ("Rounder than Sgt. Schultz"!). Chapter 2 was very touching: I've read about the Christmas truces, and Schultz's description perfectly fits what I know. The last paragraph of the story, about Fritz, was the best part, though: such irony makes that chapter so very memorable. Chapter 3 is also exceptionally well done in its portrayal of Klink, and his and Hogan's memories of Christmases past contrasted with their much bleaker present. The resolution about dinner is just the right cap to this story. I wasn't reading much when this came out, but I'm very glad I found it now.
animefreak2015 chapter 3 . 10/8/2011
Awwww ... so nicely done. I'd heard about the Christmas during world war I. My dad was in Germany from 42-45. He spent a christmas with his platoon at one end of town and a german one at the other. The firing was very desultory over Christmas. This brings back memories of his talking about it.
konarciq chapter 3 . 5/10/2011
funny... i do remember reading the 2nd chapter, but not the 1st...

ill say it again: the second chapter all by itself i powerful. a real jewel.

but to be honest, im not sure how the other two fit in. there seems to be some discrepancy between the people of hamelburgs food situation and the situation in camp. that late in the war (you mention next year being 1945), times were very black, food was extremely scarce and the german people were on the verge of a winter of starvation. whats there to go shopping for 3 weeks when the shops are empty? and if they even could get hold of flour and butter and sugar etc, wouldnt they make something more filling out of it instead of pfeffernüsse? (not that i dont like them, but when food is scarce, it wouldnt be the first thing id want to make - even if it is christmas.)

the last chapter has some nice sentiments (i really like how you picture hogans change of mind), but seems to consist mostly of an enumeration of their respective christmas traditions. they barely react to what the other says - its like theyre just musing by themselves, without any real dialogue. for a conversation, that is rather unnatural, i think.

i hope youre not discouraged by these comments, for your writing style is pleasant to read, and you have a good grasp of the characters. its just that i wonder why you would want to add two chapters of somewhat random christmas fluff to the extremely powerful story of your second chapter. imo, it really didnt need anything else.
ScienceofDeduction22 chapter 3 . 1/12/2011
Aww, you were making my mouth water with all that good food. (It is true that Germans have alot of food on holidays...trust me, I can't eat for a day after my family gets done.) This was a great chapter. Please keep it up. CHeers!
last1stnding chapter 3 . 1/11/2011
I really enjoyed this story. Very nice and appropiately Christmas atmosphere to set the scene. A really nice and different view of Klink and Hogan.
sfulton229 chapter 3 . 1/11/2011
So touching! Too bad that Klink's mother couldn't come but getting trapped would not be the way to celebrate. So nice that Klink considers Hogan to be the closest thing he has to a friend on an equal level. Hogan did try to not intrude but you showed how Klink really didn't want to be alone. Those were some lovely past Christmases and some good memories to share. Thank you for this part.
El Gringo Loco chapter 3 . 1/10/2011
Ch 1-3 the personal interchanges make this deceptively powerful story that stirs memories in some of us, touches the heart and breaks it at all the same time. I thank the author for her efforts in bringing it to us.
dust on the wind chapter 3 . 1/10/2011
What a lovely piece of work - gentle and reflective without tipping over into sentimentality. I always like it when an author can bring out the humanity in Klink without losing touch with the character as presented in canon, and I think you did a really good job here.

Many thanks.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 3 . 1/10/2011
Nice bit of camaraderie with the colonels. I can actually picture the two of them wishing each other well, with sincerity.
jodm chapter 3 . 1/10/2011
Beautiful and meaningful story. Thanks so much for posting it!
Lizzi0307 chapter 2 . 1/8/2011
Really nice story. I am glad I could help you with it. I look foward to seeing where it continues to go, and any future stories you have! :D
sfulton229 chapter 2 . 1/8/2011
So touching and so sad; nice to see more of Schultz's past and how war has already hurt him. Lovely story for Christmas. Everyone is getting the holiday spirit. Thank you for the continuation.