Reviews for Amid the Powers and Chances of the World
Julie010588 chapter 49 . 4/16
I've just finished your story. It is beautiful.
Thank you for sharing it.
goldenpuon chapter 41 . 12/28/2014
I really feel for Rowanna and Legolas! In most canon character/OC stories, it seems that the two characters in love shut out the world to a degree or just that the story revolves mostly around them. The opposite seems to be happening here. It seems friends and acquaintances and people are shutting out Rowanna and Legolas out due to superstitions, rumor, and prejudice. This is interesting, deep, and very sad. I glanced briefly at the reviews for the coming chapters and this may be a taste of what is yet to come. It takes a lot for a story to impact me, but I must say you are well on your way to doing that! :)

I also feel Rowanna's pain at being a woman in Middle Earth, being questioned when she wants to do traditionally-masculine activities, (out of custom or otherwise) others insisting on escorting her many places, and of course the jests directed at her regarding a Legolas. I feel that this is often left out or overlooked and reminds me why being a woman of the race of Men may not be so fun.

I definitely feel that Legolas and Rowanna (and myself) didn't think too much of others' opinions and social norms when they first established their friendship and then romance. They both are most certainly experiencing its consequences now and (hopefully) not regretting it. I really hope to see a happy eventual ending because it seems (especially for Rowanna) that both are growing more isolated. If they cannot be together, with Rowanna's name growing ever more soured, the list of people they can turn to (Rowanna most here) starts to grow slim. I hope the Fellowship would defend them if need be! With Aragorn marrying Arwen and also having to adapt to living in a walled city opposed to the wild would I imagine, definitely be able to understand their plight!

You have captured the obstacles, journeys and sorrows of all the characters beautifully! Awesome work!
goldenpuon chapter 38 . 12/27/2014
I greatly enjoyed this chapter! Legolas and Rowanna's sneaking around to spent time with one another was cute, as was the subtle and mischievous way that Legolas was teasing and flirting with Rowanna! The forced bows and balls Ithildis in part ensured made their encounters all the happier and funnier in my opinion. Still, I feel for Rowanna and Legolas in how their duties interfere with spending time together. They are being separated again for many weeks unbeknowst to Aragorn. That does make everything a whole lot more believable and ramps up the drama and emotional stakes. I have seen many cannon character/OC fanfiction where once the characters fall for each other, they have all the time in the world together with very little interference or even interaction with other characters. As always, fantastic job!
goldenpuon chapter 34 . 12/27/2014
As I said in my last review, I really love this story! It is sweet and heart-wrenching and dramatic. Never is there a dull moment! The characters are dynamic and believable. All of this feels very true to Middle Earth! That said, I greatly enjoyed the moment Rowanna and Legolas spent together in the last chapter. Their words to one another were extremely deep and sweet. They most definitely have a strong, genuine connection which feels very natural!

My apologies if this comes off as nitpicky (which it well may be) and if I cause any offense. I have some constructive criticism. This story is far better written than I or I imagine most LOTR fans could write, so please know it has no standing on your story as a whole. I feel that Rowanna's mother shows only mild to moderate concern for what her daughter has endured on her behalf and how she is faring. She of course does express some concern and seems like a very tough woman who may not show much worry, but I find it slightly strange considering how strong her relationship with Rowanna has been shown to be. This may be just me. In case it wasn't though, I thought it might be helpful to point out. :)

I am very fond of Rowanna as a character. Rarely do I read about an OC that I like much or is as well-rounded as Rowanna. Though she gets upset as any person would when she hears tragic news, I must say that her mental resilience is great! Despite all the horrors and trauma she has gone through, she always pulls forward and does not give up hope even when it seems there is little. Her plights and emotions feel like-like and I love how she gets courage and the strength to go on from Legolas's words! You captured the horrors of battle she watched from afar and shed light on an unseen part of the Battle of the Hornburg: what the healers and other people within the walls of Minas Tirith endure as they anxiously waited for the outcome of the battle to be made clear.

Fantastic job! I eagerly continue to read on!
goldenpuon chapter 50 . 12/28/2014
First, thanks for including all the dates and resources you used in creating this story. One does not simply write a story which good and well researched without a lot of time, care, and research just like, "One does not simply walk into Mordor." :) That said, while I am definitely not knowledgeable enough in any way to check your other dates for accuracy.. unless I am mistaken or poor Miranna carried Rowanna for over 6 years before she was born, I think there is an error in Rowanna's birth year. Rowanna's birthdate is shown as TA 2998 here and her father's death as being in TA 2992. That said, great story and use of research!
goldenpuon chapter 49 . 12/28/2014
My prediction was right. My heart is broken again! Gah! What a sweet and sad ending! I feel so bad for both of them, though it was inevitable, that Rowanna now lays alone in the ground... to the end of the world, and Legolas in Valinor. Nearly all of our favorite LOTR characters gone too. :'( Except Gimli! Long live Gimli, son of Gl'oin, son of Gr'oin! :D :P

A marvelous, marvelous story! You should be proud! You have stuck completely to canon (with the only exception being of Rowanna's existence) which is not an easy feat! Also, your amount of research was astounding and welcoming for a person like me new-ish to LOTR. Also, I am very happy you made a sequel with more about the days of Rowanna and Legolas together. That said, though I haven't read that much LOTR fanfiction yet, I suspect this may be the best canon character/OC I WILL read or among the top best! You are an excellent writer and have enjoyed this story immensely. I look forward and hope to read further stories you write for LOTR or otherwise!
goldenpuon chapter 48 . 12/28/2014
I'm so happy for Rowanna and Legolas! I was smiling throughout! Yay! You have now officially healed the hearts of many readers I imagine. *looks at name of next chapter* Oh man, you only let them be officially together once! You truly torment your poor readers!

Humor and happiness aside, this chapter was great, as was the last! The built-up and the talk of chances and fate was fascinating. Also, their moments together in the forest and their talk was deep and very very sweet. You captured very well how romance and love would be like for Elves. I felt that maybe, their decision was a little hasty. But then again, I was the one who saw some sense in what Elrohir brought up to Legolas when I was done being angry with him, so feel free to disregard what I say! lol I feel that to question two people who have been separated for a year that are deeply in love doesn't make sense. Love isn't rationale and to try to explain and analyze it away is not giving it the respect it deserves. That said, you captured the emotion, chemistry, and affection between the characters flawlessly! It was fun to read their differing thoughts of "how to do this" and how everything should be done.

Excellent job! I now go on to have my heart injured anew by reading the next chapter.
goldenpuon chapter 47 . 12/28/2014
I am so happy they are together, or rather in each other's presence again! I felt terrible for both of them before! Though I understood their rationale behind it, due to Rowanna telling him to leave during a time of intense emotion and how they both greatly suffered away from each other, I have to say perhaps they made the wrong decision separating.

Last chapter, I was so happy when Sam brought Aragorn the news... until Rowanna fled. If both of them keep running or holding off from love out of fear of what others say and the repercussions, Rowanna may well waste precious years of her life suffering and doubting what could have been (not that there's a clear answer on what they both should do). But what if Rowanna stayed with Legolas until she died and then Legolas sailed to Valinor? Still, getting involved with Legolas may well have been the best, worst, or most changing thing in her life. I wonder what would have happened if Legolas and Rowanna had discussed the inevitable complication sooner in their relationship, if they would have stayed together or if things would still have gotten out of hand eventually?

That said, your characterization continues to be excellent and the plot intriguing! I also greatly liked how you gave an exclamation of how the Orcs soiled and dirtied lands they used- which I had wondered about. I wonder if the orcs' mining is cannon?
goldenpuon chapter 44 . 12/28/2014
The last chapter 43 really really split my heart! Elrohir, I was very angry and very sad about what he did! When Rowanna murmured something about wanting to kill him (not literally of course), I swear I felt the same way! The pain... Wow! That was so cruel! However, after thinking about it a while, I think that Elrohir did, as much as I hate to admit it, that he did the right thing explaining the pain and problems with Men and Elves being together. But gawd, he and Elladen did so in totally, COMPLETELY the wrong way! They should have explained to Rowanna and then Legolas separately everything and then gotten them together to discuss it. They just increased Rowanna and Legolas's pain sevenfold.

And in this chapter, oh man... This is so sad! The song, the heartbreak. I really hope Sam gets involved and helps them both! They may not fully understand the stakes involved in the romance, but Legolas and Rowanna need someone to support them, or at least understand them! I really hope there is a way for them to be together, despite the harsh realities!

Great (and tragic) job as usual! :D
goldenpuon chapter 22 . 12/25/2014
My goodness! I adore this story! I am newly into and fascinated by LOTR and was stunned by the research you put into this- the times, places, translations, history. As a person who loves learning, I greatly enjoyed the references and appreciated the many hours you must have put into research! What's more, I do not think I have ever read a fanfic with such a well-developed OC! She fits right into Middle Earth, has a incredibly believable backstory, and NOTHING feels forced. Her friendship (and I'm assuming later more based on the story's description) with Legolas is natural and very believable. Despite having lived a span of many lives of mortal men, I feel that as Legolas made friends with Gimli fast canonically and is broadening his horizons by joining a fellowship composed on many Middle Earth races, it very much makes sense that he'd be receptive to a friendship with a mortal woman. I have also greatly enjoyed the depth you gave Legolas with his doubts and own struggles.

On the topic of struggles, with how the other characters at times judge and question Rowanna for her ancestory and horse trainer profession (a fairly uncommon, but not definitely outlandish job for a woman in Middle Earth I'd imagine), you've created an extremely likable and relatable character. Rowanna has many obstacles before her and they all extremely well thought-out and plausible. I also like that despite what I believe is a growing affection between herself and Legolas, she is more concerned for the well-being family and people than joining the Fellowship, which I feel is very refreshing (and unusual) for an OC.

I am thoroughly in love with this story and hope you continue to write more stories set in Middle Earth! Bravo!
Maranae chapter 49 . 12/16/2014
This story is wonderful. It is by far my favorite. I stayed up way too late many a night, not even noticing I had clicked the next chapter button. On other nights I wouldn't read it at all because I wanted to daydream and savor and not have the story end too soon. Legolas is drawn perfectly - delicate, strong, beautiful, and a little different than other elves. Rowanna is also a beautifully drawn and believable character. And I love how this story fits perfectly into the empty spots in the books without feeling forced. Beautiful. I will be seeking more by Azalais.
Katie Moon chapter 51 . 12/4/2014
This story was beautiful and bittersweet and I am altogether better for having read it. Thank you for such a diligent and poetic story; it was truly wonderful.
Raider-K chapter 48 . 6/21/2014
I have just read your story all the way through and have returned to read this chapter just one more time (because the actual ending was just a little too sad for me-however just and poetic).

This story has definitely become one of my all-time favorite Legolas romances, and trust me when I say I've read a great many! I really appreciated your strong attention to detail and canon all the while weaving a story that feels true to Tolkien's world AND original at the same time. Loved it. Loved the romance, loved the angst, loved your characterization of all the canon characters and your OCs.

Thank you. Oh, and I added your story to my c2.
NerdChick101 chapter 8 . 5/31/2014
Elrond is gifted with foresight, your suspicions are correct. You can tell when he tried to send arwen across the sea, and she comes rushing back asking him what he had "seen"
Ely-chan chapter 51 . 5/25/2014
It's the most beautiful and heartbreaking fan fiction I've read in a long looking time. I've no words to express how thankful and moved I'm. I'm happy that I found it. And I hope that these little words mean something to to and hopefully they can make all your hard work worthy (if that's not the weird, I'm sorry, it's not my mother language, but I hope you get the idea)
Hugs and kisses, Ely