Reviews for Ties That Bind
Allie Danger chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
I liked it a lot
Hawki chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
-Again a case of me only being familiar with the book's take on things (and the BBC's live action take, but that's beside the point). I can understand the dichotomy here, that fight scenes are more appealing in film than in books IMO, and Caspian simply asserting control over Gumpus might have seemed anti-climatic. Anyway:

-Notice from the outset that the story is written in present tense. This isn't a criticism however-it did take a few minutes to get used to, but I think it suits the context well, how writing in present tense gives more 'intensity' to the scene. Though...maybe too intense? The visual imagery of swords, arrows, etc., while suited for a battle, seems a bit over the top for four people, only one of which is a human adult, being assailed by slave traders. Still, subjective...well, all of this review point is.

-Notice that Caspian is referred to as being blonde here, despite being black haired in the film. Nothing major, but I couldn’t help but smirk here, considering that he’s blonde in the books, and as I understand, there’s a bit of a debate in fandom as to which hair style is better.

-I notice that here, Edmund and Lucy are still being referred to as king/queen, Just/Valiant, etc. As I recall, another VotDT fic of yours I reviewed used a similar technique, one that I praised. Here however…well, it’s hard to say. I can’t help but feel the use of such terms this time are inappropriate, but only because the context of the story demands it, that for all their deeds in the Golden Age, they’re vulnerable children now. Still, if it was your intent to establish dichotomy here, it’s well done.

-Moving further down, good job conveying the conditions of the slaves and their despair.

-And Eustace is still an obnoxious prick in this story. Instant win.

-Can’t help but feel the ending is a little rushed. It may be due to Edmund’s section-it being short means the following section seems short as well…or something.

-Like the closeness conveyed between Lucy and Edmund at the end. It’s at times like this I feel that the Pevensies being siblings is to the story’s detriment, as it prevents romance and…well, you know…0_0 (don’t judge me!). Still, strong friendship is its own strength and it’s conveyed well here.

-For what it’s worth, I can sympathize with the Internet connection. This story was posted around Christmas of 2010, and at that same time, I was dealing with a dial-up connection at my aunt’s house in New Zealand. Didn’t prevent browsing, but it was practically impossible to upload anything.

-Overall, good story. Not the best VotDT one I’ve read of yours (that belongs to the Edmund/Lucy one-forgot its name ) but still a good read.
jn208505 chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
Another great story! Really liked it! :)
Dovewings.of.Narnia chapter 1 . 2/3/2011
Aw, very cute! I love the bond between Edmund and Lucy, and you did a great job on their protectiveness of one another. :)
Storyseeker chapter 1 . 1/22/2011
Loved your story! I thought you wrote the emotions of the characters excellently, and I loved the scene with Reep and Eustace!
Lachalora chapter 1 . 1/10/2011
Great story, I've always wanted a story about Lucy and Edmund's feeling after being captured. Thanks and keep up the good work!
Stormglass chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
I thought it was so COOL! Especially how you showed the sweetness in the sibling relationship between Edmund and Lucy!
silvanelf chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
I read this story very late last night, so I was too tired to review, but now I must return to tell you how much I loved this! I will definitely check out your other Narnia stories. I adore the books, and the movies rock. :)

You did a really good job of keeping everyone in character, and blending the movieverse with the bookverse. Your writing is great! Totally gripping, and I loved how you portrayed Edmund's and Lucy's brother/sister bond.

The slave fight scene was also one of my favorites from the movie-I was so happy to see a fic for it. :D

Keep on writing! You've got talent.

Happy Holidays!
Eavis chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
Oooh, lovely! Hurrah for Blonde!Caspian! I cheered - right out loud. :)

And the rest - what a skillful blending of bothverse! Well done. It's good to have you back in this fandom!

Lion's Blessing,

Eavis
Autumnia chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
This was a lovely way to meld both book and film canons. I adore not only Queen Lucy the fighter, but her relationship with Edmund as they're torn apart and then reunited. And Reepicheep added a nice bit of humor to the seriousness of the situation.
twiinklestar chapter 1 . 12/24/2010
Awh. This is so cute. I always loved how easily Lucy could forgive Edmund and how close they are. This is beautiful (:
godsdaughter77 chapter 1 . 12/24/2010
Thanks for sharing this! I enjoyed your version and loved how protective Edmund and Lucy were of each other. Wonderful job!