Reviews for Through The Rain
This is so so so so so good oh my goodness you are such an amazing writer! PLEASE write more LOTM stories...or I may die!
EmbryCrumbleCakes chapter 23 . 12/9/2014
*Lets out shaky breath* Omg. I can't even speak coherently right now. I just marathon-read all three of your Last of the Mohicans stories and they were absolutely perfect. Seriously, perect. I rewatch LOM every year because it's one of my favorite movies and Uncas and Alice's tragic-never-to-be-love-story is one of the most upsetting/wonderful/affecting pairings I have ever watched and I keep coming back to it. After watching the movie this past time I was kind of depressed and just wanted a freakin happy ending for them so I decided to look for a fanfic and thankfully stumbled across your trilogy! I don't know how to describe what I was looking for in a story, but this one has EVERY SINGLE THING I could ever want out of an Uncas/Alice fanfic and more. Like how did you read my mind?! Your writing is amazing-tonally, descriptively, and with characterizations that really stay true to the movie. So glad you took the time to share your talents here :) So not to belabor the point, but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for writing this! Seriously made my day/month/life. xoxo Take care!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/4/2014
Amazing job with this story, I read through it all in one day, it was so good. I must admit I did not want it to be over! Great job!
Guest chapter 23 . 9/14/2014
I'm so sad this series is over! I read the whole thing over a weekend and I feel so attached to the story now! Thank you for deciding to write this!
nsudboro chapter 23 . 5/25/2014
Thank you , author, for taking the time to research and recount, in an historically-acceptable manner (I teach history at the International Baccalaureate level) a lovely story. I started reading Part 1 on a Friday night, and could not get out of bed on Saturday until I had read all 3 parts. It was a very enjoyable and engrossing read.

I did want to point out two aspects that, from the standpoint of sociology, psychology, and from personal experience transferring cultures and continents, I found difficult to believe. It distracted me enough, in Parts 2 & 3, that I found myself being repeatedly pulled out of the story and thinking about your choices as an author rather than the character's choices. However, because I enjoyed the experience of your tale so much, I hesitate to mention these reservations, for in my mind it smacks of ingratitude. But, I am assuming that you have posted here because you welcome feedback. So, as a teacher, I feel obliged to give it. Please pardon me, if this is not the kind of feedback you like to receive.

My first concern is this: I do not believe that, in real life, Alice's character would have held so firmly to her need for smart parties, tea and society if she had already gone so far along in her psychological and social transition to choose staying with Uncas in lieu of heading to Albany. Here’s why I believe that:

Unlike in situations of historical Anglo-Americans such as Mary Ingles, finding themselves immersed in aboriginal settings and risked life and limb to escape, Alice is not a captive and had already experienced enough hardship and safety in the care of the small Mohican clan to work out a fundamental shift in her perspective. Alice, like every other human being in her place, would be cognizant that clinging to these new companions equates survival against outrageous odds. What people often call the Stockholm Syndrome, in my opinion, is simply a narrow interpretation of the tremendous survival mechanism that every human psyche possesses. We naturally shift our priorities and allegiances in difficult situations in order to survive and thrive. And these shifts, if uninterrupted, become permanent. Only on occasions in which shifts are interrupted, such as kidnappees who are miraculously rescued, or soldiers who escape combat, are survivors said to have a “syndrome” that needs repairing. However, had they not been removed from their respective challenging environments, they would have naturally continued to function in the manner adopted in order to have the best chance for relative peace of mind. Alice is never dramatically removed from the circumstances of the story. Furthermore, we are told that Alice makes a conscious choice to stay in an aboriginal village over returning to Albany. That is a tremendous decision, given all of the historical and cultural variables at play. At that time, such a decision could never have been made -not even if a person were flippant by nature- if a fundamental worldview shift had not already taken place. Without such a profound internal reboot, her choice would have simply been impossible, historically and culturally speaking. But she does make the choice to stay, and the choice is perfectly believable for all the human adaptation reasons I mentioned previously. But then we are told in Parts 2 & 3 that she is pining for very superficial things in a way that profoundly interferes with her happiness. No amount of cabin fever or youth can account for this incongruence.
At age 13, this born-and-bred American was immersed in a small Quebecois community. It was a harrowing experience filled with non-stop school-wide bullying, my own personal stalker, and absentee parents. Yes, I had vivid dreams of the US almost nightly in those first few months. But from Day One, even though I was not a particularly mature or positive youth, I -in a practical sense- accepted my circumstances and worked within the confines of those conditions. I had to: my time was necessarily consumed with the task of surviving, learning the language, maneuvering each day around getting cornered and humiliated as few times as possible. I never had the luxury of focusing my attentions on what I did not have. I believe that Alice too, would have been thus inclined. I do not believe that it would have occurred to her to waste precious time pining for things that would already seem like a vague memory, not because a long time has passed, but because an intense time has passed. Brushes with death have always been understood to be life-changing experiences, as are cultural immersion, and the loss of parents. The story acknowledges this insomuch as we are shown that Alice has, understandably, decided to remain with family and the people who represent survival for her. And then, inexplicably in Parts 2 & 3, she acts as though this shift has not taken place. This was very hard for me to believe.

Incidentally, I also believe that it would have been impossible for Cora to keep the death of her father a secret at the end of Part 1. The social mores at the time would have dictated disclosure on Cora’s part, once the relative safety of the village were reached. Furthermore, even if she had not disclosed, Alice would have recognized right away that no one was inquiring after her father, once the group had reached the relative safety of the Native village. Officer POWs of such high rank were often allowed to maintain correspondence with family and it would have been the girls’ duty to attempt such arrangements as soon as possible. Alice would have seen the lack of such efforts as an indication of a problem, and would have questioned Cora repeatedly on the subject particularly once Nathaniel began preparing for the trek to Albany. So, the act of obscuring the fact of his death for so long was, in my opinion, an unconvincing trope.

Again, I very much enjoyed the read. It is certainly the most historically accurate and most believable of all of the Mohican fanfics that I have read (and I’ve read quite a few of them). But I know I would have enjoyed it a bit more if the above realities of history and human nature had been taken more into account.
harnicem chapter 23 . 4/18/2014
I just spent the last two days reading all three of these stories. I just loved them!

I haven't seen Last of the Mochicans in quite a while but it was a huge favorite when it came out. I must have seen it at least 15 times or so. You did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of them all with this alternate version of the story.

I discovered you reading your Brienne and Jamie story and I'm so glad I checked out the other things you have written. I am now following you to make sure I don't miss anything else you write.

One of my favorite pairings in GoT is Arya and Jaqen d'har. Have you ever considered writing about them?

Again, I really enjoyed these three stories.
jack29 chapter 11 . 2/11/2014
I couldn't tear myself reading 'Beyond The River', it's really a great job. Very talented!The characters are so real and attractive. Can't wait to read 'Through the rain'.
ForeverSunshine13 chapter 23 . 10/11/2013
Part of me is sad this story is over, because it really was amazing. However, another part of me is glad that it's over, that everything worked out and everyone is happy. You did a great job with these stories. I don't know where you got this idea, but I'm so glad you did. I loved them! This was the perfect ending. I only cried like three times :D I hope that you write more, but if you don't, that's ok because this ending truly is perfect. Kudos to you!

Sunshine
Guest chapter 23 . 6/4/2013
Just found all three of these stories...lovelovelove! Sad that I am done reading them. U are a fantastic writer,
Silence Messiah chapter 23 . 4/24/2013
I have loved this story from the very start, and now that I have read it all, I must say that it has been a real pleasure!
Zihuatanejo chapter 23 . 4/24/2013
Dear SoloWraith, I’m writing to you to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your three LOTM fanfics. In my opinion, they are by far the best in that whole area. To give you an idea of how far my addiction goes; I have had them bonded in a booklet. This makes reading them all the more easier, which I must have done at least over thirty times by now. Pretty pathetic, I know.
Besides me liking the characters of Uncas/Alice and Eric Schweig/Johdi May portraying them so much, I can only blame it on your writing skills and your imagination. You have managed to create a whole new world involving them while staying true to their character. And then your ability to introduce all those different plot lines, such as presenting the wounded British soldier, the Munsee boy, all Uncas’s relatives in the wolf camp. The way you describe how they all live, hunt, eat, dress. It seems so real. The deference of the young regarding the elder (so unlike these days, at least in the country in which I live). You must have done a lot of research. At least, that’s how it feels to me.
I’d wish they would make a new movie based on your script. But then again, it would be nearly impossible to find actors who could match Eric Schweig and Johdi May, let alone surpass them.
Also, I find your choice of words so poetic sometimes. Like where your describe the stream in winter “ looking like a white snake lying dormant”. So visual. Your phrasing of Uncas being able to tracking an abducted Alice by “the brush of the branches against her skirt, the touch of the leaves on her arms and arms”. So beautiful. Uncas, not being able to forget the times Alice had spent under the night skies lying in the crook of his arm while he “had watched the moon’s path as it traced across the sky and danced on her pale skin, had smoothed hair endlessly off her face and tangled his fingers in it”. So romantic. You are so talented.
Besides that, I - like a previous poster - admire your lack in using abject descriptions like how beautiful Uncas and Alice look. It’s obvious they both do, but your restraint in this aspect is admirable.
I also have a question. After writing Into The Forrest you mention somewhere wanting to continue, partly because you had not been able to include a scene which involved an ocean, I think you said. Did you manage to add this in part two? And if so, is it then the scene in which Alice almost freezes after going through the ice and Uncas building them a shelter in the snow? I just wondered.
So. I wanted to thank you for all this and I was kind of hoping I could convince you to start a new story involving Uncas and Alice. In my opinion, there can never be enough. Unfortunately, I lack the talent in writing a story of my own, so I utterly depend on others to do so. It would be so great if you would pick it up once more.
nblkolt chapter 23 . 3/16/2013
I will need to go back and review every chapter of your trilogy, because what I type now will surely not do it justice nor express just how much I adored the story you created.

I recently re-watched Last of the Mohicans because I remember seeing it as a child, but all I could remember about it was that a girl committed suicide and the son was killed. After seeing it again, the context of the ending made a lot more sense, and I was completely entranced by Uncas and Alice's unspoken relationship, however romantic or platonic people choose to interpret it. Anyway, I was so saddened that it ended as it did and was hoping to find something with an alternative ending, and you provided not only that, but a completely fascinating and extremely well-written adventure!

This was beyond what I could have hoped for. I didn't find any of it too cheesy or unbelievable. Everything is so entrancing to read and imagine. I love how you describe the setting, the characters, you gave everyone moments of weakness and room to grow. Their imperfections made the story so alive! It was balanced, and I re-read all three stories twice in a row just because I loved it so much! I, of course, like anyone who has experienced the writing of a talented author and a story that entangles you in the characters will always want more. The epilogue was a nice ending, but in my head, I was filling in the time in between and wished I could find the words to make it so enigmatic as you did!

I just wanted to say I appreciate how much you put into the details of this story and the time it took and everything about it. Thank you for sharing this!
BeforexImxDead chapter 23 . 9/16/2012
Bravo! I have finally and regretfully, finished your trilogy. I have read all three stories in a matter of days, I was so fascinated by them. You have done a most wonderful job of procuring the depth of the emotions I felt between Alice and Uncas throughout all three stories. You also did a wonderful job with Nathaniel and Cora, though they are not my favorite couple. I feel that there was more of a substance between Alice and Uncas in the movie rather than their older siblings, since you could just feel that there was something more between them the whole time without them having to even utter a word to each other. It irks me that there wasn't even the tiniest of romantic scene for the two in the movie, though the ending could be considered so. I believe you told things quite the right way had the movie gone differently and that the struggles between A/U would have probably gone just as you'd wrote. It is sad that there will be no more wonderful reading to continue now that I have finished this but that is your decision. And the ending is wonderfully done, going back full circle to your connecting them with the seasons. It is beautiful to see how much they have all grown into themselves and become such a happy family indeed. So without much further adieu, thank you for such an amazing and beautiful tale of such impassioned lovers.
Liz86000 chapter 23 . 8/27/2012
I've just finished reading your three fics, and they were really good! I loved that movie so much, and I liked to see both paring. I must say though, since I'm more of a Cora/Nathaniel fan, that I would have liked to see more of them... And I also thought that your Cora was a bit too hard, and her & Nathaniel seemed less passionate & in love than in the movie, but well. At least there were some of that paring in your fics, and I won't complain, cause I have a hard time finding Cora & Nathaniel fics...
Anyway, besides that, I absolutely loved your portrayal of Uncas & Alice (though I wanted to yell at her sometimes! *blush*). You did a great job to show their struggle, and their love.
I will forsake the world chapter 23 . 7/13/2012
One of the best stories I have read! I enjoyed all three stories that you have written and cannot wait for further sequels if any in the future... Uncas and Alice's relationship was intense and young. Loved your descriptive language and dialogues! Keep writing.