Reviews for Entranced
TheNotSoTalentedPoet chapter 17 . 8/11/2015
Oh, boy. This is gonna be a massive eyeful. While a part of me is desperately screaming to go back and review this chapter by chapter, there is no real way for me to do so at this point. Knowing how things go would inevitably affect how I word things. So, a good chunk of this will be a bit of a highlight reel of sorts. Anyways, here we go.

Now, one thing about 'Entranced as a whole is how effective a time capsule it is for your writing style and ability as a whole. Through reading the first fifteen chapters, I'm amazed that you not only managed to improve as readily as you did, but that you also kept the tone and feel of the work fairly similar. Oftentimes, when fics take years to write, especially as many as this one has, there tends to be a vast gulf between the writing of the introductory portions and the finale. Admittedly some are more dramatic a shift than others, but my point is that there is almost always a shift of some sort that's present. The simple fact that this still feels cohesive despite the years that have passed since you posted the first chapter, and the months that tend to pass between new chapters (not knocking you for that, by the way; I'd rather read a good, long chapter every few months than the inverse) is worthy of attention and praise.

Secondly, I absolutely adore the little world you've created in this here work. Gaoling seems to ba at once alive and dead. It's akin to Sacramento, if you want a real-life comparison. Despit it being full of zest and culture in its own right, it pales in comparison to places like Los Angeles and San Francisco in terms of sheer size and the existence of unique properties that give a city life. Gaoling is this to Ba Sing Se and Omashu respectively. From the bustling marketpplace, to the shady bars, to the alley that Aang and Toph find themselves in after the mob starts chasing them, every little detail you breathe into it gives it the air of a city that one wants to just leave as quickly as possible. Buena para ti.

And, lastly, but certainly not least the characters. I swear to some deity up above that you were born to write Toph I mean, you nail pretty much every little aspect of her personality down pat, and it's kind of intimidating. It makes me afraid to try to write her, cuz I doubt I could top your portrayal. Are you Toph made flesh? Methinks you are...

Aang is also portrayed faithfully, as well as interestingly. You clearly took to heart the many times over the series that he experiences doubt and insecurity, for you recreate the feelings, albeit with altered stimuli, and with a more teenage perspective. His stubbornness seems ramped up, but it's perfectly acceptable for a child of the streets such as him to be so self-reliant, even to a fault. His added snark is refreshing, as it make the banter between him and our leading lady all the more entertaining to read. Speaking of...

Ah, the meat and the heart of the story. The cornerstone, if you will. The Taang. Now, while I will say that I was already an ardent supporter of this pairing before stumbling across this little slice of heaven, but this made me feel embrace my inner shipper. Now, I'm aware that the dynamic the two present in the show gives you plenty to work off of, but you just hit it out of the park in terms of execution here. From the beginning, where they had a feud to the point where they finally started speaking to each other and an understanding was made between the two, it certainly felt like two contrasting and clashing personalities butting heads for the first time. Admittedly, I can definitely see the liberal borrowing of the events of Toph's introductory episode, but it worked just fine, and it made for a more believable relationship in the ensuing chapters.

Everything since then, what with them slowly but surely getting the hots for the other has also been portrayed well. Admittedly, one complaint I do have is how Aang is in such clear denial regarding his affections for the blunt young heiress. Now, while his reasoning is certainly easy to grasp and accept, this is more my problem with the trope in general. I don't see why he can't admit to himself that he likes her, but still be resigned to the idea that nothing will come of it based on social standing. Admittedly, he'd have to be blind to not see that she clearly feels the same, but teenage boys are rather thick in that regard. Back to point, I just dislike the trope in general, but your execution of it has nothing wrong with it.

And, to elaborate on the relationship further, I can't really find a fault in either the progression or the implementation.
Magic chapter 16 . 7/15/2015
I read the whole thing today... Awesome storyline, and I like it... Interesting.
Patience chapter 16 . 6/16/2015
Hanging on here. It was only about 5 months between chapters 15-16
TMGermany chapter 16 . 6/5/2015
I really like this story so far! I'm looking forward to more!
Kyra chapter 16 . 5/26/2015
OMG I JUST READ THIS ALL TODAY AND I LOVE IT. THANKS FOR WRITING IT AND I'LL KEEP READING IT.
soundofthebluerain chapter 16 . 5/26/2015
I can't wait to hear more about Aang's past!
Guest chapter 16 . 5/25/2015
YEAH!
Imagine476 chapter 16 . 5/23/2015
Awesome! Some backstory will be revealed I hope.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/23/2015
Its rather tragic to realize that in this alternate universe Aang never met Appa and didn't live the idyllic peaceful lifestyle of the monks and never even saw the mountaintop temples.

He never played air ball or bison polo and never tasted fruit pie or flew on a hang has never seen a flying lemur bat or ridden an air scooter.
fanatla chapter 5 . 5/23/2015
What's with the scar in Aang's arm? What happened to him?
Arrrrggghhh! that old bastard is going to hurt Toph. But I don't think Aang is going to stay quiet about that.
Good cliffhanger.
fanatla chapter 4 . 5/23/2015
Wow! what a short temper has Toph... and how rude she is with Aang... then it's true that from love to hatred theres only one step hehehehehe
fanatla chapter 3 . 5/23/2015
jajaja..."famous last words", I'm still laughing, and gosh almost were what a big slapt Aang got because of Jet and his big mouth... I live for these wonderful hilarious moments.
Katara is a healer here in your AU... wonderful character and, another cliffhanger.
I'm really hooked on this story and I'll be reading and reviewing in the future.
Thanks for write and share this awesome fanfic.
fanatla chapter 2 . 5/23/2015
Ahhhh... Jet, Iroh, Zuko... all secundary but awesome characters in your fic. And the scene in the tea shop... wonderful! Love at first sigh and love is in the air, also I like the cliffhanger at the end.
fanatla chapter 1 . 5/23/2015
Nice start. I really love the way you describe the characters and their surroundings as well as their emotions.
Thatguyacrossthestreet1 chapter 16 . 5/23/2015
yay another chapter hope your not working too hard
198 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »