Reviews for The Valley of the Shadow of Death
greyfall chapter 8 . 1/13/2012
Wow, I just got through all chapters and have enjoyed every minute of it. I see that there was a large gap between updates, but I'm hoping that the recent new postings means that there will be more updates in the future? I have to know how the rest of the season turns out! I loved AUs, especially different versions of an entire season, and your version stays in character and gives new perspective on all of the characters. Rewriting an entire season is pretty ambitious but you're pulling it off well. You can't leave us in suspense for the final third! I want to see what happens come graduation! :D
a2zmom chapter 8 . 2/1/2011
Nice interlude here. I suspect things are about to heat up.
draconin chapter 7 . 1/23/2011
Very nice. Loved the last line; very new Buffy. I'm hanging out to see what happens with Anya this time around. :-)
a2zmom chapter 7 . 1/23/2011
Loved how you wrote Cordelia in this chapter. She can be a real bitch, especially whe she herself is in emotional pain, but then you see the deeper truth of her. She didn't have to be nice to Casey but she was. There's more to Cordelia than the surface she projects.

I am not that surpised that Giles wasn't thinking about Cordelia that much. Even in the show, I always got the feeling that he had some resentment at being asked to play a father figure/mentor role to the rest of them. He never guided Willow with regards to magic, never gave any sort of weapons training to Xander.

Finally, I was always more of a fan of Batman: TAS.
a2zmom chapter 6 . 1/15/2011
Cordelia's home life is even worse than I suspected. And adds a very odd dimension to her social group.
Guest chapter 5 . 1/8/2011
So Oz can control the change? Wow, that's huge.

Xander is correct in that Buffy is the main event when it comes to taking down monsters, but she wouldn't be successful without her network of friends. Splintering the group is ging to lead to some bad times ahead.
sparrow2000 chapter 4 . 1/6/2011
Came to this from a rec by draconin and have spent the last couple of days obsessively reading. Really liking your alternative take on S3. Excellent characterisation of the core gang with an interesting take on the Watchers Council and the Mayor.

I also really like your use of Mr Trick - I always thought he merited more coverage than he got in canon. I've been a bit shocked by how visceral the violence is when it happens - Lindsay and Quisling, but boy did it make a point in both cases.

As others have said, Joyce as the voice of reason/perspective is excellent.

I'd like to echo draconin's comment about the lack of scene dividers in the last few chapters does make things a little confusing - just some asterisks would really help. It's just a tiny comment.

Really looking forward to seeing how you bring all the various threads together - you've created such an interesting tapestry that I'm trusting you finish the picture! *g*

Really looking forward to more.
a2zmom chapter 4 . 1/2/2011
Not sure I like the Ghost of Christmas Past vibe.

I wonder how Trick is going to retaliate.

Now that Buffy and Wilo have some insight into Cordelia's life, I wonder if they're going to do anything.
Dylan chapter 4 . 1/2/2011
Never thought I would ever get the pleasure to read more stories in your excellent Chronicles. I was sometimes checking for updates even if I don't read much fics anymore. Hope springs eternal, right? So true! *G* I started reading BTVS fanfics when I stumbled on stories like yours that read like real episodes with a great characterization.

I loved the new chapters. As intriguing and well-written as ever.

It's absolutely great you decided to write again. Thanks!
draconin chapter 4 . 1/1/2011
Ok... I've finally caught up to where you're posting after having been recc'd to the series some days ago. Very impressive and enjoyable. Definitely one for my rec site! Great characterisation and a fascinating plotline. So, some feedback:

1. You made the point earlier about the mayor being different. I have no problem with that - it IS an AU after all - but it might be a good idea to mention it earlier in the series. It did bother me at first because all the other characters were so spot on.

2. Your recent chapters (last ep and this one), with the exception of the first chapter in this ep, have had a bit of a problem with disjointedness because of the lack of scene dividers. In previous eps you used asterisks to denote change of scenes but in recent postings there's simply been a switch in scene from one sentence to the next and it's very disconcerting. Your use of the html horizontal lines in chapter one of this ep worked well also.

3. I must admit to being disappointed to see Xander condemned to betray Cordelia all over again. This isn't a criticism because I can see how the story almost requires it but... you had the relationship working so well and I do love Cordelia/Xander!

4. Your use of Joyce to put the whole thing into perspective for Buffy was excellent.

Anyway... top marks for an excellent series and I'm looking forward to more!
a2zmom chapter 3 . 12/31/2010
I hope Willow sticks to her guns.

Poor Xander. He really has an awful family. I wonder what's going to happen when Cordelia hears what happened. And I can't imagine who's talking at the end.
a2zmom chapter 2 . 12/30/2010
Love your Buffy and Willow speak. It's perfect.

I actually feel sory for Quisling.
a2zmom chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
Loved Joyce here. Buffy has a tendency to blame herself for everything, but many things are out of her control.

I wonder what's going on with Willow.