Reviews for Aftermath
LJ Summers chapter 1 . 9/21
Fantastic beginning! So very much anticipating the ride!
Clio1792 chapter 94 . 9/4
Nice to hear Cece echo Mary's estimation of her old friend and para-brother as a "Rajah,"-and interesting that she, like Dickon, would shun the gilded high life of upper-crust society.

Of course, as there is more democratization, after the second world war, these distinctions may not matter as much for Mary and Dickon's children-but this was good, capturing that "no man's land" of a transitioning society between the wars.

Good chapter, as always, from this author,
Opaque chapter 94 . 9/4
Ha! Love it! Perfect Mary/Colin interaction. I can't wait to see poor Dickon...all he ever wanted was a pony, the moors and Mary and now he's got an estate to run with Colin and has to learn to mingle with Britains upper crust! I except a great deal of discomfort. Love the 2 girls ganging up on Colin and our consistency with keeping Colin headstrong, and impulsive. Good job!
mille libri chapter 94 . 9/2
I always love Colin and Mary set against each other, that familial impatience and stubbornness aimed at one another - and of course, Mary nearly always wins, having far more force behind her stubbornness. And with Cece on her side, no wonder Colin's frustrated by his inability to crash through that wall!
slytherinsal chapter 94 . 8/30
Jamison and Fredrick will surely be footmen? only one butler in a big house. And that's John.

I hope he doesn't hurt the old man by forcing a pack of people on him. Colin is still spoilt.
Opaque chapter 93 . 8/3
Aww...Mistlethwaite is changing! Having recently lost a parent I know how hard it is to move forward and make changes when part of you wants to keep it all the same as you remember, like changing things will wash away the memories. It's such a statement to Colin coming into his own! and a statement to you! everything's changing and hopefully for the better :)
Clio1792 chapter 93 . 7/28
Time to wire Misslethwaite and turn on those lights!

Just think-now Colin, and Mary, and Dickon, and their children, will be able to sleep in, and then stay up to read at night-the greatest luxury that electricity opens up is freedom from a sunup-to-sundown clock!

Great chapter, taking the characters of the Secret Garden into the modern age,
Clio1792 chapter 92 . 7/28
The alliance between Colin and Dickon always pre-dated-and anticipated-the move toward a more egalitarian society that became the new normal after World War I. It is interesting that it would be Dickon, rather than Colin, who embraces it more ambivalently, and yet it makes perfect sense for Colin to think of Dickon as a partner, rather than an employee. They've simply been through way too much together.

This is excellently done, and congratulations to the author on finishing a new degree, and her admission to graduate school. Her talents on this website make this reviewer confident she will be a sparkling success on any new career path she might undertake.

sanityisaminordetail chapter 93 . 7/26
Ah change is hard indeed, yet very necessary. Poor Martha. Medlock was well done in this chapter. She's exactly herself. xo Mel
mille libri chapter 93 . 7/26
I like that Martha, the simpler soul, is the one having a difficult time with the change, and that Medlock is embracing it. It suits them both. And that Mary understands, on both sides.
slytherinsal chapter 93 . 7/26
It might be better if Mary explained how electricity is stepped down in power at the sub stations, and isn't the uncontrolled raw power of lightning by the time it gets to the house. But it's easy to understand Martha's fears, it will have been within living memory that the notorious phrase book phrase 'My postillion has been struck by lightning' was a very real possibility and travel by coach, which was often the highest point in the countryside with metal fittings into the bargain, carried a very real risk of being struck by lightning. The chance diminished as more and more lightning conductors were fitted, and especially when electric pylons marched across the countryside, making open fields finally safe, but Martha will have heard tales from her parents and grandparents, and may recall events in her youth. As you may know, I'm working on a massive work to document the weather day by day from 1775 to 1820 and somewhere someone or an animal was struck by lightning in every storm documented, often many people. In the days before Pylons too, ball lightning was fairly common, a weird and frightening phenomenon, sometimes benign but not always. Martha is doubtless thinking of tales of ball lightning coming down the chimney and setting light to houses, seeing the switches as conduits for what was known still in her youth as the 'electric fluid'
SeaTurtle77 chapter 93 . 7/25
Good chapter. Keep going!
mille libri chapter 92 . 7/24
I always enjoy seeing this story updated! I've never read The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I've put it on my list of books to be read now just so I can read your Pimpernel stories at some point. I'd be happy to read a Downton Abbey fic if you felt motivated to write one, as well. Good luck in grad school!
sanityisaminordetail chapter 92 . 7/23
Hi there! It's your anonymous reviewer Mel, and I finally have an account! I wanted to say that there are still people following this story and that however long you're gone, we faithful followers will flock. (ouch say that five times fast). I am very happy that you are still thinking of this story, and the best of luck in grad school! xo Mel
Opaque chapter 92 . 7/20
This is totally a peace offering!

When I saw you posted a new chapter I just stared at the screen. I couldn't believe it. I figured at best it would just be an author's note. But it's OUR BOYS! Trying to get their lives back! Thinking of the future of Mistlethwaite! Calling each other family (sobs a little). I know it wasn't much but it feels like a new start-just like you did! I wish you all the best both in this story and with your new life. I'm so proud you took the steps to take a new direction! I hope it makes you happy 3.