Reviews for V1 Voltan and the Healer
wendums chapter 18 . 5/13/2012
well, I have very much enjpyed reading this. Going to look for the next adventure now.
wendums chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
I like this so far. I remeember an old film Voltan with jack Palance playing the role. Is this the same character?
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 18 . 5/15/2011
Yaaayy! _ What a fitting end - planning campaigns against the barbarians and all the wicked folk of the land. No rest for these three! But you have a sequel to the sequel, yes? Fabulous. I may not have the time to start it tonight, but I will get to it. I'm quite loking forard to finding out what happens next. Oh, but I had a wonderful time reading this fic! _ Again, I'm really glad you included the brotherhood aspect as well as the romance. I saw that you've already replied to some of my reviews. I haven't read them yet, but thanks in advance!
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 17 . 5/15/2011
For last chapter - brothers united, indeed! _ And I must say, I hope Annis has a boy, else the castle be overrun with young girls!

I rather cackled at Annis abruptly taking over Hawk's life too. -Excellent.- XD It's really great to see Voltan at the beginning of this fic - pained physically & mentally/emotionally, probably lonely warlord with a rabble for an army and a huge feud with the only living member of his family - compared to Voltan toward the end - healed in every sense of the word with a loving wife, repaired reationship with his brother, couple of new sisters, a child on the way, and an army and village who would do anything for him out of love and loyalty. It makes me happy. _
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 15 . 5/15/2011
Huzzah! Annis healing; the rift between brothers healed! YAY! And Voltan's even turning back to God! It can't get much better than this. I really enjoyed the interaction between Voltan and both of the sisters. The bedside scene at the moment of crisis was very tender. Voltan and Hawk finally letting go of the anger and hatred was excellent. Oh, I am -thoroughly- enjoying this fic.
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 14 . 5/15/2011
Brilliant! I enjoyed Annis telling Hawk off last chapter, and I -loved- this one. The fever, the partial reconciliation... *happy sigh* Ah, fabulous. And I'm really glad you decided to include the (potential) forgiveness between Hawk and Voltan. The romance is an excellent part of this story, but I think the familial relationships are too.

"Hsssh, Annis, do not interrupt, I am busy menacing this fellow."

HA! XD
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 12 . 5/15/2011
Okay, favorite parts: the parley & Hawk's conversation with the abbot (come on, Hawk, give your brother a chance), Voltan's lecture to Lukat (adorable), and the poachers sneaking the threats into enemy tents (just awesome). Again, the little details - like the talk about slaughtering animals - really make the story. I can't wait to see what Annis is plotting now!
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 11 . 5/15/2011
Yay Lukat! _ I'm very glad he's getting the chance to set his foot right and help out around the castle. The wedding was fabulous - long-awaited but totally worth it! And a kid on the way, which is great. I agree with Annis about the feud. Let's end this nonsense, and finish the healing begun with her salves.
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 10 . 5/15/2011
LOVE IT! XD Mad props to Voltan for keeping his cool and sticking to scathing insult rather than rage. The parley scene was fantastic, and I totally buy your Hawk - well-meaning but blinded by the long-standing hatred between him and Voltan. I've become quite fond of both the priest and Lyall; they appear to be refreshingly sensible fellows. The fact that there are 8 chapters left definitely has me curious to see what could possibly happen next! And I hope little Lukat will be able to do something in Voltan's service. He's adorable. _ And so was the byplay between Annis & Voltan!
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 9 . 5/15/2011
Yaaaayyy! Ooh, I -love- this chapter! _ Voltan and Annis finally together, the curse broken, the parley begun...! Exciting stuff. I'm glad that you write Voltan as honorable without being "soft" or stereotypically good. It makes everything -so- much more fun, apart from the latter two qualities being vastly outside his character.
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 8 . 5/15/2011
Tatterdemalion is one of my favorite words. _

Huzzah for a serious marriage proposal! The bit about the soldiers noticing that "their lord and lady" are reconciled, and the subsequent raise in spirits, was adorable. _ And I liked the whole scene with Voltan dangling Annis over the parapet - fabulous. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 7 . 5/15/2011
Loved all the details on the castle defenses. Some terms I admit to being unfamiliar with, but I think I've figured them out based on context clues. -Also- loved the hand-to0hand self-defense lesson, in general and because of the tension between them. "doubtless he would get over it." *snicker*
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 6 . 5/15/2011
Death to the wizard/necromancer/thing! Huzzah!

Again, I really liked the mention of superstitions - maybe they won't work, but we might as well try it anyway, just in case. It fits ell with the atmosphere of the movie, too, where magic is rare and to be treated wth caution, if not outright fear.

I wonder if the woman who helped Hawk knew about the wizard (or whatever) that dealt with Voltan. It wouldn't surprise me if they were aware of each other.

I agree with your assessment of Drogo. He just did understand subtlety or cunning. Yes, he wanted to prove himself, but he just wasn't of the same caliber as Voltan. However, I kind of want to know more of his story. Why did Voltan adopt him? How did that come about? How old was Drogo? We don't really get any of that backstry in the film.

(By the by, it looks like I'll be reviewing close to every chapter because there's always something to talk about. Don't feel pressured to respond to all of them individually! _; I can handle one message in response to all of them.)
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 5 . 5/15/2011
"Do you know what I would like?" said Annis, viciously.

"No; but somehow I expect that you are going to tell me."

If we could list a third genre on this site, it would have to be 'humor' for this fic. _

Oh ho! I see there's a hint of romance in this chapter! Well, a couple hints. This makes me smile. _ It was fun to see your version of Voltan's backstory, and I hope Elissa gets that promotion. I ought to have said it earlier - I really like the inclusion of this character. She's a lot of fun, and it speaks well for Voltan that he'd take on a female mercenary. Kudos to you also for being able to keep up the antiquated speech style you've chosen, not slipping into any modern words or phrasing. (Or at least not noticeably. I haven't exactly been keeping track.) One thing I'm not sure about is whether Annis's father knows where she is. I know they've pepared the peasants to retreat to the castle in case of seige, but did Voltan send a ransom note or whatever? I remember them talking about it but I don't remember what actually happened.
Amaruk Wolfheart of the Wraith chapter 3 . 5/15/2011
"Voltan's disciplinary measures for disobedience were inclined towards the rather final."

HA! XD Ah, fun. I find it interesting that Voltan has taken on her training - and that it is training; she has a natural aptitude, but she's not perfect after one bout.

And I forget to mention last chapter, when she was telling him to hang whoever claimed to be taking care of his face - I agree completely. I highly doubt that that witch or whatever she was ctually did anything to heal his injuries. So long as she only dulled the pain for a while, he would keep coing back to her and be in her power to a degree. It would be counterproductive to heal him. And I remember thinking while I watched the movie, when Voltan revealed that it hurt pretty much constantly, "Well no wonder he's in such a bad temper all the time." _;;