Reviews for The Guys in the Back Row
Susan M. M chapter 6 . 6/7/2019
Never underestimate Hans G. Schultz!
Paul chapter 1 . 11/29/2015
I liked this story almost as much as some of the longer ones. I do feel that you didn't take it quite far enough though, and could make made chapters for more characters. I especially liked the chapters for Addison and 'the second string' although the others were pretty good too.
FloatingPizza chapter 6 . 3/4/2015
Been reading through these, and I'll go back and leave some much-deserved reviews when I have the time, but I had to comment on this chapter in particular. The seamless integration of details from numerous episodes, the thought of Schultz pulling a caper of his own, Addison and Kurtz's characters, Hogan's anger turning to sly calculation, this whole brilliant idea - I love it. Excellent work!
steffiundaxel chapter 6 . 12/23/2014
I just love this chapter! Especially that it was Schulz idea to have Addison switch places with Kurtz and the line "What would Colonel Hogan do?" was just great.
SaraiEsq chapter 7 . 9/30/2014
Another well-crafted collection. Amazing.
Beloved Daughter chapter 7 . 2/23/2014
Brilliant stories for these back row guys! I particularly enjoyed Addison's. Sneaky Shultz!
sparra-music chapter 4 . 10/8/2013
I'm still chortling over the fact that you made Olsen be from Lake Wobegon. :)
It's fitting, really, that a fictional character be from a fictional town... and certainly no more out of place than Hogan being from both Bridgeport, CT and Cleveland, OH. But it tickled my funny bone. Makes me want to ask if Olsen's supposed to be a kid who's above average, or one of those handsome men (and the older I get as I watch the show, the more I tend to think of the younger cast members as "kids"- Carter, too).
inhonoredglory chapter 7 . 10/5/2011
What lovely, deft writing all around. I love hearing such real voices for these other “unsung heroes.” "we'd see a tub of lard by the name of General Burkhalter" - what an awesome line! I just love Wilson with the depth you gave him – his wife dying, a single father. Who would have guessed? I absolutely love your phraseology and the ever so slight, yet deep, story progression in Wilson’s chapter. “Second String” is also excellent. The style is unique and very effective. The voice is perfection itself.

Olsen’s chapter was very exciting and new. I loved the military-ness of it all – and how Olsen “started” the operation. A brilliant touch! And how you stuffed so much backstory and canon explanation – truly brilliant. I love how each chapter has a different feel. The secretaries chapter was definitely different; I love the idea of them spying for the Allied cause. It was fun to see them talk of Hogan and his tunnels. What a lovely different perspective you give us!

Addison is definitely a unique character, who sees the advantage of being taken for granted. He’s such a quiet soul, a definite think-first person. Love Schultz’s “what would Colonel Hogan do?” I truly adore Addison. Everything about him is quiet and unassuming and you take every advantage to show that in his responses (or lack of them!). Truly brilliant writing.

But Garlotti’s chapter has to be my favorite, though I could say this for many of the other chapters as well. But it’s the unique style you did it in, with that deft brevity and awesome amounts of -showing- through just dialogue. Love the line “there's actually something that looks like food in the mess hall.” But the dates in the chapter, the continual song references, the lack of narrative – all conspire for a truly unique, incredibly fulfilling experience. I almost cried in the end. It was a perfect way to honor all POWs, as you noted in your a/n. I have to say it, you are an excellent writer beyond words!
Goldleaf83 chapter 7 . 6/14/2011
The Garlotti chapter caps the series well. I like the format, the way you communicate so much through snippets of conversation on particular dates. You catch a lot of important dates in the war (Pearl Harbor, D-Day, the 20 July Plot to assassinate Hitler, the Battle of the Bulge (putting those last three a day or two after the events was a neat touch, summing up the events of the day(s) before). Garlotti’s wish to pass a message to his parents, which Hogan has to quash, is a nicely understated poignant moment, especially in how he bounces back with another suggestion for music that you must have drawn inspiration for from the original episode. The ongoing friendship with Roy, and the punctuation of Garlotti’s favorite song both work very well to tie all the snippets together. And I like how you end with the camp’s liberation, and the emotional display from both Tony and Roy. Nice work!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 7 . 6/8/2011
Aww, Garlotti! I love Garlotti; I'm so glad you decided to include him in this anthology!

I love how all the little snippets come together to make the story-they fit together so well!
dust on the wind chapter 7 . 6/5/2011
Finally starting to catch up with my back reading. I'm enjoying this series, and the last two chapters are well up to standard. I particularly like Garlotti's recurring song, it's a nice touch.

I like your idea in the previous chapter, to account for the tendency of one particular extra to turn up alternately in Allied and German uniform, too. Mind you, if you want to account for every instance of characters played by the same actor (and why not, I ask?) then Noam Pitlik's going to drive you half insane :D

dust...
80sarcades chapter 7 . 5/31/2011
If anything good can come out of war, it's friendship. Two guys, who in peacetime would probably never have met, become friends and help support each other during a dark time in their lives. The song was a nice addition and wove in perfectly with the overall story/characters.

Nicely done! Can't wait for the next trick up your sleeve!
emeraldarrows chapter 7 . 5/31/2011
This is just wonderful, my favorite of the series so far. You have an amazing way of both getting inside the guy's heads and giving an old-fashioned feel to the story. Beautiful job as usual.:)
Marie1964 chapter 7 . 5/31/2011
Speaking of Lt. Harris, do I sense a Police Academy fan?

Also, why no mention of Wilson as the medic?

A beautiful story showing Garlotti's time before and during the war. Really enjoyed it.
buggleston chapter 7 . 5/31/2011
Enjoy the background lives of these who do little things to help with the operation. Garlotti came through in our favorite "Pizza Parlor" episode. I'm really enjoying these chapters keep the good work.