Reviews for amanda91's Avatar 500
scorchedtrees chapter 15 . 2/2/2013
I really liked these! You have a knack for writing the ATLA characters.

What is the pairing for Pain?
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 9 . 8/14/2012
So cute! Claim your freedom, Kuei and Yue! Cool pairing!
True Colours chapter 8 . 12/22/2011
'Eyes closed and chin resting on the chair back, the prince asks if he will shave his face, too.

The lieutenant suggests that he dab a bit of milk on his upper lip and let the ship's cat lick it off.

The prince is not amused'

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Astute things like this - maturity-related banter between two males, that I expect happens in every day and age but which you have written in an idiom which completely suits the Avatar culture - crikey, I sound pretentious - are what you rarely get on fanfiction. They're what mark the 'okay' fics out from the 'really great' fics. That moment just SO would happen, and also thanks for looking at things like Zuko's head being shaved and taking the logical but interesting step of 'what's it like to have to shave it every morning.' And the bit about the perfume made me laugh too.

True
Lunatique chapter 15 . 12/10/2011
Haha, very unique takes on the characters and I like how you put the essence of a story in a single sentence each. I didn't really get "Hot," who's that talking about?
Squid cats chapter 15 . 12/9/2011
That last one was pure genius. Azusa/nameless volleyball player will hold a special place in my heart forever.

And Jun/Combustion Man is always nice. Maang too.
Lunatique chapter 14 . 9/20/2011
There's some vivid and touching imagery here of what the element of water means to Aang! Aang's hundred years frozen in an iceberg and their psychological effects are issues seldom explored in the fandom, so I was glad to see the subject of this story. I heard (from the BF who read it on a board somewhere, so it might not be accurate) that the reason Aang died fairly young was because his lifespan was lessened by his years in the iceberg. If true, that makes his nightmares and fears here all the sadder. T_T
Ocheeva chapter 14 . 9/4/2011
Beautiful :)
Kimberly T chapter 14 . 9/3/2011
Very nicely done!
Lunatique chapter 13 . 8/5/2011
Short, sweet, and heartwarming! I liked Katara's inner struggle about what to say, and her realization that Toph didn't want pearls of wisdom but commiseration and friendship. She was able to let go of "mommy" and simply be a fellow girl, and a friend. Nice.
Kimberly T chapter 13 . 8/4/2011
Very well done!

Yeah, I've always had the opinion that first menses are more to be -endured- than celebrated. Particularly if they come with killer cramps and etc.
Ocheeva chapter 13 . 8/4/2011
Wow... This feels so...canon. I can perfectly picture this happening among the events of the show. Your writing is so true to the characters it almost hurts :0

And yeah, being a woman is NOT easy!

:D
Lunatique chapter 12 . 6/21/2011
Interesting how there's every kind of lawlessness here other than piracy. :D I like the way you juxtapose the situations where might makes right. Ending with Zuko was a nice way to tie off the thematic elements, though the Toph part seems to stick out a bit in that regard. The other stories all have mentions of violence and isolation from social norms and social identity, but Toph's part is neither particularly violent, nor is she shown to be isolated. To make it a piece with the others, you might think of adding a depiction of violence and what it means to Toph. I suspect it's empowering to her to be her own person away from her parents' constant coddling, and bringing that angle to the fore will emphasize the theme.

Any any rate, that was short but fun and meaningful. Good job!
Kimberly T chapter 11 . 6/18/2011
Nicely done!

I've often wondered what became of that little family after Ba Sing Se fell to the Fire Nation. Maybe you could continue this one someday?
Lunatique chapter 11 . 6/4/2011
A poignant look at the lives of refugees during the war. The story of this one family brings home the costs of the long conflict, good job. I remember Hope's mother (who I now think of as Ying :) clutching the baby fearfully to her chest as Fire Nation soldiers marched by, and thinking how much it sucked that they'd come all this way for safety only to have their new home overrun.

I don't know if they necessarily lost everything, though, since I don't think the Fire Nation engaged in the kind of wholesale slaughter in Ba Sing Se that Than and his family fled from. I think the ending could be stronger and more complete with just a bit of detail, such as Ying and Than watching the soldiers march by and wondering what will happen to them (sucks), their lives growing harder and more dangerous under an occupying power (sucks worse), or Than being dragged away for forced labor (major suckitude). I guess what I'm trying to say is that war sucks. :P
Mai4eternity chapter 11 . 6/4/2011
Yay, someone else who even remotely mentioned Hope, Than, or Ying.

Walls. That's a symbolic idea, isn't it?
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »