Reviews for Per Ardua Ad Astra
AvidReaderAlso chapter 3 . 5/13/2014
Thank you for this visit to the past. :)

The thing I remember best about this show was how much I liked the character of Hawk (and the inestimable Sir Hyde-White). Hawk had my interest immediately, and I would say that he was the main reason I continued to watch the show into its second season. In a way, the concept was a bit ahead of its time, like the original Battlestar... and the original Star Trek (those weaned on the Next Generation are often astonished to learn that the first series was cancelled and was only briefly salvaged due to a vigourous letter-writing campaign). Oh, Buck Rogers certainly needed help - it gave into network pressures for 'fan service', without doubt, and we were at the end of the (urgh) disco era, after all - but the foundation of the plot was good, and the potential for character development was tremendous if it had been handled correctly... which you've done with these three chapters. :)

This was so well written. You've achieved a very good balance, shifting between Hawk's introspections and the actions and dialogues around him. I loved the background story you've given him - blends beautifully with the original story. And, you've redeemed the other characters, too (I think it really helps when the shiny spandex and short skirts are out of the picture! lol). If you ever decide to pursue this story further, I would love to read it.

Kind regards,
AvidReaderAlso
Honor Reid chapter 3 . 6/8/2013
Lovely start. I really enjoyed Hawks and Buck's interaction as they try to get to know each other.

If you felt like it more would be awesome.

Thanks! :)
elf chapter 3 . 1/16/2012
Just stumbled across this. It's very good. I came across a DVD set of the show a few years ago and was disappointed that it didn't really live up to my memories of it from when I was a kid. Oddly enough, this story is more like what I remember the show to have been than the show itself was. I especially liked the brooding, tragic, ever-honorable Hawk, and you've captured him perfectly. Do keep going! :)
Kezler chapter 2 . 2/25/2011
What a great character story! You did something the show's writers never did; Hawk's adjustment to the Searcher and humanity.

I would love to see more of your Buck stories!
loneguppy chapter 3 . 1/26/2011
Seeing it from Hawk's eyes is a lot like how Buck was when he first came to this century. Both are outsiders. It's a refreshing take on thing.
cougar89 chapter 3 . 1/20/2011
Wow. This is a really good story! Thanks for the update.
teatat chapter 2 . 1/19/2011
“Neutralis … A rather uncreative name for a city” LOL

Thank you for posting this.

I always felt that there should have been more of a transition for Hawk so I’m glad to see a story set after he joins the Searcher and before he’s Buck’s best friend.

I like that you show Buck feeling guilty about using Korri as bate and that Hawk makes him appreciate what Dr. Huer did for him. I also like that you had Hawk wonder about the position Buck holds on the ship.

I hope you’ll keep writing!
kitkatt chapter 1 . 1/17/2011
Post all the Buck Rogers stories you have. There isn't a lot out there and I love reading stories about the Buck Rogers TV show.
loneguppy chapter 1 . 1/11/2011
This is very good.

As I read this, It was easy to remember the first episode where Buck encountered Hawk.
lucimo1 chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
I'm always looking for Buck fanfiction to read. Thanks for posting...looking forward to more chapters.
cougar89 chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
Thanks for the story! Looking forward to more.