Reviews for Friday Night Lights
Amilyn chapter 1 . 6/18/2012
Nicely done and quite in character. The reasons neither of them can quite believe or be observant make good sense. Nice.
Dixie Dewdrop chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
This was a nice idea for a story.
Cleavage Queen chapter 1 . 1/10/2011
Hmm. Interesting story.

See, I've always seen Ziva portrayed on the show as someone who _does_ identify herself as Jewish in religion, not just birth. Her attachment to the Star of David necklace, not just as ornamentation but as a talisman. She certainly falls way into the Reform tradition and not the Conservative tradition.

Judaism is not as clear on the concept of Heaven & Hell as Chrsitianity, as the existence of the afterlife is not stated explicitly in the Torah itself. As human beings we have to focus on our task in this world. The Christian New Testament is much clearer about Heaven & Hell. Roman Catholics have defined it even further.

The twelfth-century philosopher Maimonides opposed the idea of rewards and punishments for behavior; the reward for virtuous living, he said, is simply the good life itself.

The question Ziva would put to herself is more of "has she lived her life for Good or for Evil". And that is a debatable question, for who is to determine Good vs Evil. She has broken several of the Commandments but she has done so in the persuit of those seen as Evil.

I am a bit confused by your comment about them being with the Rabbi as he performas the "death rituals" before Ducky has done the autopsy. I don't believe Rabbi J. ever went to a morgue to close the eyes, light the candles, sit by the body - it was always someone from teh synagogue. I could be wrong about that though. Death is seen as a part of the life cycle.

Going to services (whether Jewish or Christian) does not make a person a believer. Nor does keeping Kosher or following various rules. We do these things to feel closer to others and the share our faith and find support.

And now that's probably way more knowldge than any of you might have wanted...
petuniatc chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Good one - excellent background for Ziva, not sure about Tony. We know Kate was Catholic but I don't think we've ever learned if Tony is or not. We assume because of his last name he's Catholic but remember his mother was British so he might have been raised Episcopal. But this still works because Tony wouldn't have wanted to go to church if it made him remember her funeral.

Also the tattoos on her grandmother's arm fit Ziva. Growing up in Isreal Ziva would have known someone - a neighbor if not a family member - who had survived the concentration camps. I keep hoping the show will get a visit from Ziva's great aunt and she'll be a survivor.
M E Wofford chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
I don't know why anyone would be upset at this.

No offense apparent to me for either Jews or Christians.

And everyone is angry at God sometimes, especially when you lose someone you love. It is normal. Some people get over it swiftly, some slowly and some never.

You demonstrated that very well indeed in this sweet story.
IMSLES chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
It's true they don't show any signs on the show. It's an interesting take you took for the story. You showed them being a nice support to each other and that is definitely seen on the show (though maybe not so snuggily, hee hee).

Sue
Anonymous033 chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Oh, this is such a sad fic :( poor Tony and Ziva. With memories like that...it's no wonder they've lost their faith. I'm not very religious myself, so while I'm not expecting them to find religion again, I'm glad they found peace :) Sometimes that's just what we need.
ThePurpleDragoness chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Your remark about how you think all religions are beautiful made me think of those of the Baha’i Faith who believe all religions are one. It also made me curious as to what you believe. Do you believe in anything in particular, or do you just not give too much thought to your spirituality? If you think it too personal a question, you don’t need to answer, it’s just friendly curiosity. :)
Radafa chapter 1 . 1/6/2011
Very interesting, faith is a touchy subject for most people. It seems that tragedy can push one either towards their faith, like Kate or away, like Ziva, although we don't really know her opinions and personal experiences. I liked this, I feel you handeled a difficult subject with respect and within character.
LunaZola chapter 1 . 1/6/2011
I like this. I don't find it offensive to either religion. Any person who has come to age in the church (and I can only speak for the Christian church, because that's all I know know myself) has likely experienced some sort of doubt. Death is a common catalyst. There are things in our world that makes us question our beliefs. I think you portrayed that beautifully. If I had lost someone who was a vital piece of my life, I think I would have a heard time believing in some sort of god. Sometimes people overcome this, and sometimes they cannot regain that faith but it is very personal. With as much loss these two have experienced, I would not be shocked if their association with the places of worship was purely death related.