Reviews for Consider Phlebas
Allie Chick chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
I think this was an excellent interpretation of what happened. I love fics that are heavily based in actual history. Lovely work!
uhuhuhuhuhuhu chapter 1 . 2/8/2013
Quite interesting! Austria's characterization is spot-on. Loving the history notes, as well.
fayfan chapter 1 . 12/2/2011
Interesting fic! D
violonforte chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
Oh dear me, for a while there I felt jealous of Germany, too, and bitter! I won't comment on the story for fear of spoiling someone It's a great story, of course! As expected! :D

Your "Historical Blocks of Text I Mean Notes" were really helpful, though! I've been reading a number of articles about Interwar Austria and can't grasp the struggle between the Austrofascists and "Austronazis" (as one source called them) because they contained a lot more legal and political jargon than my brain could handle. Your summaries make much more sense. Thank you.
ginnyisdacoolest chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
I like this portrayal of the annexation of Austria, as something he wasn't really eager to do but knew was the best way to rebuild himself. The image of Austria as a nation in disrepair is painted very well, with both his own health and the state of his finances. I especially like how he made up his mind after asking Klaus, the every-day man.

Also, that moment where he corrects Germany's grammar made me snicker, partially because the person who taught me proper grammar was a German.
Alix Cohen chapter 1 . 3/10/2011
"Tanks and player pianos and divorces." yes.

Can you write one about the Anschluss itself, and Hungary and Italy trying to keep Germany from annexing Austria?
aisarikka chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
Your work is forever loved! The way your write Austria's bitterness and sorrow never fails to make want to cry. Your writing is mature and truly touches heartstrings. :D

Kudos!
fireblazie chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
You paint these scenes so, so vividly in my mind. I could feel the tension between them, and, oh, gosh, Austria in a wheelchair. This really got to me, because Austria has such pride that I know he would abhor it - so to see him in such a state really drove the point home.

His interactions with Germany were spot-on, I think. I could really feel the way Austria clung onto some of his former power and authority and Germany, poor Germany, wanting to be diplomatic and being awkward and strangely endearing to me. I know this is a bit random, but I loved that one bit where Austria corrects Germany's grammar! Shows that he's still Austria, still Roderich, despite his hardships.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say is that I loved this, as usual. :) I look forward to future installments in the Edelweiss Arc!
just another fma fan chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
call me a sadist, but I just can't resist wheelchair!fics.

I really like all the history here, and Austria's ways of coping, and even the butcher was such a great touch. I'm curious though, about where Hungary is, this being Austria-Hungary, right?

Hm, I'll have to go read more of the Edelweiss Arc now.
Skadiyoko chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
You need to be a history teacher.

And teach like in your A/Ns.

Then come to my house and give me awesome private lessons (even though I'm out of High School..).

Anyway, this is awesome, and made me want to give Austria a hug. :D
ToastWeaselofDOOM chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
Awesome job! I loved it!

*is too lazy to log on from her phone*