Reviews for When In Doubt, Obliviate
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 12 . 4/27/2016
This chapter fell flat for me, especially Dumbledore's conversation. The whole story kinds ran off the rails when Harry got sorted into Slytherin. Gilderoy should have let Harry know that a celebrity should try not to upset his fan base by doing things that disturb their image of him, and getting sorted into Slytherin would definitely disturb people's image of him since both his parents were Gryffindors.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 10 . 4/27/2016
A lot funnier than the original. I especially like your Neville. He's a lot more vocal and self-assured.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 9 . 4/27/2016
A pair of underwear caught in the door is a much better excuse than everywhere else was full. Thankfully he didn't specify that it had a brown skid mark on it.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 7 . 4/27/2016
Charlus and Dorea Potter, of course, not Thomas and Elizabeth Potter.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 2 . 4/27/2016
If Dumbledore leaves Harry on a doorstep with only a note and a blanket in the middle of the night in November then it's not at all a stretch that he wouldn't bother to look in on him for the next decade. The man is truly incorrigible. I don't know why JKR wrote him the way she did, but the woman has real daddy issues. She didn't have to make Potterverse so dominated by one man with so many titles and responsibilities and personal flaws, but she did. If you examine each decision and his excuse in isolation it just looks like he slipped up in isolated instances, but if you look at how often he screws up and how badly and how much authority he has you quickly begin to realize that nearly all the ills of Wizarding society can be blamed on Dumbledore. He's not just making innocent mistakes here and there over a very long career. His fractionating of society and playing one side against another starts at Hogwarts, continues at the Wizengamot, and culminates internationally at the ICW, and he's been doing it for multiple generations. A chessmaster takes no notice of the health and happiness of one little pawn unless he's trying to persuade him to do something, and often not even then. The pawns are just there to be sacrificed, 'for the greater good'. With his genial demeanor nobody suspects a thing. Snape was intended to be a very complex character and IMHO fails because his actions are so constrained by his vows to Voldemort, Narcissa and Dumbledore and his role as a double agent, but Dumbledore actually is complex of his own free will. He's a personification of light does not equal good. He's a committed Light wizard (except possibly the casting of blood wards which some people consider to be Dark) yet his every action is shrouded in secrecy, intrigue and shadow.

At 15 months Harry should have some verbal skills so it's a stretch to say he can't talk yet. However, he may not be able to make himself understood by strangers and he probably doesn't have the ability to form sentences. He probably does know "yes" and "no" enough to be understood though.
LJoL chapter 38 . 4/3/2016
I am truly inspired...

I can not fathom how you actually managed to make Lockhart of all people actually seem brave, helpful, dependable, and caring all while at the same time actually leaving his character completely in character.

You are a literary genius.

That makes two stories of yours that I have now read and I loved both so far. I intend on reading a third tomorrow with the grandest of hopes that the streak will continue in the same vein.

PS: Yes, I am aware that it is a faux pas to use the same word "actually" that many times in one sentence, but I needed a way to illustrate my sheer awe at the feat you achieved.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/2/2016
to cheerfully tell a little kid that you are going to teach him how to obliviate people is just.. hilariously fucked up
Guest chapter 32 . 3/3/2016
I would think Lockhart is more of a slytherin with the way he (quite efficiently) tricks everyone
jcampbellohten chapter 38 . 2/27/2016
Good stuff. So, we just assume Voldemort never gets a new body before Dumbledore finds and destroys the rest of the horcruxes? Also, what happened to the part of him they separated from Quirell? Did he become separated as a free-floating spirit and escape, or was he a spirit they managed to keep trapped, or was he separated into a homunculus body, or what?
jcampbellohten chapter 33 . 2/27/2016
Oh, geez, Chamber of Secrets in the back half of year one. I wonder how it'll get solved so quickly, and how Lucius will react to learning Draco's the one who got used by the diary. Also, why would Lucius put the diary on a shelf in the library, where it's unlikely anyone would pick it up?
jcampbellohten chapter 30 . 2/27/2016
Woah, woah, woah. Last chapter:
"
"Isn't [You-Know-Who] dead?" Hermione asked, confused.
Ron rolled his eyes. "Please, Hermione. Everyone knows he's still out there."
This chapter:
"
"With You-Know-Who not dead, of course they will," Neville said matter-of-factly.
Ron jerked. "YOU-KNOW-WHO'S NOT DEAD?"
Um, what?

Anyway, I like the indication that the rest of the canon plot went on with the Gryffindor group even though Harry wasn't with them.
jcampbellohten chapter 26 . 2/27/2016
Because you seem on-the-ball about capitalizations (i.e., not capitalizing words that shouldn't be unless it's something like "Obliviating" that has a different meaning already when it's not capitalized), I feel obliged to mention that "the Sun" and "the Moon" are the names of our solar system's sun and our planet's moon and thus proper nouns, so they get capitalized when referring to those bodies specifically.
That seems a bit... stalker-ish of Molly Weasley. Well, whatever.
jcampbellohten chapter 25 . 2/27/2016
Hahahaha, Twilight!
jcampbellohten chapter 24 . 2/27/2016
But, he did find out what "cured" the Obliviating the man who did it: the guy used the homorphus charm and that gave the werewolf its human mind back. I considered that the part about Lockhart's carelessness might be just what they were telling Remus and Sirius, but the narrator mentions Lockhart Obliviating the guy, which I don't think is something Harry and Lockhart would mention to anyone, so it all must be private thoughts.
Also, I just realized: is it just Neville and his mother? What happened to Frank?
jcampbellohten chapter 18 . 2/26/2016
Most of those are good questions I'm glad you raised. I can answer one of them and wish one of the characters would give this answer: the goblins would admit there was a break-in if nothing was stolen because it enhances the "no one can successfully rob Gringott's" (Gringotts?) image. Alternatively, some kind of alarm went off and wizards got word to the press rather than the goblins admitting anything.
2,594 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »