Reviews for When In Doubt, Obliviate
Temple Cloud chapter 3 . 6/29/2022
Okay, I'm sorry my first review was a bit harsh - Gilderoy Lockhart isn't a mass-murderer, granted (because he wants to be adored and admired rather than feared), and he does (at least as written in this story) genuinely seem to believe that what he does is for the best. I wonder - judging by the backfiring spell in Chamber Of Secrets, he seems to have no scruples about casting memory spells so powerful that they don't just erase the memory of one incident, but of the victim's entire life and identity, in a way which can leave them incapacitated for years, and perhaps forever. But probably he doesn't make a habit of doing this very often - it would look too suspicious if he left a trail of amnesiac victims everywhere he went, and there's a limit to how often he can use the 'The monster was so terrifying that just seeing it robbed my companions of their senses, but I'm just glad that I was able to avenge this injury by killing the monster,' line before someone becomes suspicious and wonders why the monster didn't have that effect on anyone until he turned up.

At the very least, though, by erasing people's memories of how they dealt with a dangerous creature, he is lessening their ability to do so again. The werewolf in this story presumably needs someone to cast the homorphus charm on him every month as soon as he starts to transform, to prevent him from harming anyone else, so it would have been practical to encourage Mr Hagopian to find him and suggest a regular arrangement. After all, wolfsbane potion is rare and hard to obtain, and anything that alleviates the symptoms of lycanthropy, even if it isn't a permanent cure, is far more important than one man's fame.

Now I'm wondering - what would have happened if Gilderoy Lockhart, instead of interviewing people and then obliviating them, had learned to conjure the relevant memories out of someone's head so that he could view them in a pensieve? If impressions of another person's thoughts and feelings and behaviour had become, in a way, HIS memories, might they have come to change his own personality and behaviour, perhaps leading him to become a genuine hero?

I'm thinking here of how memory tapes work in the Sector General series by James White. The idea is that, in a multi-species hospital in space, surgeons treating an alien patient whose anatomy they are unfamiliar with take a memory-tape which imprints on their mind the whole life experience (no editing is possible) of a doctor from that species. If they take memory-tapes from doctors of several different species at once, they can even combine these donors' medical knowledge to devise new treatment techniques. Unfortunately, this also means having to share the sexual desires, phobias, food preferences, body image etc of a whole bunch of aliens, which can be very confusing, but occasionally is useful. One of the characters in the series comes from a species which evolved to be highly timid (because they are a prey species) and very gentle and tactful (because they evolved the ability to read emotional radiation so that they could sense predators coming, and being acutely sensitive to everyone's emotions means that hurting their friends' feelings is immensely painful to them). But by the final book, when this character is promoted from loyal best friend of the hero to protagonist, he is carrying the memory tapes of several more forthright species, and therefore is capable of bringing the memories of these personalities to the forefront when he needs to be assertive.
Temple Cloud chapter 1 . 6/29/2022
Ugh - Gilderoy Lockhart is such a creepy character that he is barely a better person to bring Harry up than Voldemort would have been (the Dursleys are obnoxious, but as they make no effort to be nice to Harry and are completely charmless in the muggle sense as well as being non-magical, he at least doesn't grow up seeing them as role models). In some ways it would be harder to write a Gilderoy Lockhart redemption story than a Voldemort redemption story (though I can just about imagine it, if Gilderoy as a patient in St Mungo's, having learnt about who he supposedly is based on his own writings, and probably really wanting to have been the noble, altruistic hero he had so long presented himself as, meets someone who can tell him what he was REALLY like, and he is horrified and desperately wants to atone for his past crimes - especially if the spell damage he had done to his victims was anything like as severe as the spell damage that he inflicts on himself in Chamber Of Secrets - who knows how many severely brain-damaged witches and wizards there are around the world as a result of Gilderoy Lockhart?).

And yet - he has managed to save Sirius Black. For once, he actually HAS done something right (if only by accident). And this might be enough to change his life. I wonder how old he actually is at this point - perhaps barely into his twenties, like Harry's parents and their friends? It sounds as if he has enough of a fake 'career' established to be ready to write his autobiography - but he might be already planning this as a very young man, inventing a fictional memoir of his childhood and adolescence to put as much distance between himself and his real background as possible.
StandupSitdown chapter 37 . 5/30/2022
Just finished rereading this story again after a few of your others. Still holds up. You're writing style and humor are great and I thank you once again for the enjoyment.
(Leaving this here because FFnet won't let me review the final chapter more than one. You'd think there'd be a time limit after which it'd let you leave another review)
Guest chapter 38 . 5/7/2022
Very entertaining! Heard about it from several Pinterest posts and couldn’t resist. Almost died laughing at Christmas, lol. Thanks for the story.
dogbertcarroll chapter 3 . 4/22/2022
Gilderoy Lockhart, not the hero the wizarding world needs, but definitely the one it deserves.
yochan123 chapter 3 . 4/5/2022
omg yes I TOTALLLLY agree with your points like gilderoy isn't a nice dude but technically he's also not directly harming a ton of ppl through his lies.

and yes sirius and remus and like so many others (james and lily and neville's parents) got completely f'd over by dumbledore and it's such a tragedy
Jaoheah chapter 38 . 3/9/2022
10/10
Jaoheah chapter 14 . 3/9/2022
wasn't everyone supposed to buy their own cauldron?
Guest chapter 38 . 3/4/2022
Thank you. Its a great story
HarajukuSho chapter 3 . 2/25/2022
This is so so awesome so far! xD I'm happy for Harry, it sounds like he's gotten a better start in his life than he'd have had with the Dursleys. And Lockhart even saved Sirius! Damn, that Gilderoy is a fine man :33 Thank you for making me laugh and smile with this fic!
Lady LaFey chapter 23 . 1/12/2022
As a proud Hufflepuff, I am taking personal offense to the jabs to my house. (lol) I'm really enjoying the story.
Guest chapter 38 . 12/9/2021
Still smirking...love your story and your sense of humor. Thanks
bookwormtx chapter 38 . 11/3/2021
Great story
crazydavey chapter 12 . 10/8/2021
Dumbledore's conversation with Harry about Snape was pretty hilarious.
crazydavey chapter 10 . 10/8/2021
Slytherin, huh? Poor Sirius lol. Remus probably won't even let him complain about it every time he sees Harry...
3,090 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »