Reviews for Shiny's in the Smile
IveGottaBeMe1 chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
I love this :) I honestly think Mal's never loved anyone as much as he loves Kaylee, not even Inara. It's great that it's not even in a romantic sense, either, it's just that he cares for her as a sister and a daughter, and he would do anything to protect her and make her happy, and I think you captured that perfectly.
Thom chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
That was a really sweet story. :) You understand these characters really well and I wish this scene was in the show.
steepedinwords chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
That was just sweet. I so enjoy well-written Mal/Kaylee interaction. :) Just one note - around the middle, there's this line:

"'Spect I'll always wanna hear 'bout what's botherin' you, s'long as I can do somethin' to fix it." She shakes her head of tangled brown hair, certain strands gleaming more golden or red in the light from the engine room. "It's the Doc, innit it?"

This bugged me, because 'innit' is already a contraction of 'isn't it' so the extra 'it' is a tad redundant. :)
featherdusterpixie chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
loved it!

mal is so cute!

kaylee is the best!
gnbrules chapter 1 . 6/25/2011
I'm just in love with their friendship too, and just got done watching The Message before I found this. Perfect, sweet, great characterization!
Fiws chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Love it! You did an awesome job with Mal's sweet sternness.
LJ Summers chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
Saw this rec'd at A Different Forest and, loving the Mal/Kaylee playfulness, I had to read.

So charming. I'm wearing my own shiny smile. Thank you!
Dementia is Reality chapter 1 . 1/29/2011
Hey Alice Steele,

Just wanted to say I read your one-shot. I love the Mal/Kaylee relationship and you nailed it perfectly. Thanks so much for writing this. You did a fantastic job.
Duchess of Strumpetness chapter 1 . 1/20/2011
Ohhhh I love it, that is so sweet. I've always thought Mal & Kaylee have a special relationship. They're both very lucky to have the other.
Mycha chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
I REALLY liked this. You caught Mal and Kaylee's personalities and relationship very well.
Panda Slippers chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
This is adorable. I think you did a great job with their bond.
ASDGERWGAWdsv chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
I love it! the way u wrote about there freindship is brilliant!

this is the best way to write serenity is as much as a person can be to them. Nobody else gets that on serenity though.
lovesickdinosaurs chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
I loved it! An adorable mal and kaylee friendship fic... perfect! Thanks!
Jadzia Bear chapter 1 . 1/10/2011
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's been a very long time since a summary has made me actually want to read a story, and I wasn't disappointed. I can't remember the last time I felt compelled to review in as much detail as this - you've made my day.

Let's start with - "She's just there for Serenity, just like him." I think Kaylee and Mal share a love for Serenity that no-one else on the ship does. I've always thought of Wash as loving flying more so than the ship, whereas Mal and Kaylee see Serenity as another person.

I adore the phrase 'little Kaylee', it makes me all warm and fuzzy, thanks for using it :)

"she gets the nicest bit of him, and that's just how it is" - what a beautiful line, and I'd say you're right. Inara certainly doesn't get the nicest part of him, and while Zoe gets the most of him, most of him isn't nice. Mal is at his best, his most paternal, with Kaylee.

What a sweet ending. The kiss on the forehead is lovely, and "she's herself again, and out in the black, that keeps Mal steady more'n anything in this 'verse does." I think that's so true. I like to think that it's important to Mal, the way Kaylee looks at him. As long as she can see the good in him, he can keep going.

One of my pet hates is when people write Kaylee as ridiculously bubbly, grinning and skipping all over the place. You did a beautiful job of showing her more sombre side which, in my opinion, is just as much a part of what makes her such a beautiful character. Regardless of what's going on, good or bad, we see it all on Kaylee's face. She's one of my favourite characters and you portrayed her perfectly.

Once again, thank you, and keep writing :)
RionaEire chapter 1 . 1/10/2011
That made me smile too. I love that softer side of Mal we see when he talks to Kaylee, he really cares about her. And its true, Kaylee's smile and cheer keeps the verse spinnin for our crew, I don't think their family would hold together without her and her shiny sincerity.