Reviews for Tic Tok
DozyTart chapter 16 . 12/30/2012
And another strong ending! Albeit entirely different in tone from the last chapter.

Have you been doing this all along but I've been too caught up in the stories to notice? Clearly, I need to go back and begin re-reading immediately, starting from the beginning.

But...remind me again...where did it all begin?
DozyTart chapter 15 . 12/30/2012
Oh, that last sentence. Straight to the heart.

I've just discovered your Tin Man fanfic and have spent the last three days immersing myself. Apologies for not commenting sooner, during one of the other, foundation Gulchverse stories, but I really haven't had time to catch my breath. (Finish one, move on to the next!)

Fabulous characterizations, great dialog, humor and feeling. Yeah, you really suck at this writing thing.

I'm going to have to follow you from now on and it won't even matter what fandom you write in (except Twilight - I just want to slap them all upside the head. Please don't write Twilight fic.).

My favorite characters in the stories that I've read so far are yours, especially Gulch and the Guards. I can't think of higher praise.
8. B. R. Adford chapter 16 . 10/21/2012
I love this story too much...seriously. I always thought Gulch was under rated, he only got like 2 minutes but deserved so much more...yay
EvilFaerie17 chapter 16 . 2/7/2012
I just got finished rereading this and it's companion piece and I've got to tell you how much I love them! :)

I must admit, no matter how much DG and Cain belong together and I love them, as I was reading these stories I couldn't help but imagine how it would be if DG and Gulch had been together :) They are so cute as a couple here! And apparently the whole town agreed, lol. But he is Azkadellia's and Cain is DG's and I am just fine with that.

Hope you keep writing!

ttfn!

Faerie
CurlyHairedDisaster chapter 16 . 7/11/2011
*Sigh* The light case of OCD in me cringes at ruining the perfect, pretty, even 100, but I had to review yet again upon the completion of Tic Tok.

I've decided it's kind of odd to go back to The Courting of Officer Gulch ( I have A LOT of catching up to do on that one) now, as I've grown so used to Gulch leaping in to save DG in these prequels that it might be weird to settle back into Cain being her overzealous protector instead. The bond you've created between each character is so precious. :)
CurlyHairedDisaster chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
So I've already told you in my review for TFTO how I usually hate prequels, and even though I looooved TFTO I was like "Well, I don't care about Hank and Emily so how could I possibly like-" buuuuut I'm aready thoroughly sucked in!

Also, I do believe I'm the 100th reviewer. I feel special!
Umino Akiko chapter 16 . 6/8/2011
Dahahahahaha! Poor Elmer! God he's so funny. *hugs*
KLCtheBookWorm chapter 16 . 5/24/2011
The father unit contained considerable skills as a carpenter; if only he weren't convinced he was made to be a mechanic. - With this giggle-worthy assessment, I was glad Hank and Emily survived their encounter with the Sorceress in this series.

Officer Gulch blinked and contemplated the wrench he'd instinctively snatched out of the father unit's grasp. "Are these generators running anything important?" the cop asked slowly, turning the implement over in his hands. - *Snicker*

Though she no longer functioned at the youngest princess' parental authority, the mother unit felt she really ought to speak to DG about this. People, the tic tok found, had shocking habit of taking advantage of Officer Gulch's good nature and using him shamelessly.

Couldn't have that. - *Dies laughing*
EreshkigalGirl chapter 16 . 5/23/2011
Oh no! It's the end. But *phew* not of Gulch Verse. I'm glad of that. I can't wait to see what more you have swimming around in your brain. I kinda wanna see future!Gulch. Az on pregnancy hormones: and you thought the Vapors were bad. Also, sibling rivalry for Kansas the Mobat would be fun.

Anyway, a wonderful chapter. Poor Gulch, standing catatonic while trying to figure out what the heck is going on. It's his default position, really. Also:

"People, the tic tok found, had shocking habit of taking advantage of Officer Gulch's good nature and using him shamelessly.

Couldn't have that."

This is awesome. And so true. *sends Az to hug Gulch, as I fear for my life if I try* Hee!
Megan McAlistair chapter 16 . 5/22/2011
"and had halted as abruptly as an instantaneous systems crash"

Elmer having a BSOD

too funny

"the tic tok recalled as she ambulated about preparing the tea"

showing concern but not telling her why

why not, I mean, they share their data regularly...

except maybe he didn't want her to feel bad about it, maybe he wanted to take the blame alone, like the wonderful husband he is

man Hank has really grown on me

"I don't have the correct programming to simulate quadruped mammals,"

talk about mood swings, this had me go from deep contemplation about character development and its vitalness for a good story to barking with laughter, what's wrong with your eyes indeed

"Couldn't have that."

because she would never do that... never did that

heightened senses, yet so oblivious

and sadly this fic is over

I kept myself from checking every day for new chapter so suddenly it was just over and I had three of them left

but a darn good thing it was, deep, funny in its own way and well-written
Megan McAlistair chapter 15 . 5/22/2011
"incompatibilities between the princess and her mother unit"

a teenager having fallouts with her mother?

nonsense, that never happens in real life

...supernatural cause for a natural problem

"a year – annual – at most"

having to get used to the old terminology again...

"of the illnesses no one believed she actually had"

when the noisy hypochondriac shuts up... you know there's trouble

"might herald the arrival of a predator"

get to the chopper!

I need to stop doing this

"the prince"

I know it's a typo, but I can't help thinking "The artist formerly known as princess"

"he had failed to perceive Officer Gulch standing, silent and still, in the far corner of the darkened room, his arms crossed over his chest and head bowed in unwavering contemplation of the unconscious teen"

Watching Elmer standing there, it was suddenly so clear. The Officer would never stop, he would never leave her... he would always be there. And he would never hurt her, never shout at her or get drunk and hit her, or say he couldn't spend time with her because he was too busy. And he would die to protect her. Of all the would-be protectors who came and went over the years, this man, Elmer Gulch, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

"took an instinctive step back"

...for his eyes had started glowing red

seriously, I love this Gulch-portrayal, he is so fixed on this, I can feel the energy crackling in the room through the monitor, I'm getting goose bumps just reading it, and it's way too warm where I am

you are so good

"cruel"

first: I love the repetition again at the end, it's so effective and awesome, kudos to that

but most of all: the development going on inside Hank, suddenly realizing that all these years he had opted to make the cop more and more emotionally invested in DG, make her the sole content of his life when it was clear from the start that she would have to disappear one day without being able to tell him where she was going

because they didn't have emotions back then, because they didn't think things through, because they were thinking too pragmatic

because now she's started dreaming
Megan McAlistair chapter 14 . 5/22/2011
"...or to certain humans familiar with the topography."

experience beats everything, even careful programming, it's how Kyle beat the first Terminator

"in an awkward manner that suggested behavioural mimicry."

he's... trying to be cool

I love how Hank expresses himself, priceless

(I would comment on the other misunderstanding but my prudeness won't let me)

"Naw, don't gotta license for bear"

yeah, he's only got a license for "any boys who might be thinking of gettin' frisky with my Missy"

...actually I think that comes with the birth certificate

"copulatory interfacing"

"Wanna burn my data onto your disk? I'll set the speed to low so the quality gets better"

"Hank could crush a human's spine with his bare hands if he needed to"

wow, I've mentioned Terminator earlier but this is too much of an association

good thing I saw the two movies before starting this chapter or I would have missed that angle

that's how Hank must have sounded to DG after her memory wipe

"Come with me if you want to live"

"using – or pretending to use – the night vision binoculars"

"Can you see anything?" - "Everything."

"I'm gonna tell Popsicle that you need help working on your truck and you were just too shy to ask him"

oh DG, she knows Hank would be so EAGER to help and Elmer would be too nice to be able to refuse him

"he'd always wanted a closer look at the policeman's truck..."

that poor truck... rest in pieces

"old Arnold"

...

this is crazy

"halfway around the world"

or to another... he is such a good man

warms my heart

"ma-miraculous"

magical...

after all these years the old memories are still poking through her consciousness like feathers through a pillow cover

"but there appears to be a bear climbing the ladder. A big one."

what an irony, using the bear as an excuse to spy on then and then they get attacked by it themselves, it was probably about to attack the teens when DG scared it away and it went for the more silent prey

no worries, Elmer will just form his arms to blades and... oh wait, wrong policeman
Bookworm Gal chapter 16 . 5/22/2011
That last little bit was so ironic and amusing. I loved this final chapter of "Tik Tok" and can't wait for more stories soon.
EreshkigalGirl chapter 15 . 5/21/2011
I am aware of the strain of sporatic internet access and the sub-par food and/or beverages that accompany free access. My sympathies. Hopefully you'll be restored to full use soon.

As for this chapter: whoa. Gulch was super-pissed. Even a cyborg knows when danger lurks. Poor Gulch. They did set him up. Breaks a girls heart. But at least we know that in the future he will be compensated with a high-maintenance princess of his very own, with all of the privliges that that entails. Until then...*hugs Gulch*
KLCtheBookWorm chapter 15 . 5/20/2011
And Bobby is currently in protective custody for his own safety, pending a new identity far away from Kansas.

Emotions were such confounding input, so slow in their development, so utterly baffling in their arrival, so incomprehensible in their function, that it is only now as they concretely surface at the end, and far too late, that Hank realizes the tic toks may have done something incredibly...cruel. - *Cringe* It's a good thing we know Gulch is getting his own H.E.A. but still.