Reviews for What If
Megan McAlistair chapter 1 . 5/27/2011
looking for quality entertainment I though: hey, why not read some of your oneshots? and here I am

"A man might put his gun in there, he supposed, but only if his name was something other than Cain"

after so much time away it's nice reading about him again, I would grin at this but there is such a melancholic undercurrent in this text that won't let me

"a simple commoner like himself"

and there's the source, a grey outlook on the future, not dark, but not what everyone wishes for him either

"and having just come from one adventure, he wasn't entirely sure he was ready to start the next"

it sounds like he is... tired... like Magneto looked at the end of X-Men, without his powers

"for the purpose of invading his...bedroom"

it's what she does, being a fleck of slightly inappropriate colour behind storm clouds

"They're letting me select my own council of advisors and whatnot."

because we can only guess what that might lead to, since we know neither DG nor Cain nor you as an author

"because in truth, he'd hadn't had the foggiest idea what he else he might do"

what else than protecting the princess, indeed

once again proving that nothing can seperate them for long

cute little thing
unearthlyangel89 chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
So great, the ending was perfect!
T'PeeJ chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Very good. LOL!
Lauramichca chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
In a word, Perfect. Thank goodness you keep writing, even if I've been mainly absent.
Sic Vita Est chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
Lovely one-shot. :)
Serendipity's tears chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
You said it was a bastard orphan,but I say that those who have read any of your stories,this one included will want adoption rights! _~ especially because it has potential. _
A Southern Lady chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
another great story,a little different tinman personality coming 's a good one-shot, although you did leave it a little opened ended (hint hint)he he he...may your muse continue to entertain us!
Queen Isabella chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
I like this one just as it is. I think that it is a nice addition to your collection and that it fills in a little blank spot. Because I don't see Cain just wanting to lounge around and see him leaving to be independent. I also see DG not allowing him to get away from him, but understanding his need to be useful and have some pride. So yes, this was a nice little "orphan bastard child" and I don't really think it needs parents or siblings.
writer23 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
Really? A story dedicated to muah? What did I do to deserve such an honor? I feel like a 'hero of the eclipse'!

This was a fun short-story and I think it's fine to leave it alone. It's not my favorite way you've ever described Cain but I did love his relief when Deeg solved his problem. "By the way, you're hired". Love DG's spontaneity :)

I guess I don't buy Cain ever leaving in the first place: I guess I just don't think he'd be all that conflicted about staying close to his new BFFs and his son. But if he hadn't left, DG couldn't have been so funny...damn you paradox!

As always, you're a fun author to read and you write very well. Thanks again for the shout out!
forestofmyown chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
Yet another piece of priceless brilliance has spawned from your flighty muse _ Poor Cain, thou shalt never escape~! MWAHAHAHAHA.
The Fiction Spider chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
"That being so, I warn you now that this be an orphan bastard child, it has no friends, it is what it is and no more. The answer is NO!"

Yeah, right ;) We know you (and your muse) and that's just not gonna happen. 'Specially with an ending like that...

We want more... ;p

Bookworm Gal chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
I. Loved. It.

Great work. You have to wonder what Cain WOULD have done after the adventure, protecting D.G., saving the O.Z., etc. Keep up the great work on all your Tin Man stories.
nightdrive23 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
I love the fact that DG just prances into Cain's room without knocking...he could hsve been naked for all we know. :D

I actually think this story works really well as a prequel type shot to the Gulch-verse.
Miller0259 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011

I see this going many different places (despite your protests). But I can also see this being able to be absorbed into the Story-With-Many-Spinoffs so you may be quite safe actually.

Tee Hee. Leave it to Manly Man Cain to need a woman to tell him what to do. As it should be, of course, lol! ;)
friendlyquark chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
It cracks me up that she just sweeps in and hires him like that. LOL Impulsive, thy name is DG. LOL