Reviews for Maiden pride, adieu!
arinhel.melleide chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
This was absolutely wonderful! I wish so much that this had actually happened between them...
AllAboutObsessions chapter 1 . 11/2/2011
I like it. This seem like a way he could have accepted her.
DreamFlyer chapter 1 . 10/18/2011
While you say that it may seem old-fashioned in the controlling by the male in the relationship, I think that this story doesn't quite get there, which I love.

I love that you show Mary finally letting down her walls to Matthew, when she has been the controller of their relationship thus far. I love that she shows her love for him by opening herself up to his side, rather than always thinking of herself. I love that she is vulnerable.

Dreamwings
vyrastra chapter 1 . 7/1/2011
this is beautiful, simple, so very well executed. If only Mary in canon had been so level-headed-and desperately in love-as to think to ask Matthew to direct her, indeed the only possible way out! I do wish you would write more Mary/Matthew. Unlike so many, you do them so well.
theartistformerlyknownasgenevi chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Oh, this is lovely! My brain is somewhat fuzzy as I just got home from work (so I should probably reread and re-review at a later date), but for the moment, I'll say that the premise and the title drew me in: "Much Ado" is my favourite Shakespeare, and although I hadn't thought of comparing Beatrice and Mary, the comparison is quite apt. And I for one didn't find the interaction archaic at all, it was of its era, and I think that approach would lead to an eventual balance & compromise; I suspect that Mary needs Matthew to earn her respect by being a strong man as much as she needs to earn his forgiveness (of course, that's just my opinion).

In short, this piece was more subtle and believable than many that I've read, and I very much enjoyed it. Thank you!
OrangeShipper chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
I absolutely love this story! You've perfectly captured the dynamic as I see it between Mary and Matthew - she's so proud and independent, she would ONLY give up control of herself in that way to someone she really loved. I think it's absolutely perfect :) Old-fashioned sentiment of the man being in control it may be, but that's exactly why it's so perfect for Mary/Matthew!

Sorry for rambling, but I love it!
Cat1030 chapter 1 . 2/13/2011
I loved it totally!
brightlywoven chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
I like it. As a strong woman myself, I could never be happy with a man who would let me push him around...too much! I think love is yielding. And Mary doesn't yield easily.

Thanks for this charming piece.
Silvestria chapter 1 . 1/15/2011
I already reviewed on LJ but I just wanted to say here, since you were wondering, that the tone is perfect for the period - it's one of the hardest things about writing historical fiction (I've found), dealing with the simply different expectations of men and women's behaviour, and stories which somehow pretend that they are equals are a massive turn off to me!

Also, Benedict and Beatrice are a wonderful pairing to take for inspiration!
Molly460 chapter 1 . 1/15/2011
I loved it! I hope you consider writing more chapters, I would love to read and explore more about Mary and Matthew's lives together. And I must say, it doesn't bother me, that it's old fashioned, because as you said it is set in 1914, and the tone of the story would be strange if you had decided to do something more modern.
Deweynumbers chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
I rather like the way you have Matthew and Mary express themselves. They appear to me to have agreed to be partners, much as Beatrice and Benedick do, in combining their good points and trying to suppress their weaker instincts. Matthew will have to learn to express himself more freely and Mary to think of others before herself.

Maybe a word missing at the end of the 'Proud Mary ...'lines? Should that be 'rule herself'? A quibble. This piece is beautifully in character. I can easily picture the scene and it fits the period perfectly. Hope there will be more to follow.
tic tac toe 03 chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
I thought this was good- could have been padded out a bit more but in character and I loved it!

Tacxx
Cattie V chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
Very good! I love Matthew/Mary and I want them to end up together. They felt very in character and you did a good job of capturing their personalities.
Novindalf chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
Great idea! I've been trying to think of several scenarios in which to twist the ending of the series, but this is truly brilliant. Great work )