Reviews for Diamond in the Rough
loveaustralia chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
It would be really hard to let go of the hatred enough to see Sephiroth as being one of the people most wronged by Jenova. Compassion trumphs hate-go Tifa!

xLilly White chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Whoo! This is certainly promising! I admit I'm developping a certain fondness for this pairing, so it's always cool to see what other writers come up with when it comes to giving them an opportunity to interact; it's practically impossible to pair them up in an otherwise-than-alternate universe, so I wasn't too surprised when I saw that all the characters were alive and that the situation included the whole "Sephiroth as Jenova's puppet" theory. To be honest I love reading AU stories, but I would have no idea where to start with this pairing if I were writing one. You have so many possibilities! Like here, Sephiroth and Yuffie being fond of each other... xD Now that's something I've never come across!

Anyway, about the story itself - you have a flowing, limpid writing style with bouquets of vocabulary that come to compliment the fluid narrative every now and then - really, very enjoyable to read. For the moment you're staying pretty much comfortably in-character, so I'm curious to see how you'll take it from here, how the dialog between Sephiroth and Tifa is going to play out (two completely assymetrical personalities like that are always fun to clash together ). I like how you've incorporated the guys from Crisis Core and the roles they have; I do wonder how you're going to explain the fact that they're all alive... well, then again I suppose we don't really need to know that to fully appreciate the story, but.. still, I'm curious! :D

If I may offer a word of advice, this is a common theme (Sephiroth snapping out of Jenova's mind-control) so I hope you'll be careful with the easy, tempting clich├ęs, like making Sephiroth too weak (we all love it when they're tormented, but still, it has to be in the limits of the character's personality ). You do seem to have a good sense of what to allow when it comes to sentiment, so I'm pretty confident this is going to be an interesting take on this pairing! Good luck, I'll definately be keeping an eye on this. ;)
BloodyRoses chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
Brilliant. I knew you could pull this off! Doesn't mean I'm any less impressed though. You rock! Enjoyed the trip into Tifa's mind. And I really like where you ended the story. The first small overture was the pefect place to stop. I can't wait for more. You know you can never give up writing don't you? Your stories are my crack! I'm so addicted I think I might possibly keel over without them!