Reviews for The Old Men Choose, The Young Men Die
The What-If Writer chapter 1 . 5/10/2013
This was incredible insightful and deep. Very well done- and very thought-provoking about war in general. The title says it all, really. I like the different points of views from the soldiers, the ignorance and the portrayal of motives. Again, very well written.
RTS Fan chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
I like the cynical tone of this story, no sentimentality or glossing of war, just conflict between two races at its worse. No right or wrong either, just bad blood and old grudges coming to a head. War, which is the product of Humanity's basic instinct, never changes, even in a distant future. Nicely done.
Hawki chapter 1 . 3/31/2011
-I agree-the series's backstory is often overlooked, but I think mainly by sites (e.g. IGN) rather than fans per se.

-Haven't read 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom,' so I don't know if the writing style chosen is from it or your own creation. In regards to it, it has pros and cons. On one hand, it has a certain eloquence to it, e.g. the motivation section (first paragraph). On the other, it feels at times more like a summary rather than a story, especially when inserting the dates into brackets.

-Not inherantly an error, but I wouldn't have thought that the UCA would effectively be the de-facto ruler of the colonies, apparently surpassing the UCN in influence.

-Anyway, moving on to the characters...it was jarring at first, but I admit that this is at least partially due to my MO-seperate character POVs by chapter section and in many cases, reading other fics backs this up. However, it works in this case, switching from the helghast's to marine's (shouldn't he be "on" rather than "in" a dropship though, as per the nature of Intruders?) POV seemlessly. The "in and out in a month" line is something that I also noticed, as per its use in one of the trailers for 'Killzone 2.' Subtle, but effective and well placed.

Overall, very well written.