Reviews for Promises
childofspacegypsy1 chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
wonderful story! I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from you!
RevDorothyL chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
I'm impressed! Especially for a first attempt at fic in "Firefly" fandom, this is a heart-breaking, credible story (or the beginning of a story, since I'd love to know how Jayne proceeds to put this new plan into operation).

The bits about Mal and Jayne in relation to River were particularly insightful and moving, and the whole idea of contrasting Gabriel Tam's betrayal of his parental promises with Mal's fulfillment of promises he'd never made for the care and protection of River, culminating with Jayne's changed promise to himself in regard to River, was a wonderful theme to tie this chapter/story together.

I can see how this theme might've initally applied to Vala (whose father was SUCH a louse when he showed up on "Stargate: SG1" and whose gradual integration into the team and building up of trust made the final seasons more interesting than they'd otherwise have been), but I agree that it seems even more apropos for River.
alisosia chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
it would be nice to see how jayne helps her
RionaEire chapter 1 . 1/17/2011
Interesting story, I like how Mal tries to help River feel better. I would rather be touched and be content, have spark in me, then to be utterly lucid and know how rutting bad it is. I've thought about it a lot and I know what I'd choose. I know how it is.

CalmintheChaos chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
" Leaving simple facts, because facts are easier to hold onto than fading feelings and memories he doesn't trust as a true representation of their time 'd never been ashamed to call River his daughter. Now he's ashamed to call himself her father." Two beautiful lines of prose. They weigh so heavy when you read them. Perfect for this story.

Great concept for a fic as well! Very impressed at your first attempt!
spacegypsy1 chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
very nice. and a wonderful testament to Jayne... fix River and possibly himself. That is a story I would love to read.
Gotham Siren chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
This was an amazing first Firefly fic!

I enjoyed it a lot, especially the implied Pre-Rayne at the end:)

Welcome to the 'verse 'it's-Rayning-men'.