Reviews for The Black Company in Middle Earth
ktwontwo chapter 16 . 5/17
I enjoyed this immensely. It's been years since I read the Black Company (just how many I won't say...but I think I read most of the series first edition). You have nailed the tone of the originals as I remember them. I also liked Chapter 16. I'm always interested in how other authors use source material in their fictions.
TheDandyman chapter 16 . 3/26
I truly enjoyed reading this. I don't say that often on this site. I love The Black Company and have endlessly been trying to get people to read it. I describe it as 'Lord of the Rings with only humans, from the point of view of that Gondor Soldier them got shanked as soon as the gate busted open.' Which brings me to my one problem with the crossover, the uruks. One of the big things in the BC was that you don't need orcs to rape and pillage, humans do that just as well. But besides that, you had me. I really liked the tone shift of the two Annalists. I liked all the characters. In your BTS, you mentioned how you added some characters that never did anything, and that got me thinking of the BC itself and how they had so many different characters, but most didn't even survive the book. All in all, write something else about the BC, you seem to really capture the atmosphere, and you might have more personal experience to draw from when you get back. Best of luck to you, over there and back home.
PigDogAmerican chapter 3 . 1/21
Pretty awesome so far, the whole saving of the Gondorian nurse thing put me through a loop though. I mean, is this the Black Company or the White Knights... heh. The whole thing simply felt rather jarring in the midst of a slaughter of wounded soldiers, who the annalist considers enemies regardless, yet he rushes to save an able bodied nurse, who is not the enemy for some reason? He does realize he is fighting alongside inhuman creatures who he well knows delight in man-flesh, which he is fine with, but a random chick getting axed is out of the line? Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to the backwards values of the middle ages, its still a fun read anyhow. Thank you for writing it.
TMI Fairy chapter 16 . 7/8/2014
An interesting read, thank you.
Borys
Destrark chapter 15 . 5/26/2014
Sauron the Spear. I can not stop fucking laughing.
Elton chapter 16 . 5/16/2014
Really enjoyed this story. Was a Fan of he Black company in the 80s/90s, but fell out when in later College. Seemed the same thing kept occurring.
Great crossover. Brought back the early love of the series!

Thanks for letting me enjoy your world. I am off to check out some of your other stories now.

Have a Blessed Day,
Elton
hayatefan chapter 2 . 4/7/2014
I think Lady's no-rape rule might be canon for the Black Company. Doesn't seem implausible to me; she was all about ruthless but benevolent despotism. "Naked virgin walking safely across the Empire with a bag of gold."

Continued use of Soulcatcher's emblems was hilarious in the Books of the South, especially given the risk of her being able to magically track them. If they held onto the flaming skull through all of that, might as well keep going...
DRS chapter 1 . 4/7/2014
Still great!
Abderan Sophist chapter 12 . 1/12/2014
I do like that they still wear Soulcatcher's symbol, though you'd think it would have been replaced at some point.
Abderan Sophist chapter 3 . 1/12/2014
Hmmm. I don't really see Lady introducing a no-rape rule, nor can I really see it outliving her. An individual company member, or a few of them, taking it upon themselves to display a flash of heroism, sure; there's precedent for that. But I don't think the general company policy you put in the background makes much sense. Especially as in other respects this company seems if anything more morally lax than Cook's crew. One of the few things Cook's company ever does seem to show signs of having a problem with as a group is cannibalism, and your company seems cheerfully willing to turn a blind eye to the dietary habits of the uruks.
Chaosconetic chapter 16 . 8/14/2013
This has to be the best damn crossover I've ever read, and considering there's hardly any Black Company fics around anywhere it only makes this more of a sparkling gem. The Characters are true to the company, very believable yet it blends so well with LOTR universe. Saintly is my favorite for tricking everyone into believing the Annals were lost, the evil cheeky bastard.

I hope you decide to write more fics for the Black Company in future, they're so rare as it is.
Miguel51 chapter 16 . 6/10/2013
Oddly enough, this glossery (or whatever, it's 4am, gimme a break) was fairly helpful in helping me remember some stuff I'd forgotten since last reading either of these series. So thanks a bunch on that. Once again, excellent story. Thank you for writing it.
Miguel51 chapter 15 . 6/10/2013
Kinda sad Zim didn't stick around with the Company but I can't really blame her either. Anyhow, great story.
Miguel51 chapter 13 . 6/10/2013
Yeah...that last sentence? Our beloved Annalist probably shouldn't have said that. Sort of tempting fate,no? Only way to be certain though is to hit that next button...
Miguel51 chapter 11 . 6/10/2013