Reviews for South
CrimsonDomi chapter 1 . 3/1/2014
I can really see Shasta having problems to adjust to life in Archenland and a new name, and as one says "Absence makes the heart go fonder". Also, it's nice to see that Archenlanders can be just as bigoted as Calormen people.
Dan's Brain Twin chapter 1 . 1/31/2014
Thank you for this. It's really great. And after all the Fanfiction that I've read so far with this pairing, I must say that I'm so glad to find someone else who recognizes Shasta as SHASTA and not Cor, the Prince of Archenland. That's really nice. Again, great story, and I'm very pleased that you've addressed some of the issues in my favorite book of the Chronicles of Narnia.
Yes.It.Is chapter 1 . 4/25/2013
I love it.
Violet Breaths chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
I completely understand what you mean when you say the book has 'issues'. C.S. Lewis is a great author who has a way with words but the books are to black and white. Only the Narnians and Archenlanders are good. The rest are corrupt, backward or just plain evil. When I re-read the books again recently, I was struck by how Narnians and Archnlanders (the only good guys) are impossibly fair and pale. The Telmarines an Calormen are darkly coloured. I know I have to keep in mind that this book was written long ago when discrimination for skin colour was fairly common. But being an Indian with dark skin (I noticed That Calormen was a lot like ancient ancient India), I was somewhat disillusioned with what used to be one of my favorite books. Theoretically, Cor didn't have the best of lives in Calormen. That should make him dislike Calormen but he spent his childhood there. Childhood is when a person makes there preferences and decides their character. No one truly hates ALL parts of their childhood. I can see how Cor would be enthralled and delighted by the wonders of Archenland but I can't ever imagianing him being okay with the prejudiced attitude prevalent amongst 'Northeners' towards Calormen. Now that my rantings done, I'll give you my actual feedback for the story. Like I said above, both Aravis and Cor are more true to their character than they are actually in the books. Your writing style is different from Lewis' but I think I like your style better. Shasta/Cor is probably my favorite character is the series (just because he's so complex and is humble as well) and I'm glad that there are stories like your which capture him so perfectly.
FF.netfanHANNAH chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
It was a nice little fic. I've just re-read The Horse and his Boy too, and you do notice different things. I think you picked up on a few things children don't ever notice.

I liked it :)

*HannaH*
Heliopause chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
I especially liked the recognition of the energy of Calormen - especially Tashbaan, but everywhere. Thanks!
orangepekeo chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
Very good points, and expressed with flair. I, too, have "The Horse and his Boy" as a favorite, but story does have many unanswered questions and hovering dillemas. Well explored here.
Michael S. Repton chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
This is a really excellent piece - beautiful prose and emotional depth, and it really brings to life aspects of the world we didn't get to see much of in the books. You have real insight into the characters' feelings, and both Shasta and Aravis are very well written (which I like to see, as they're both great characters).

I don't normally read short pieces, but this one is definitely one of the best I've come across :) Many thanks for uploading it!
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Very interesting take to look at the cultural clash and possible problems both Shasta and Aravis would have assimilating into Archenland. "Here, do you ever…miss it? I don't mean the slaves and the Tisroc and the ropes of pearls and all that. I mean…the good things. The things you remember once they're gone forever." Kind of sums up the whole fic right there. Very well written, insightful (especially the bits where even the free Northerners aren't quite living up to Aslan's wishes), and I always liked the name Shasta MUCH better than Cor.
kel.kel.153 chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
Aww...so cute!

The horse and his boy is my favourite narnia book too, pity people don't write about it enough.

I love the story, and I do miss the name "Shasta"

It suits his character better than "Cor"
redrose7856 chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
Aw, so cute! Love it, love HHB! Great work!

Cheers!

redrose7856
El Reino chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
Oh! It's my favorite Chronicles of Narnia story too. But I think I should also read it again, then. I like the points you bring up and I dislike how even fanfiction writers themselves treat the Calormens like trash, when, in the end Shasta and Aravis were Calormens too.
QueXseraXsera chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
This is SUCH a good story. I like how you developed Cor's own worries about being a stranger in his own country. I also liked the little Cor. I also realize all these aspects about the story I never thought about when I was little! That's what I love about re-reading the books. Great job!
CinnamonDragon chapter 1 . 1/22/2011
Oh, finally a story about Cor's (sorry, Shasta's) feelings about leaving Calormen and living in Archenland! It became quite an issue for me recently (though I was concentrating more on Aravis' homesickness, not his) and I'm so glad you wrote about it. And put it into words so well, too.

I really like the fact that it's not only about missing a place (a house, for example) but that he also thinks about the people and of the differences between them. And that he sees that the world is not black and white or divided into good people of Archenland and bad Calormenes.

I also liked the conversation between him and Aravis because, even though it was short, it conveyed so many different feelings and showed that he would really be a great king and Aravis would always be there to support him. At least, that's what I think it was about ;)

So, thank you again for a wonderful story about my favourite characters.
Calyn chapter 1 . 1/21/2011
*bip*

This story hath been added to my community. I like to notify people of this, since FF doesn't. :D